You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gus Hiddink Agent has been approached by LFC?

Spy Bee

All managers have some failures on their CV. Rafa was sacked by Real Valladolid and Osasuna for instance, but it didn't stop us hiring him. You have to balance it against their successes when you are trying to evaluate them.

Rafa wasn't in his fifties though when those failures occured! It seems as though every time he has had to step up, he is found wanting.

Yep, that's him. You forgot to mention that he won 6 league titles in Holland with PSV, 4 domestic cups with PSV and a European Cup with them too. Also won the FA Cup with Chelsea.

Managed to make South Korea finish 4th in the 2002 World cup too.

South Korea was a joke and owes more to bent refeering than anything else.

I notice most of his success has come with PSV, and covers two seperate stints! Walter Smith has won eight league titles and the rest with Rangers, he also took them to a European final, he failed at Everton!

I'm not dismissing where managers come from, and I am not dismissing Hiddink, but there are a lot of questions about Hiddink that everybody seems intent on ignoring, the media in particular.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa wasn't in his fifties though when those failures occured! It seems as though every time he has had to step up, he is found wanting.

South Korea was a joke and owes more to bent refeering than anything else.

I notice most of his success has come with PSV, and covers two seperate stints! Walter Smith has won eight league titles and the rest with Rangers, he also took them to a European final, he failed at Everton!

I'm not dismissing where managers come from, and I am not dismissing Hiddink, but there are a lot of questions about Hiddink that everybody seems intent on ignoring, the media in particular.

You could argue that Rafa's European Cup owes a hell of a lot to the decision of a linesman though.

As I said, some bad and quite frankly shithouse hatchetting of a very good manager's CV.

You could easily do the same with Rafa.

It's like when people select the best bits of a single player on youtube. Cutting and pasting to suit an agenda.

This is the same Hiddink who couldn't get Russia to the World Cup and was sacked by both Real Madrid and Real Betis?

Yes. He's also the same Hiddink that won the FA cup, and turned Russia from a joke into a strong side.

ps - Jesus Christ would get sacked from Real Madrid.

MARCA HEADLINE: JESUS CHRIST'S CROSS TOO MUCH FOR MADRID TO BARE!

aye it is - and is also the same Hiddink who'd have to put up with the same yank cunt owners and the same limited transfer funds as Rafa.

maybe Purslow sounding him out as a candidate for next season - with or without the current owners in charge....

still don't think they will get rid of Rafa mid season and their ideal scenario is that they are not here next season having left with a whole wad of cash

After soundly thumping us by tactically schooling Rafa Benitez last year, Hiddink only missed out on the CL Final by an extra time wonder goal with Chelsea.

I'm not ignoring his failures, but he's shown himself to be a world class manager.

You could argue that Rafa's European Cup owes a hell of a lot to the decision of a linesman though.

As I said, some bad and quite frankly shithouse hatchetting of a very good manager's CV.

You could easily do the same with Rafa.

It's like when people select the best bits of a single player on youtube. Cutting and pasting to suit an agenda.

Still questions though!

He isn't Cappello, or Lippi, to me there are huge question marks over his ability to step up, and at 65 I am not sure he will.

By the way, was this linesman the one who didn't spot the blatant handball when it was 1-0?

Rafa's agent approached Liverpool around February time in 2004. Houllier was only sacked after the season had ended.

So it was true when Rafa told Valencia and their fans that Liverpool had not approached him.

I think it may have been earlier than that. I know his agent rang up Parry after a defeat at Portsmouth, was that in January, I can't remember.

It's clearly not possible to have a discussion on here that isn't skewed by Rafa bias one way or the other.

Hiddink is a class manager

he wants to play a good style of attacking football and we as fans would lap that up after Rafa's defensive style

obviously getting on a bit so his number 2 would have to be someone he could groom to take over imo

very much doubt he would come here with dumb and dumberer in charge as it currently stands though (ie no cash & no stadium)

Still questions though!

