You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If rafa does go (and i want him to) who do we get to replace him?

Rick9

I'm firmly in the Rafa out camp, but did we not win the FA Cup Final in 2006?

yes with the majority of the same players that won the cl in turkey.

Alonso, Reina, Masherano, Agger & Johnson arent too bad......

Alonso was great but he sold him, reina masch and agger are good but johnson was overpriced and the money would have been better spent on another decent striker, we could've kept arbeloa at rb, and the rest of his signings have been a waste of money that could've got better cover players

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether he is tactically up to the job is up in the air. Whether he could motivate our players is not. I bet most of out squad would run through a brick wall for him.

Like who? If they are running through brick walls for anyone it should be for us, the supporters. For a £100k a week it shouldn't matter who the manager is, you should be able to do your job.

Gerrard walking around with a face like a smacked arse since the opening game of the season, Carragher only coming into form now. And Benayoun last night? What manager in the world can compensate for that kind of ill judgement?

Not true.

Reina, Sissoko, Morientes, Crouch and Kromkamp all played in Cardiff in 2006 and were not involved in the CL final in 2005.

Also, Alonso and Garcia were not Houllier signings and both played key roles in the Champions League win in 2005.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
get Mourinho in in the summer. Job done.

It cracks me up that people think he'd come here without being able to spend money.

we wouldnt have won the CL without players like Alonso an Garcia, players Benitez bought and sold at a handsome profit

it's easy to be kneejerk and say the manager should be sacked but I believe he needs to get on with the job of managing, he needs to stop putting faith in those letting him down and make immediate changes i.e dropping players and he needs to be given the money to sign a senior second striker and to make the changes. otherwise it doesn't matter who the manager is

It's got to the point where I don't give a fuck who we replace him with. Almost any manager could surely get better performances out of these players.

this is how you think and feel but it's not logical at all. All managers have their problems and quirks, someone mentioned O'Neill who plays the worst brand of hoofball and break football i've ever seen and has spent as much as Benitez doing it so you're just swapping one set of problems for another and sooner or later the new guy will be denied the money to do anything so what's the point? we should stick with Benitez

Mourinho was just an example off the top of my head. I was just using him as a reason why somebody like him would take the job in the first place.

I'm not having a go Faustus but people who want the manager gone, and I am NOT one of them need to be more realistic with regard to his successor.

Even if like someone said, sell Babel for £9m and sack Rafa, what is Maureen on at Inter? Something in the region of £10m a year? Hiddink was not far off that with Russia?

I totally agree that we are knee deep in pig shit at the moment but when I look at the academy and all the good that I believe is just about to come from it, I just fear what will happen if he gets the sack.

this is how you think and feel but it's not logical at all. All managers have their problems and quirks, someone mentioned O'Neill who plays the worst brand of hoofball and break football i've ever seen and has spent as much as Benitez doing it so you're just swapping one set of problems for another and sooner or later the new guy will be denied the money to do anything so what's the point? we should stick with Benitez

You're one wierd motherfucker.

What's the point of doing anything eh? We're all going to die one day.

It cracks me up that people think he'd come here without being able to spend money.

It cracks me up that people think a new manager would not get money to sign a few of his own players.

Now matter how dire our financial position is there will always be made funds availible for a new manager.

Not true.

Reina, Sissoko, Morientes, Crouch and Kromkamp all played in Cardiff in 2006 and were not involved in the CL final in 2005.

Also, Alonso and Garcia were not Houllier signings and both played key roles in the Champions League win in 2005.

ok reina sissoko and crouch were good, morientes was past it a never did much and kromkamp......shit

and alonso and garcia were great, but reina is the only one still with us, he sold them and replaced them with garbage or hasn't replaced them at all!

Guest davelfc
It cracks me up that people think a new manager would not get money to sign a few of his own players.

Now matter how dire our financial position is there will always be made funds availible for a new manager.

More loans? The owners are not going to dip into their own pockets are they? I cannot see a new manager being given much money at all. I mean there's new contracts, staff and the cleaners to pay first.

