You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gus Hiddink Agent has been approached by LFC?

Spy Bee

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So unless something is "confirmed" by some, as yet unspecified, organisation, then it can't have happened? Ok then. I'll keep it in mind.

Lucas shouldn't have had a penalty against Stoke as it hasn't been "confirmed".

Ferguson doesn't get favourable additional time due to the strong way he attacks referees and gets them dragged through the press, thus making them nervous to comment or give decisions, as this has never been "confirmed".

My last girlfriend can't have been an annoying slag, because it has never been "confirmed".

Grand so.

I wish to fuck it had been confirmed before I got with her.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC Sport - Football - Guus Hiddink 'to step down' as Russia coach this summer

Guus Hiddink has revealed he will step down from his role as Russia coach when his contract expires on 30 June.

The Dutchman, who failed to secure Russia's qualification to the World Cup in South Africa, announced his decision in Saturday's De Telegraaf newspaper.

The 63-year-old's comments could alert currently managerless teams who will be at the World Cup, including Nigeria.

Hiddink, who last season combined his Russia job with a spell at Chelsea, has also been linked with Liverpool.

Last month, Hiddink's agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen played down reports linking his client with a job at Anfield, saying he would only be available for a new role in August.

And that would scupper any potential deal for Hiddink to lead a side at the World Cup, which begins on 11 June - unless they can negotiate an early release from his contract.

Hiddink, who also attracted interest from Manchester City last december before they appointed Italian Roberto Mancini, said in his column in De Telegraaf: "After a very comfortable conversation with the new chairman of the Russian association we decided to break up on 30 June.

"We made the decision right now so the Russian association has enough time to find my successor."

Hiddink has a wealth of experience, taking the Netherlands to the World Cup semi-finals in 1998 and matching that feat with co-hosts South Korea in 2002 before helping the unfancied Australian team to the knockout stage in 2006.

Last year, he won the FA Cup with Chelsea while in his dual role but Russia missed out ona place in South Africa this summer. when they lost to Slovenia in the World Cup play-offs.

I don't want us to change managers at this point but if for whatever reason Rafa is not here next season I'd rather see a younger coach with a more attacking style than Hiddink.

Nah, if Rafa does go, a wise head to steady the ship should be the priority. And Hiddink's teams do, for the most part, play good positive football.

Nah, if Rafa does go, a wise head to steady the ship should be the priority. And Hiddink's teams do, for the most part, play good positive football.

There is a lot of merit in that point of view, however for me, Hiddink's teams are not as fluent, quick passing and attacking as some would have you believe.

I see what you're saying but it could be argued Rafa has an 'attacking philosophy overall'.

Could it? Hiddink is known for playing an attacking brand of football. I think you would be really stretching it to say that about any of Rafa's teams; even his Valencia team which played quite brilliant football at times was not about attacking but compressing the game, harrrying opponents and making quick transitions to attack.

Could it? Hiddink is known for playing an attacking brand of football. I think you would be really stretching it to say that about any of Rafa's teams.

That's my point exactly, I don't believe Hiddink does play an attacking brand of football.

That's why if there is to be a change in manager I would want a change in philosophy too.

That's my point exactly, I don't believe Hiddink does play an attacking brand of football.

That's why if there is to be a change in manager I would want a change in philosophy too.

You don't think Hiddink has a a different philosophy than Rafa?

His teams might not play all out attack free flowing football. But they play good positive football with an emphasis on pass and move football.

Hiddink's philosophy is based on Rinus Michel's "total football" philosophy and he's been lauded for producing teams with an open, positive style everywhere he's gone! He hasn't always been successful with it, but I can't credit you with knowing what you're talking about if you deny that.

It's actually almost the opposite philosophy to Rafa's!

Ridiculous argument.

Hiddink's philosophy is based on Rinus Michel's "total football" philosophy and he's been lauded for producing teams with an open, positive style everywhere he's gone! He hasn't always been successful with it, but I can't credit you with knowing what you're talking about if you deny that.

It's actually almost the opposite philosophy to Rafa's!

Ridiculous argument.

I know he hasn't always lived up to it.

I'm not saying he's a shite manager, I'm not saying his sides play shite football.

What I am saying is that I would like a more fluent, quick passing and attacking style than Hiddink.

I know he hasn't always lived up to it.

I'm not saying he's a shite manager, I'm not saying his sides play shite football.

What I am saying is that I would like a more fluent, quick passing and attacking style than Hiddink.

I'm a bit staggered by that. Who do you think produces such a style?