You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Liverpool Syndrom

myrlas

What is that, you might think?

After the discussions and general rambling about football, and our favourite team entered the arena called the internet, I have seen a type of behaviour that never goes away. It's there during good periods, and during bad spells. It's there in the summer, in november, in february and in april.

It comes in different shapes, from different persons. And it's not a syndrom Liverpool supporters are alone of being infected from. I suppose it's present where football is discussed.

But.

I have always found it a bit strange. I mean an infected person could rightly use some of the symptoms of this infection during banter with opposing fans, to defend our team. I would understand that.

But in house, where liverpool fans discuss liverpool topics with other liverpool fans I find it very strange that it occurs.

The Liverpool syndrome is the words IF ONLY.

We're blaming everything from the staff to the pitch to the players. We're moving our hopes from the players we actually have to the players we "could have had". If only they still were here...then things would have been much better. That goes for injured players, players we've sold and even players we haven't bought yet (and most likely never will be). And the latest excuse; money. Or the lack of money.

Our main target is winning the league. I think I speak for many on here when I say that. When we now fail yet again, it's easier to say that if only we bought him in the summer, if only Torres/Gerrard/Yossi/Agger (insert any player who is injured at any time during the season) stayed fit, if Kuyt hired Maradona as his mentor, if Alonso stayed, if we only had more money, if Stoke were a real football team, THEN...THEN it would have been our season.

When we win we're the best thing since sliced bread. When we loose there's a reason for it.

Well that's not the way it works folks.

"Losers talk about the future to cover up for present failings. That is a phenomenon you find everywhere...not only in football. Winners they don't talk that much...they act."

I'm only asking of some perspective here...

After all we're supposed to be the most knowledgable fans around...or?

The myrlas syndrome:

Create a crazy thread with many generalizations, bandwagon statements.

Get negged.

Get made fun of.

Posts a "witty" political cartoon which he doesn't really understand, seeing as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. For those who didn't see it before he edited his post, it was about the political situation of China or something.

Edits his post, and changes is to a picture of a man burying his head in the ground, making the bold statement, "this is all of you!!!!!"

After the discussions and general rambling about football, and our favourite team entered the arena called the internet, I have seen a type of behaviour that never goes away. It's there during good periods, and during bad spells. It's there in the summer, in november, in february and in april.

QUOTE]

Sorry mate had to pick you up on that and your thread title...

It comes in different shapes, from different persons. And it's not a syndrom Liverpool supporters are alone of being infected from. I suppose it's present where football is discussed.

But.

I have always found it a bit strange. I mean an infected person could rightly use some of the symptoms of this infection during banter with opposing fans, to defend our team. I would understand that.

But in house, where liverpool fans discuss liverpool topics with other liverpool fans I find it very strange that it occurs.

The Liverpool syndrome is the words IF ONLY.

We're blaming everything from the staff to the pitch to the players. We're moving our hopes from the players we actually have to the players we "could have had". If only they still were here...then things would have been much better. That goes for injured players, players we've sold and even players we haven't bought yet (and most likely never will be). And the latest excuse; money. Or the lack of money.

Our main target is winning the league. I think I speak for many on here when I say that. When we now fail yet again, it's easier to say that if only we bought him in the summer, if only Torres/Gerrard/Yossi/Agger (insert any player who is injured at any time during the season) stayed fit, if Kuyt hired Maradona as his mentor, if Alonso stayed, if we only had more money, if Stoke were a real football team, THEN...THEN it would have been our season.

When we win we're the best thing since sliced bread. When we loose there's a reason for it.

"Losers talk about the future to cover up for present failings. That is a phenomenon you find everywhere...not only in football. Winners they don't talk that much...they act."

You're better qualified to start threads on "the Down's Syndrome"

If only the original post & responses were better, this might be a decent thread.

No seriously. I find it pretty annoying that we can't call a spade a spade in house. Not been on here long enough to know if it's better around here, but I've seen plenty of examples already.

How interesting is it really, to speculate in hindsight how the Stoke result could have been if only Gerrard played?

If only the original post & responses were better, this might be a decent thread.

No seriously. I find it pretty annoying that we can't call a spade a spade in house. Not been on here long enough to know if it's better around here, but I've seen plenty of examples already.

How interesting is it really, to speculate in hindsight how the Stoke result could have been if only Gerrard played?

At first I thought you were just evil, now I can see your nuts....

......much more funnier if you watch Austin Powers.

Your attempting to recreate the wheel mate, with one unfortunate downside, yours is square.

"If only" are the post transcripted words for hope, ie i hope we beat Stoke, i hope Rafa signs Villa etc etc.

If only is a dream, long after the event has happened, ie if only i won the lottery then I'd definitely be able to bum Paris Hilton, do you see where your going?

Or what? Are we all stupid because we discuss contingencies, things that might happen?

I agree that it is pointless talking about Alonso, Crouch, Bellamy, Riise and so on. They have left and we must look to the present and future. Does that preclude us from talking about any other "what if", or are we only allowed to discuss what has actually happened or, if it's a future event, something that's a virtual certainty? I don't get it.

Are you here to tell us how these things work? What "perspective" are you looking for? I suspect it's this: none of the "what ifs" are relevant and we must look to blame the manager, it's all his fault - am I right? Is that the perspective you want?

Wouldn't really have made a difference, seeing as he has a hamstring strain.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Last season people were talking about how solid we were in defence, and that we were the better team, and that if only we were better at breaking down teams that parked the bus, we'd take the step needed for winning the title.

This season it's injuries/selling alonso/not having anough funds/shitty defence.

Next season it might be the new manager needing time/this and that player needs time to settle/exhausted players after the world cup.

It's about the lame excuses. I don't like them :tease:

I know when a mong is a mong.

You are a mong.

I know when a mong is a mong.

You are a mong.

FFS. People have been calling for Nemeth, and think Pacheco is our saviour. That'll do until the actually GET a chance, and the same people start to moan that N'Gog wasn't that bad, and we could use Torres up front :)

And I'm the mong?

FFS. People have been calling for Nemeth, and think Pacheco is our saviour. That'll do until the actually GET a chance, and the same people start to moan that N'Gog wasn't that bad, and we could use Torres up front :)

It's only natural for us to get our hopes up when we see the younger players play well.

But you're right about a general lack of patience when it comes to them being given regular runs in the team. They will make mistakes, occasionally look overwhelmed and sometimes play incredibly poorly. That's when we need to hold our fire and accept that they're learning etc...

It's not always easy to be patient though. Most of the frustration that you refer to on this forum, is born out of immense disappointment at the way this season has slipped away.

Insua, Lucas, Ngog etc will, in my opinion, really benefit from the nightmare that is the 2010 season.