Plus who else can we sell? How much of a loss can we take on them and will it be one player to replace a few out or more bargain basement buys to pad an already poor squad?

I've always firmly being in the "Rafa is the best man for the job" camp and I firmly believe he's in the top bracket of managers that are capable of winning the top leagues in Europe like Spain, Italy and the Premiership but I don't think it's going to be with us unfortunately. Everything seems to have gone pear shaped, before I would of being confident that he could get a reaction out of the players but it's just not happening. When momentum stops at a club generally it is very difficult to get it going again. Personally I think the main reason for this is lack of investment over the past 18mths to 2 years, poor luck with injuries this season and Rafa's inability to motivate the players after 5 years. The bile that's spouted towards the manager at every oppurtunity is a bit odius, he's not the c&*t he's made out to be on here by some posters. It's not as if he's happy with the state we're in as I'm sure he has genuine affection for the club and is working harder than anyone else to get us out of this mess. Unfortunately it doesn't like like he's going to be able to though. We either need a big signing to put a bit of belief back into the club or a change of manager to get the current squad going again. I hope it's the latter but not sure outside of Hiddink who'd be available right now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

And do you, with your economics degree, want to tell us where all this money will come from? Are you suggesting that he'll be given more than Rafa would have?

After paying Rafa and his staff's severance and the new manager and his staff, plus other expenses, just how much do you think will be left? Mourinho is hardly going to leave without being handed a big pot of cash to turn the team into his own.

Hodgson.

What we need is a manager who get the most out of this squad, which is what Hodgson has done at Fulham. They play a good brand of football, they are good defensively, he goes about his job nicely, on and off the field.

If there is a change at management level, what about Dalglish and Thompson as his assistant.

The money needed to remove Rafa will just be added to the debt already owed.Lets do this now before things get any worse.

We c'ant afford not to......in the long run.

Lets look at this logically.

Getting rid of Rafa would cost how much? 5-10M, who knows.

Add to that the majority of his back room staff, as any top manager worth his salt will want his own people in, they'll need paying off as they all got new contracts as well as Rafa. Plus the new manager would want a healthy transfer budget, where's all that gonna come from?

Now if they gave the job to Kenny who hasn't managed a proper team in nearly 10 yrs and would struggle with the ego's and attitude of the modern footballer how would the fans react? It was Rafa who brought him back, would he be looked at as traitor by some. Would he even want the job?

I doubt it, I think his time at Newcastle and Celtic taught him his era was over. Plus I'd hate to see him doing a Rafa, standing there watching all those hours on the training pitch being wasted as his players failed to execute basic instructions. Many were surprised that Kenny returned to management as Hillsborough nearly finished him off. What would having to watch performances like yesterdays as manager do to him now?

There's also another factor, the owners. They have just given control of both the first team and kids to Rafa, will their ego permit them to take it back so quickly especially considering the kids (bought by Rafa) are finally begining to show some promise and could save the clubs tens if not hundreds of millions in transfer fees? Sacking the man that saved them money (the only thing that makes them happy) would be something they'd want to avoid.

Everything in football doesn't revolve around money, you know?

Mourinho would love to manage in England again and here he would get a chance to build a legacy of his own. And he has spoken very highly of our club in the past.

But hey, let's neglect those factors and just throw in a smug comment, eh?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Everything in football doesn't revolve around money, you know?

Mourinho would love to manage in England again and here he would get a chance to build a legacy of his own. And he has spoken very highly of our club in the past.

But hey, let's neglect those factors and just throw in a smug comment, eh?

You're missing a few factors yourself, mate. You're right, not everything revolves around money, but when he won't be able to make a hand full of top level signings, can you honestly see him potentially damaging his reputation by coming here with next to nothing to spend?

It seems very unlikely.

Some very valid points made there, especially the value of our current squad to what it was when he took over. I'd say Torres alone could cover the cost of the squad that Rafa inherited.

O'Neill and Hughes as serious suggestions, i've heard it all now. some of you need to be careful what you wish for

Careful what you wish for indeed. Neither of these 2 come anywhere near being good enough to manage LFC.