You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the first 10 minutes of the game (therefore the first goal!) because the picture decided to go, but at one point in the first half, I think when Degen and Bale were getting treatment, Rafa and 'Arry were having a minor argument about the seriousness of the foul, and Rafa called in Sammy to explain. When the Spurs fans started with the tedious "Sacked in the morning" chant aimed at Rafa, I'm sure I could here Liverpool fans counter with "Taxed in the morning" as a swipe at 'Arry's recent indiscretions. If true, it's funny as fuck, and a change from the silence we've had recently.

Without wanting to make this a biased piece on Sky's supposed agenda against us, they spent an awful lot of time talking about the fact Spurs last won at Anfield in 1993, and how Defoe had never scored here. It seemed as though they were itching for Spurs and Defoe to redress the balance. When they played ManU at Old Trafford last year, I saw some of the pre-match build-up, and they didn't show highlights of the last Spurs win there like they did tonight. I would like to think that was because of it being before the Premier League era, but somehow I just think they skirted the issue.

Delighted with the win. I thought at times the performance was full of heart and spirit, totally encapsulated by Carra's determination whereas in other spells it was pretty worrying! You can't expect to just slip into top gear, especially when you're having a disastrous season so the win is welcome.

Finishing in the top four is massively important to the club so we just have to hope that we click into gear and start stringing the wins together.

RR, I'm not dismissing anything. He's had a poor season so far but he's my favourite player. Even when he's playing shit I can't help but love watching him play. Maybe I'm mental. It's the recent call to sell him that bothers me. This is the player that apart from Pepe has been available and played all season when all others are injured around him. He's played in a shit unbalanced inconsistent hotchpotch of teams. But he's been there time after time.

I've had a few and i'm not coherent (as ever) but I'm nor going to excuse myself being proud of the fellar when he's won the game for us scoring a hat-trick(ish).

Come on, this hasn't been in doubt for a long time ;-)

I want to stress to you and the rest of the forum that this post isn't an exercise in Dirk-bashing. I've replied to this because I think Thants is a pretty sound chap and his impassioned (i.e. drunken) defence of the Dirkster moved me sufficiently that I felt I should respond.

First off, you're right - you didn't dismiss anything. I saw your post and knowing that you are one of Dirk's greatest admirers and defenders, I think I made a poorly-judged pre-emptive strike.

Now, to the meat of it. He was great tonight enough times to win us the game and especially with our season in the state it's in, it was vital that we won. I don't think for a minute that you shouldn't be proud of him for what he did tonight and I'm delighted for him myself. One thing I've never doubted about Dirk is that as a bloke, he seems to be the salt of the earth. As others have said, taking the pen took cojones, especially with the retake and on top of that, his first goal was an absolute peach of a finish.

Still, I've made my mind up about him and it's not going to be changed by 90 minutes; I said we should have sold him back in the summer for the reasons in my original post and it's not a decision I reached lightly. If you looked back over my posts, you'd see a gradual shift from blind adoration of his workrate and character to an appreciation that the money from his sale and his wages could perhaps be better spent on a player more suited to what we need from the right side of midfield.

I still love his character and his workrate, but in the current financial climate at the club, my opinion is that we can't afford the luxury of a player in an attacking position who often offers industry alone.

There are players at the club that I'd sell before Dirk, no question; his countryman would be a very obvious candidate for a start, but he'd have to hit a serious streak before I'd want him with us next season and even then, I would still know that despite his fantastic goal tonight, he isn't a player that can deliver that level of technical ability on a regular basis.

Anyway, I didn't pass comment because I wanted to have a go at him after a match-winning performance tonight (and that first goal really was the shit), I would just have felt like a totally fake cunt if I suddenly started blowing smoke up his arse when it's only a fortnight ago that I was saying he shouldn't be getting a start.

I thought we did well but it was a scrappy game. They had an awful lot of the ball but did zero with it. We showed a lot of heart and fight but you can tell our confidence is at an all time low because there was no conviction from a lot of the players.

I thought Kuyt was excellent and took his penalties brilliantly, though he cannot miss chances like he did at this level, you just can't. His hold up work was pretty good as he was badly isolated. There was encroaching again second time round but nothing was done about it... few things wind me up more. Either blow up every time or never. Mr Webb had an all round shocker I thought, for both teams. We should have won by 4 or 5 to be honest, the chances Kuyt (twice) and the Greek missed should be getting buried. We were pretty comfortable all game but we'll need to play a lot better than that because we were poor in possession sometimes. And Spurs were very, very poor.

