You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kyrgiakos

1892-LFCWasBorn

Please tell me that's tongue in cheek?

He's had two good games! Every other time he's pulled on a red shirt he's been shite. And he will revert to type, he's a penalty or a red card waiting to happen. He's a replacement for Sami Hyppia and he's not a patch on Sami, not even close.

It was, but at the time I was caught up in the emotion

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's had two good games, and he always tries his heart out, but he's got a shocking barnet and he's always got an error in him.

I think that's a fair assessment. The one thing he offers us that Agger and Skrtel don't is that he's more of a threat at attacking set pieces. He's capable of causing some shit in the opposition defence, which is always nice to see.

The Greek has came in and epitomised what we have been lacking; Heart and Passion. The lad has been superb these past few games. Tonight he had Crouch in his pocket, and for the first time this season we have someone who will actually win a fuckin header. He's never going to carry the ball out or spray passes but that's not what he's in there for. He's an out and out defender and i've been very impressed with the lad's passion and fight he's showing for the shirt. We've looked a damned sight stronger, the Huth goal apart, with him in the team this week. Fair play to him, he's earnt his place now IMO.

I think that's a fair assessment. The one thing he offers us that Agger and Skrtel don't is that he's more of a threat at attacking set pieces. He's capable of causing some shit in the opposition defence, which is always nice to see.

I' throw in that he'll prove his worth in our own 16yard box as well... Ridiculous how bad we are in the air really. From Houllier's days (not missing those last couple of years, but I think you know what I mean) when most players would be 6ft plus and good/great in the air, now we only have Kyrgiakos, Lucas and Torres that are better than average at jumping/heading the ball. I know this doesn't sit well with the "purists", but fact is that about a third of the goals in the PL come from set pieces. I'd guess we have the worst scored to let in ratio from set pieces over the last 18-24 months in not only the PL, but the entire league system! I don't blame zonal marking btw, our scouting department/physical training crew (I think most teams look "fitter" than us, atleast in the strength/jumping/speed department, our stamina looks to be ok) would be nice to grill though... Edit: I know those physical qualities are hard to achieve, that's why I included the scouting department, as we could do with a few more "athletes" (although Babel goes a long way to explain that that's a slippery slope as well...).

Compare this:

Babbel - Johnson

Henchoz - Carra

Hyypia - Agger

Carra - Insua/Aurelio

Add Hamann, Heskey and even Gerrard to that, and you know why we scored a few more set pieces back then... I think for the rest of the season, Kyrgiakos needs to play every week, except perhaps Arsenal away, as they are even smaller/worse in the air than us.

He's started really well but you can't tell how good a player is until they've had a proper run of games. What we can say is that his game seems suited for the sort of no nonsense blood and thunder type encounters, of which there are a fair few in the Prem fixture list. If he continues to give wholehearted performances when called upon for this sort of game then he will work his way into the hearts of the fans.

On the whole I try not to overdo it with like/dislike for a player until they've been around for a bit, but fair play to the lad as he has done well so far.

He and Skrtel were great yesterday and very solid against Stoke. They owned Cruch and Defoe and I liked the way they exchanged positions as LCB and RCB the whole 90 minutes.

I think they deserve to get another shot cause they don´t deserve to be benched now.

He's garbage, but at the moment a brick shithouse is sort of what we need. He performs this function ably.

spot on. but credit where it's due, he's been decent in the last 2 games and has perhaps helped in rallying those around him. it's sad that we should be grateful for a player who gives 100% and helps his team mates, as to me that should be a minimum requirement of any player - but that ethos seems to have been swept away recently, so a bit of effort is greeted with celebration.

The Greek has came in and epitomised what we have been lacking; Heart and Passion. The lad has been superb these past few games. Tonight he had Crouch in his pocket, and for the first time this season we have someone who will actually win a fuckin header. He's never going to carry the ball out or spray passes but that's not what he's in there for. He's an out and out defender and i've been very impressed with the lad's passion and fight he's showing for the shirt. We've looked a damned sight stronger, the Huth goal apart, with him in the team this week. Fair play to him, he's earnt his place now IMO.

agree with all of that.

Kyriakos was brilliant, and I think the more he plays the better hopefully he will become for us.

I think him and Carra should be centre backs for the time being, level heads and experienced ones at that.

Agger for all his attacking ability still doesn't perform well enough for me defensively.

Guest Dog Chaser

Was excellent tonight, completely dominated Crouch and not many defenders can do that. Would have been nice if he had stuck his chance away, did all the hard work with the chest down but hit it straight at Gonad.

THe Kraken Wakes.

He's not really good enough but he offers what we've lacked all season - some dominance in the air at the back and he's made a big difference. We look far less shaky as a unit. He is also a far bigger threat from our set-pieces than any of our other central defenders - all of whom seem to close their eyes when in with a chance of a header on goal.

I'd carry on playing him against sides who play long-ball stuff but sooner or later he'll get skinned a few times and he'll revert to being "shite" again.

I like him.

Wins nearly everything in the air, always talking on the pitch and is a goal threat at set plays.

Deserves to stay in the team and as someone said he looks like he cares.

I'd carry on playing him against sides who play long-ball stuff but sooner or later he'll get skinned a few times and he'll revert to being "shite" again.

No doubt. But he is what he is. Useful in certain games and not the worst fourth choice central defender in the league. Can't fault him for effort anyway, and that's been a vanishingly rare quality this season.