You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gus Hiddink Agent has been approached by LFC?

Spy Bee

How he failed all over the shop with one of the best squads in world football?

Little bit innacurate, he took a team which had won nothing for five years to two league titles and a Champions League trophy in his first three years there, before being sacked after going two years without a trophy. Rafa would love that kind of failure with us.

Oh and that squad? Built under Rijkaard.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit innacurate, he took a team which had won nothing for five years to two league titles and a Champions League trophy in his first three years there, before being sacked after going two years without a trophy. Rafa would love that kind of failure with us.

He won nothing after Henk Ten Cate left, correct?

It doesn't really matter where the squad came from. Anyone could have seen that the likes of Eto'o, Henry or Deco were good players.

When he didn't have Ten Cate to do the man management stuff, he won nothing and got sacked.

See my response to your earlier post on this subject. The one you've just responded to there was a question for dirty_sanchez.

If Rijkaard is a failure for not winning anything for two years after his assistant left though, I am presuming you think Benitez is a bigger one?

Personally I wouldn't say either is a failure precisely.

See my response to your earlier post on this subject. The one you've just responded to there is to dirty_sanchez.

If Rijkaard is a failure for not winning anything for two years after his assistant left though, I am presuming you think Benitez is a bigger one?

I'm not going to play Rafaphobe vs. Rafaphile with you. This was about Rijkaard.

So basically Rafa is the only good manager in world football and should be given the job for life?

It's strange that some fans are so desperate to defend Rafa from what they percieve as unfair criticism, and then without a moments hesitation write off every other manager who has more than proved themselves at the top level.

I believe he was sacked because he was a success.

If winning two league titles and a Champions League trophy in five years for a club which had won precisely nothing in the previous five years is now regarded as a failure, then standards have risen to a degree I find incomprehensible.

If winning two league titles and a Champions League trophy in five years for a club which had won precisely nothing in the previous five years is now regarded as a failure, then standards have risen to a degree I find incomprehensible.

It wouldn't be so incomprehensible if you didn't polarize everything.

As Piscinin says, let's not try and turn this into a pro or anti Rafa argument. We were talking about the pros and cons of Frank Rijkaard as a managerial option for us. Rijkaard's appointment was a political one anyway, as he had no notable success beforehand in any previous roles. Presumably he was recommended by Cruyff.

I think that Rijkaard was a failure in the end. His squad in his last season included pretty much every player that Guardiola won six trophies with in the following one, bar Alves and Keita. His appointment yielded a short term success which he ultimately couldn't sustain despite having world class players in almost every position. I think most managers of a decent level of competence could have won the league with the squad that he had to start with, and many managers would have been able to sustain it.

I wouldn't want Rijkaard as a manager for us personally (I don't even like him), but to call him a failure is a joke. For me it just shows how much some people appear to have completely lost their grip on reality in an effort to defend Benitez.

I repeat, I don't think either is a failure, but it is possible to come to the end of the road in a managerial job, especially one with a high degree of pressure for success.

I think that Rijkaard was a failure in the end. His squad in his last season included pretty much every player that Guardiola won six trophies with in the following one, bar Alves and Keita.

Ludicrous. In that case, is Rafa a failure seeing as we came so close last season and have since fallen apart despite having pretty much the same squad, bar Alonso and Arbeloa?

It's easy this managing lark isn't it?