However, I'll take a win and hope we continue to improve as we've been markedly better in our last two games.

I can't disagree with RR. Dirk's finish for the first goal tonight was excellent but unfortunately tonight told the tale of his Liverpool career. From the sublime to the ridiculous, at times within a couple of minutes of each other!

He's just too inconsistent.

I can't disagree with RR. Dirk's finish for the first goal tonight was excellent but unfortunately tonight told the tale of his Liverpool career. From the sublime to the ridiculous, at times within a couple of minutes of each other!

He's just too inconsistent.

But as you just pointed out-he does that all the time.

I thought we did well but it was a scrappy game. They had an awful lot of the ball but did zero with it. We showed a lot of heart and fight but you can tell our confidence is at an all time low because there was no conviction from a lot of the players.

I thought Kuyt was excellent and took his penalties brilliantly. There was encroaching again second time round but nothing was done about it... few things wind me up more. Either blow up every time or never. Mr Webb had an all round shocker I thought, for both teams. We should have won by 4 or 5 to be honest, the chances Kuyt (twice) and the Greek missed should be getting buried. We were pretty comfortable all game but we'll need to play a lot better than that because we were poor in possession sometimes. And Spurs were very, very poor.

However, I'll take a win and hope we continue to improve as we've been markedly better in our last two games.

I couldn't believe how bad Spurs were. They missed a real chance to beat us tonight, in my opinion. At times they were in behind and had about three or four options; really simple passed to create clear-cut openings but they totally fluffed their lines. Obviously we have to be very thankful for that!

Let's hope our luck is turning a bit.

I hope so Brownie, but I only remember Pepe making 3 saves of note tonight. One from a free kick which was given as a foul anyway, one from Jenas that he pushed over and one in first half injury time when he had to come out.

We were there for the taking, and they didn't impress a bit.

Yeah that's what I mean; they hardly troubled Reina despite getting into the final third with ease and having good openings. I was thoroughly unimpressed with them.

Was pleased with the performance of Aquilani tonight, it would seem that the position he played tonight better suits him at this early stage of his career in the Premier League, than the position he has occupied in previous appearances.

Aquilani played the role in the hole the way I think it should be played, and the way I think Gerrard should play it when fit.

For me, Gerrard plays this role a little too high up the pitch, and effectively plays as a striker some times, with his back to goal and little room to maneuver. Gerrard's major strength is his ability to run from a deep lying position with power, and this is obviously lacking when he has his back to goal for the majority of a game.

Aquilani on the other hand dropped that bit deeper and got involved in the midfield battle, without having to sacrifice any attacking threat. He made sure that we were rarely overrun in the centre of the park, but at the same time ensured that the gap between the midfield and forward was not too big.

Was pleased with the performance of Aquilani tonight, it would seem that the position he played tonight better suits him at this early stage of his career in the Premier League, than the position he has occupied in previous appearances.

Aquilani played the role in the hole the way I think it should be played, and the way I think Gerrard should play it when fit.

For me, Gerrard plays this role a little too high up the pitch, and effectively plays as a striker some times, with his back to goal and little room to maneuver. Gerrard's major strength is his ability to run from a deep lying position with power, and this is obviously lacking when he has his back to goal for the majority of a game.

Aquilani on the other hand dropped that bit deeper and got involved in the midfield battle, without having to sacrifice any attacking threat. He made sure that we were rarely overrun in the centre of the park, but at the same time ensured that the gap between the midfield and forward was not too big.

I said that almost verbatim to a mate last week, spot on. Those driving runs that Stevie makes scare the mortal shit out of the opposition, it's what much of his reputation is founded on.

I said that almost verbatim to a mate last week, spot on. Those driving runs that Stevie makes scare the mortal shit out of the opposition, it's what much of his reputation is founded on.

To be honest mate, I have mentioned this on a few occasions on other threads. Whilst I in no way think the Gerrard / Torres axis should be removed, I do think that either Gerrard has to adapt his style of play if he wants to continue playing as high up the pitch as he has been, or he has to drop that touch deeper to utilise his major strengths.

Good performance, excellent result. I think everybody played well and we showed great spirit.

Few mentions:

- Carra looked very strong today

- Skrtel looked very good ( also against Stoke) and had Defoe in his pocket the whole nightand is great to see him back closing to his best. It seems funny but him and Kyrgiakos (who killed Crouchie yesterday looked like our best CB pair yesterday

- Riera taking setpieces can be a good option

- finally I have to say that I´ve seen Lucas having a quality match

- Kuyt MOM for me

Please do not take anything away from our magical night last night.