He isn't Cappello, or Lippi, to me there are huge question marks over his ability to step up, and at 65 I am not sure he will.

By the way, was this linesman the one who didn't spot the blatant handball when it was 1-0?

I'm not saying the linesman in that game was bent, I'm just using that as an example how you could argue that the successes and failures on a manager's CV can come about through the decisions of the officials. If you use that argument for Hiddink, then surely you've got to use it for other managers as well?

I'm not directing this squarely at you, mate, but there's a hell of a lot of people on here who don't half put words in your mouth. You say one thing, perhaps as an example, and people immediately seize on it as one of your own opinions, and to be honest, it stinks.

Going back to the South Korea thing, personally, I don't think that any of the refs were bent. I just think that, rightly or wrongly, the hosts of the World Cup tend to get the rub of the green when it comes to decisions because of the pressure a home crowd can have on swaying a referee's view of the game.

It's clearly not possible to have a discussion on here that isn't skewed by Rafa bias one way or the other.

It's one of the things that bothers me about this site, mate. The 'pro-Rafa' and 'anti-Rafa' crews (I'm off to hose myself down for using those two absurd terms) are always intent on spinning things to suit their own agendas at the risk of firmly entrenching themselves into one line of thought, even if there are times when it makes them both look like dickheads.

The fact is, the blame is never squarely down to x or y. It's always, always a combination of a number of things. The truth is never black or white. Always in shades of grey. The more people that realise this, then the better this site will get.

Don't see anybody on this thread mentioning Rafa, just questioning whether or not a proposed replacement is the right man for the job!

I'm not saying the linesman in that game was bent, I'm just using that as an example how you could argue that the successes and failures on a manager's CV can come about through the decisions of the officials. If you use that argument for Hiddink, then surely you've got to use it for other managers as well?

Going back to the South Korea thing, personally, I don't think that any of the refs were bent. I just think that, rightly or wrongly, the hosts of the World Cup tend to get the rub of the green when it comes to decisions because of the pressure a home crowd can have on swaying a referee's view of the game.

That's a fair point regardin the Ref, doesn't really make a difference at the end of the day.

I am reluctant to use International coaching as proof, to me it is completely different, for instance his main success seems to have been with Austrailia, South Korea and to a lesser extent Russia, the pressure to actually win the tournament was never there with any of those, whereas with ourselves that pressure would be there every day. Which is why I am more interested in how he has coped at the likes of Madrid, etc.

I'm not averse to him, particularly if the alternative is the other short arsed twat, but would like to see us look a bit further beyond the obvious, I was intrigued by Babel but he has since been sacked!

I'd have Maradona, if anything just for his press conferences!

Don't see anybody on this thread mentioning Rafa, just questioning whether or not a proposed replacement is the right man for the job!

That's a fair point regardin the Ref, doesn't really make a difference at the end of the day.

I am reluctant to use International coaching as proof, to me it is completely different, for instance his main success seems to have been with Austrailia, South Korea and to a lesser extent Russia, the pressure to actually win the tournament was never there with any of those, whereas with ourselves that pressure would be there every day. Which is why I am more interested in how he has coped at the likes of Madrid, etc.

I'm not averse to him, particularly if the alternative is the other short arsed twat, but would like to see us look a bit further beyond the obvious, I was intrigued by Babel but he has since been sacked!

I'd have Maradona, if anything just for his press conferences!

Ha ha- I'd give anything to hear Rafa tell a load of journalists that they can suck his dick and keep on sucking!

Yep, that's him. You forgot to mention that he won 6 league titles in Holland with PSV, 4 domestic cups with PSV and a European Cup with them too. Also won the FA Cup with Chelsea.

Managed to make South Korea finish 4th in the 2002 World cup too.

To be fair. That had nothing to do with him.

Also, he only managed third in the league (behind us) and semis of the CL. He is also 63. I really don't get the big clamour for him.