You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He obviously has the potential, but on the other hand so does Babel and in my opinion Babel still poses more of a threat despite his lack of effort and silly mistakes. I'd like to see Babel starting up front against Unirea as he is more similar to Torres and it might also suit Gerrard better.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ngog deserves his place over Babel because he at least puts the effort in

It depends on what you want. Goals or a half decent performance. Maybe Babel can even find his last bit of confidence if he gets some proper backing from Rafa and grabs the opportunities he gets. I thought he looked fresh tonight. I know there's a huge risk involved, but the lad has to step up and regain the form he had two seasons ago sometime.

He obviously has the potential, but on the other hand so does Babel and in my opinion Babel still poses more of a threat despite his lack of effort and silly mistakes. I'd like to see Babel starting up front against Unirea as he is more similar to Torres and it might also suit Gerrard better.

Ngog understands the game better than Babel will when he's 50 and Babel's peach of a turn and shot tonight doesn't change that one bit.

In my schooldays, I was quite genuinely the worst football player you have ever seen and yet I understand the game better than Ryan Babel. I know, I find it incredible too, but it's true. You also understand the game better than Ryan Babel. My fucking mum understands the game better than Ryan Babel.

If the reported fees of £11m and £1.5m are correct, we could have signed 7 David Ngogs for what Babel cost. (Well, we couldn't obviously, not without some hideous cloning experiment and a load of lumpy, ill-formed rejects to dispose of, government officials to bribe and a whole host of other problems, but work with me here...)

Given a choice, I'd definitely rather have 7 David Ngogs than 1 Ryan Babel.

I'm not even saying I disagree with your point about the Unirea game, so long as you agree that starting Babel in any match is a gamble. Not only has Lady Luck refused to smile on us this season, at times she's pissed in our faces.

Given a choice, I'd definitely rather have 7 David Ngogs than 1 Ryan Babel.

Definently, alot of people seem to think Ngog is utterly shite because he didn't do well on his own up front against Arsenal.

The kid had barely any support. In my opinion he did his best.

In saying that, there was times I wanted to put my fist through the wall because he either couldn't get the ball under control or just basically ran in straight into an Arsenal player.

He definently has a long way to go. But hes not shite. Babel might have been a better option but christ Babel has been just as bad if not worse than Ngog was tonight. At least Ngog has shown some glimpses of quality.

Edit: In fairness Babel has shown glimpses of quality too but also an incredible ability to run the ball straight into the corner flag.

I'm sorry but he's nowhere near Liverpool standard. We will never win the league with players like him.

As a fourth choice striker we might, he is not at the level required at the minute and wether he ever is, who knows.

Considering what we payed for him and the service he is getting, I cannot knock him, it is not his fault he has been thrown in at the deep end and his attitude has been spot on.

We need better every man and his dog knows that.

He isn't up to the task of playing up front on his own as he doesn't possess the ability to create chances all by himself. Torres does, but there have been matches where Torres has struggled up front on his own. The fact that we haven't brought in a striker in two windows is the problem, not N'Gog.

one thing for sure is the lad needs to but on a bit of weight or build some muscle. as he will get pushed around to easy

Yes I described him as lightweight earlier on the thread. He is young and will improve but he just doesn't have the aura of someone who will ever be better than a sub at this level. Look at most of the best strikers around they'd shown much more by this age. Not his fault that he has been thrust into the limelight, we should have had cover.

unfortunately almost every discussion thread on this site when we are struggling like this (and i include the previous 7 games in the struggle) comes down to 2 things.

1. Our squad players arent good enough; and

2. We can't play this fucking 4-4-1-1 system without Torres.

It is that simple. So, as we are a third of the way through February, and the window is as firmly shut as the nice one on the Everest advert with that knob off wish you were here, we can't do anything about the first point. So what does that leave?

Change the fucking system.

It's futile arguing about whether it should be N'gog, Babel, Kuyt or Me leading the line up front. It's futile talking about whether Gerrard should play with Masch and let Aquilani (who?) ahead of him, or whether Gerrard should be doing a job on the right, or any of these other permutations, because this shitty system doesnt work with the players we have available.

It only just works with Torres up there, and its no fucking wonder that he misses so many games, as I doubt there is a striker in the world that has to work so hard in a system.

Until Torres is back, we have to fuck this formation off, and who knows, if we find something else that works, maybe even stick with it when the Kid comes back.

I'd put him up front with Babel, personally. Y'know, to actually have a strike force with the pace and strength to worry opposition defences.

Neither of them are experienced enough to go on and lead the line themselves but a combination of the two has the potential to be deadly. It won't happen, though. It'll be either N'gog alone or Dirk, and then we'll wonder why we don't have enough of an outlet in the final third.