But I seemed to have disagreed with the above comment. I think Gerrard plays it perfectly. Aquailani on the other hand did a great job, however i needed to see him on the ball alittle bit more. A few more passes sprayed around as it got a little bit congested at times- however if we win like that every week, who gives a shit?

To be honest mate, I have mentioned this on a few occasions on other threads. Whilst I in no way think the Gerrard / Torres axis should be removed, I do think that either Gerrard has to adapt his style of play if he wants to continue playing as high up the pitch as he has been, or he has to drop that touch deeper to utilise his major strengths.

Spot on there Al.

I am just so relieved of the points. Whatever Monty says, that motherfucker WAS a six pointer. Mathematically we would still be in with a chance, but our fragile morale would have been shot, so it was utterly vital that we got three points. We deserved it too. yes they had chances, but we had more. I was nervous in the second half when we let Spurs back into the game more and more, but we held on.

Dirk has been discussed a lot on this thread and I agree that he missed some good chances last night, but I still love him. I am glad we have Maxi as an option out on the right and he will be used more and more. But for all his shitness he is still in the top 10 of scorers in the Prem, having scored the same number as Arshavin, Berbatov, Carlton Cole and Anelka, who plays as a striker in a team scoring goals for fun. Scoring two is always good. Yes one was a penno, but given the pressure on him for that, not just due to the time, but also the retake, you have to applaud that. Torres often has matches where he looks out of sorts, but then a flash of brilliance means he scores and, quite correctly, the rest of his performance is ignored as he is there to score goals. Last night he was there to score goals and he scored two and should be given some slack.

We need to build on this now and salvage what we can from this wreckage of a season. I want fourth at least. I would fucking hate for us to miss out on the CL. What happens with Rafa in the summer is not important now, he has to get us playing again and this is the sort of performance we need when it comes to effort. The win last night was exactly what we needed. I am not saying that 4th is good enough and we should be pleased with the slip this season, but Rafa gets my full support for this season and then in the summer we can see what happens.

Why? Crouch is shit in the air. Unlike us, Spurs play to Crouch's strength, which is to his feet and not just lumping up long balls to his big lanky head.

If the hairy greek fella starts, we're fucked.

I know Skrtel is hardly on fine form, but he's a far better player than Kyrgriakos.

I really don't like to gloat, but......

In fairness you have to give the lad credit when it's due. He was solid again. Can go missing at times, and nearly fucked up early on when Pepe bailed him out. But he's what we've needed at the back this year. Pure guts and willingness to get to everything. Crouch never got a look in.

Guest Dog Chaser

What a difference a win makes, a good win against one of our rivals this year. Some good individual performances last night but most importantly the teamwork was there, probably inspired by Carragher being captain, i know Degen was getting alot of shouting from Carragher. I think spurs would have been better if they had had Lennon up against Insua but then we would also would have been stronger with Gerrrard and Torres in the team.

As already mentioned, Riera taking free-kicks is a definate must, nearly every ball he whipped in caused them problems. Also, well done to Kuyt who despite missing some sitters still put 2 in and scored the penalty at the second attempt. Hopefully we will now continue to build on this little run.

I promised myself i wouldn't moan adter last night as a win is win.

Needless to say I was very unhappy about a number of things and one or two players need lining up and shooting and there was some weird decisions made again by the manager.

But for today I'm gonna enjoy the win and try and dwell on the positives.

Aquilani looked ok in the opening quarter. Appears to able to play a bit when not asked to be a defensive midfielder! Needs to stop trying to play it first time every fucking time, and faded badly. Not getting excited.

The Greek did better than I expected, partly due to Spurs just not playing their regular game. The game was a scrappy aerial battle at times, and it's a slightly sorry state of affairs when that seemed to suit us better at times than an opposing team at Anfield, but fuck it, we won 2-0.

Carragher - Shove that one up your arses all those who say he's done. he was fucking quality last night.

Reina - I've been told since that two of his worldies were offside anyway, but he wouldn't have known that. Ace.

The atmosphere. crowd were in good voice all round. But I was up in the rafters in the Kemlyn and in with the Danish Supporters Club. They were a proper good bunch of lads and gave a load of the locals around us a lesson in how to get behind teh team at the match and sing some fucking songs. Fair play to them.