You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The big summer

andrew78

Guest Numero Veinticinco
would you trust benitez to spend it wisely

Yeah. He's done it very well in the past. If given a set amount of cash to spend on any player he likes, without counting clubs that owe us money and such like, then I'd trust him more than most.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Tom Hicks is a lying cunt.

Yes.

When he's had decent money to spend, they've generally done well.

Only Babel & Keane were big money and not performed. Jury is still out on Aquilani.

However if he had, for example, £20m to spend, I'd rather see one player of real quality than 2-3 lower priced 'gambles'.

However, he probably won't get any more than normal, less if we don't qualify for the C/L, and have to get a replacement for Mascherano for about half the fee we sell him for if he goes to Barca.

I trust him he he had funds.

When he's spent big more often than not he's delivered:

Over 10 million signings

Alonso - Hit

Torres - Hit

Mascherano - Hit

Bable - Miss, but might not make too much loss if Birmingham's bid is anything to go by.

Keane - Miss

Johnson - Hit

Aquilani - N/A, as too early to judge.

He's also wanted Alves and Simao - who I both believe would have improved our team.

I make that four successes, some vast in Torres, Mascherano and Alonso's case. Two failures, but then again Babel has scored some important goals for us and we could recoup a fair chunk of his fee.

When you see Ferguson spending big on Nani, Anderson, Carrick, Berbatov etc, Benitez has shown when he's had money to spend he brings in top quality more often than not.

The problem is I don't think we have the funds and when Benitez has spent little, he's more often than not failed with Josemi, Kromkamp, Paletta, Nunez, Degen etc...

I trust him he he had funds.

When he's spent big more often than not he's delivered:

Over 10 million signings

Alonso - Hit

Torres - Hit

Mascherano - Hit

Bable - Miss, but might not make too much loss if Birmingham's bid is anything to go by.

Keane - Miss

Johnson - Hit

Aquilani - N/A, as too early to judge.

He's also wanted Alves and Simao - who I both believe would have improved our team.

I make that four successes, some vast in Torres, Mascherano and Alonso's case. Two failures, but then again Babel has scored some important goals for us and we could recoup a fair chunk of his fee.

When you see Ferguson spending big on Nani, Anderson, Carrick, Berbatov etc, Benitez has shown when he's had money to spend he brings in top quality more often than not.

The problem is I don't think we have the funds and when Benitez has spent little, he's more often than not failed with Josemi, Kromkamp, Paletta, Nunez, Degen etc...

I agree with everything you have said here but may I add, for every Josemi there is a Yossi, for every Paletta there is a Garcia. Rafa has lost very little money in the transfer market and I think I'm correct in saying that very few managers we have had down through the years have actually made money on players that we have sold on.

I know we have had an awful season so far but I still totally believe in the manager and would have no problems whatsoever giving him money to spend now or in the future.

Yes.

When he's had decent money to spend, they've generally done well.

Only Babel & Keane were big money and not performed. Jury is still out on Aquilani.

However if he had, for example, £20m to spend, I'd rather see one player of real quality than 2-3 lower priced 'gambles'.

However, he probably won't get any more than normal, less if we don't qualify for the C/L, and have to get a replacement for Mascherano for about half the fee we sell him for if he goes to Barca.

Dossena? no?