You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Captain

Last night Carragher was a colossus. He lead by example. That run he made down the right hand side just before half time was a perfect example of this. Afterwards it crossed my mind that he should be given the armband permanently. Ok, so we may only get more season out of the leg' before he starts to falter, but I can't think of a better man at the moment. The commitment he puts in is an inspiration to the other players and the crowd. Even at his less favoured position.

Gerrard's form has been poor this season. Very poor. When Hyypia was captain he suffered a similar loss of form. Houllier stripped him of the captaincy (giving it to Gerrard of course) and he played arguably the best football of his Liverpool career afterwards, as did Gerrard. I just think taking that bit of extra pressure off Stevie might give him the freedom to play football. Knowing that the weight of Liverpool FC doesn't fall solely upon his shoulders.

The question remains whether or not Gerrard would be as accepting of the decision as Sami was. Whereas Sami took it, got his head down and carried on, what's to say Stevie wouldn't see his arse and we'd have another contract/transfer request situation? I doubt Rafa would do it however, given the recent press clippings about them having a bust up.

all too easy to say Paulie, he was awesome last night, but he was diabolical against reading, and not great in a number of other games this season.

Carra has always been a leader, and often by example, but he doesnt need the armband to do that.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I think sometimes the armband weighs heavy on Gerrard, and although your always going to get a performance from Carra when the chips are down, if Gerrard gave it up, I'd give it to Reina

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
You gain nothing in taking the armband from Gerrard. Carra does that shit whether he is captain or not.

Excellent point about Carra

There was a little exchange near the start between Degen and Carra where the ball went out for a throw and rolled up the line. Rather than get the ball and pass it back to Carra for the throw, Degen turned his back and took up his position for the throw in.

Carra shouted "Degen, get the fucking ball for fucks sake" or words to that effect.

There was a little exchange near the start between Degen and Carra where the ball went out for a throw and rolled up the line. Rather than get the ball and pass it back to Carra for the throw, Degen turned his back and took up his position for the throw in.

Carra shouted "Degen, get the fucking ball for fucks sake" or words to that effect.

Yeah that's where I noticed it. Made me laugh that did.

Degen didn't do it again.

I think sometimes the armband weighs heavy on Gerrard, and although your always going to get a performance from Carra when the chips are down, if Gerrard gave it up, I'd give it to Reina

I understand this comment as we all know responsibilities are a burden- however if you are a world class player you need to overcome the burden.

If Mascherano signed a long term contract he is the man for the job next. Carra is a born legend and in another time would have made a great captain. Dirk also leads the team well. Lead by example last night pushing forward and chasing everything down. This is where the team of captains helps us- but it needs to happen more often!!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

After everything that Gerrard has given us as Captain, I'd say that this would be a mistake. He's probably the best Captain we've had. If not, he's up there.

Carra doesn't need an armband or a title to do what he does.

You gain nothing in taking the armband from Gerrard. Carra does that shit whether he is captain or not.

Spot on.

Gerrard's influence as captain has kinda mellowed these days. When we are not playing well he sulks like a kid and that passes to the rest of the team. He's nowhere near the captain he was for example in Istanbul. But that's just my opinion.

i think taking the arm band off Stevie would be the most sure fire way of watching him sulk away from the club.

as was rightly pointed out earlier. Carra doesn't even need the arm band to be a captain. Nor does reina, and he's the same for Spain as well, where he barely even plays. He'd make an awesome captain and if we can keep hold of him, at only 27 or something now, he could be playing longe after Stevie and gerrard have gone and be captain then.

i think taking the arm band off Stevie would be the most sure fire way of watching him sulk away from the club.

as was rightly pointed out earlier. Carra doesn't even need the arm band to be a captain. Nor does reina, and he's the same for Spain as well, where he barely even plays. He'd make an awesome captain and if we can keep hold of him, at only 27 or something now, he could be playing longe after Stevie and gerrard have gone and be captain then.

*Chuckles*