You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny "The Rock" Agger

Dracco

As first I have to say that this thread has nothing to do with me beeing a Skrtel-fan, because people could accuse me of beeing biased.Martin is playing very bad this season and doing basic mistakes so there is not excuse. I think he started to get back to himself in last 4-5 starts for him but still is average at best.

Also, i don´t think that Agger is bad player, he is good, we all saw it 3 years ago.

I just can not sort it it my head...many people on different forums continue to praise Agger for his performances and I am starting to think if I am blind or I don´t understand football at all, but i think that Daniel is plazing terriple for about 6 weeks now.

He looses majority of 50/50, and is beaten almost every time players try to get past him.He makes one spectacular tackle each match but is beaten in 5 others. Yesterday was the prime example, he was like a statue.

His positioning is woeful, worse than Skrtel´s or Carra´s. He is often nowhere near the player he should be or where the ball is. When he is pulled wide he didn´t stop a cross for ages. He makes a lot of small mistakes every game.( Skrtell makes less mistakes but far bigger) He played maybe 3 good games this season and they were the first 3 after his injury.

And his ballplaying skills?? We have seen none of them this season, he hoofs it like Carra and is no threat for the oponents.

And still he gets praised too often. I think many people are in love with him and pretend that he is playing good. I don´t know if someone sees it similar to me, but for me he is as bad as Carra or Skrtel this term.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our CBs have been worringly bad this season, I agree. Who dissapoints me the most is Carra actually, he used to be very reliable but has played loads of poor games this season. Like yesterday, he was directly involved in most of the chances Reading created, at least up until the penalty (my memory of the rest of the game is blured...).

If we had played some youngster from the start yesterday he would've gone off at half time playing like that. Carra can take it though, no one knows this better than himself, and I know he will bounce back when the rest of the team starts playing better.

To be fair though, we need to look at the full backs as well.

Arbeloa's been swapped for Johnson/Degen. That definitely weakens us as far as defending goes. Although you can argue that Johnson more than makes up for it in attack. But the point still stands ; Defensively, we are weaker down the right hand side.

Aurelio's been swapped for Insua. Now, I don't mind Insua, he's young, his crossing's not perfect and defensively he can be naive at times, but last night he really struggled. He was nutmegged for their second goal and generally his play was pretty poor all round, (although he certainly wasn't alone in this and I'm not singling him out), but again, the point is that we're weaker down the left side as well.

By all means criticize the centre backs because there's definitely been too many below-par performances, but at the same time we're weaker as a defensive unit and we need to look at the reasons for that as well.

Our whole defence has been shite this season. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Johnson was not the upgrade everyone thought he was. We lost a very solid right back when Arbeloa left. Also Insua has been a massive disappointment this season. On top of that the CBs have all but given up. Wish we still had Sami.

He has come forward with the ball several times in each of his last games. Every time he has it is amazing how much space opens up around him, how many opposition players scramble to run over to him leaving gaps in their line, etc.

Our whole defence is pish. Johnson is brilliant going forward but dodgy in defence. Insuas a fat fuck who doesnt know his arse from his elbow. A classic example of "im a first teamer now and getting good money, i dont give a fuck how i play anymore". Skrtel/Agger have looked like fish out of water this season.

Carra is the most disappointing. My hero is playing sub par. Hes meant to be the rock in our backline. Hes more like the sieve. I love the man beyond all rekoning but he seriously needs to start playing better or else god knows what will happen. The guy is a stalwart (if thats how you spell it) in our team yet like the other ones is performing at a sub par level.

The reason : The Coach. Rafa needs to go. A new manager would bring a new lease of life for every player with him. If this Hiddink rumour is true (which i fucking know isnt) it would be the best appointment liverpool have made since Kenny

Skrtel and Agger have been gash all season. Carra has been marginally better.

Slightly in their defence, they've gotten fuck all help from Johnson and Insua for the most part. Aurelio and Arebeloa were a lot less error prone last season.

That is nothing but BS....

Agger has been miles better than Skrtl and Carra, not that that say's anything about the quality of his performances, but still......

Carragher isn't as good as he used to be, and he's had some bad games this season, but he's put in some great performances in certain matches this season that have won us points IMO.

Insua though - what's happened there? Pity too because he looked a great prospect... Aurelio needs to be playing LB for the forseeable future...

Same with Skrtel - from a solid, committed, albeit somtimes rash, defender to a lightweight, nervous wreck.

Fucking depressing...

I'm not Agger's greatest fan and i think he is seriously overrated by many of our fans (as many of our decent players have been over the years - anyone decent we laud as 'world-class' it seems to me)) BUT in his defence he is playing on the left-side of the centre-back partnership, and he's continually being sucked out of position to cover for the woeful and inept Insua - when you have a fullback who can't position himself, and can't stop crosses, it's bound to be hard on the covering centre-back. I actually think he has been far better, and far more robust, this season defensively than last.

No offence to you, Dracco, but seeing people describe themselves as things like "Skrtel fans" or "pro-Rafa" or whatever in their posts really makes me cringe.

I was just pointing to the fact that I am Slovak so there is a tendency to be less objective.

I think Agger has been our best defender this season even though he has not been near his best. The two main areas we need to improve in the summer are a big tall commanding centre half like Kjaer to play alongside Agger and a new left back.

So you think Skrtel is definitely finished at this club and his error proness is his real level ?

Because I am sure that he CAN and he WILL play miles better than he is doing currently.

all 3 of our centre backs have being playing badly all season. usually if one plays badly then the other one would try and cover but when both playing badly its good nite. tbh i think the reason they are playing bad is cause the full backs are shite and our centre midfield is just not able to to boss a game. look at the portsmouth game as a prime example