You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As I pointed out already, it was more than just being called an ape.

He didn’t call him an ape though.

And as response to your question to me - you didn’t say it directly, but you quoted a tweet whereby someone was pointing out that the scenario relating to the whole affair was due to a passage he had also sent to a white guy, which I took to suggest it was a conclusion that was jumped to and the sacking may be unfair.

To then say, “there was more to it than that” and add your examples to it suggests to me that you thought the sacking was for all of it and may be justified.

Plus, going back to where you say he called him an ape, which he didn’t, and then twice insisting there was more to it than even that, makes me think that you see the result of the action as just and fair. Could be wrong, but that’s how I have inferred it.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Wow. Everyone needs to read that. Fucking disgusting. Genuine sickos. 

Pretty much everyone who retweeted that on Twitter had to publicly apologise under threat of being done for libel. The only reason the fella who wrote it never is because he doesn’t live in the UK. 

As Rico said Reverend and the makers apologised for sharing it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Pretty much everyone who retweeted that on Twitter had to publicly apologise under threat of being done for libel. The only reason the fella who wrote it never is because he doesn’t live in the UK. 

As Rico said Reverend and the makers apologised for sharing it. 

Yeah that added a more sinister flavour to it IMO “Go ahead, try defend that little girl and we’ll sue your arse”.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Yeah that added a more sinister flavour to it IMO “Go ahead, try defend that little girl and we’ll sue your arse”.

You are a very strange man.  The article is inaccurate, it libels her. She threatens to sue unless they retract, the people sharing it take legal advice and are told its libellous and to retract. They retract. 

Remember when we talked about a hypothetical situation where you were libelled and it resulted in you and your wife losing your jobs and not being able to move to Oz?  You said you wouldn’t be bothered.  

20 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There was much more to it than that, with Stewart making a series of offensive comments, questioning Martin's level of education and encouraging a Twitter pile-on.

Nevertheless Martin, who I remember very well from the Lib Dem Youth forums, has said he doesn't agree with ITV's actions, and that an apology would have been sufficient.

17 hours ago, belarus said:

So you think that’s worthy of him losing his job? Effectively calling someone thick in an argument on twitter, and sending a pretty pretentious Shakespeare passage, which has been deemed, but certainly not proven to be, racist?

If that’s the rules, nobody on here would be in a job should we be in the public eye.

15 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Where did I say that? I was just pointing out there was far more to it than the right-wing media is letting on.

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

How so? (Not disputing it before you start crying just wondering what else you know that we don't) 

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As I pointed out already, it was more than just being called an ape.

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes I am aware of that. Care to elaborate? 

14 hours ago, belarus said:

He didn’t call him an ape though.

And as response to your question to me - you didn’t say it directly, but you quoted a tweet whereby someone was pointing out that the scenario relating to the whole affair was due to a passage he had also sent to a white guy, which I took to suggest it was a conclusion that was jumped to and the sacking may be unfair.

To then say, “there was more to it than that” and add your examples to it suggests to me that you thought the sacking was for all of it and may be justified.

Plus, going back to where you say he called him an ape, which he didn’t, and then twice insisting there was more to it than even that, makes me think that you see the result of the action as just and fair. Could be wrong, but that’s how I have inferred it.

A Twitter thread containing some more context on this from someone who saw the entire Twitter spat:

ttp I'm also 99% sure that he has breached the social media policy of any large organisation given that his profile stated that he worked for ITN.

I saw a lot of stuff from Alistair Stewart on Twitter in the run up to the election and he was slating mutilpe journalists and being extremely unpleasant and personal about it. I'm not sure it was a platform he was suited to.

• Upvote 3

I’m all for people to be partisan, but you can actually just judge based on the actual tweets that they posted, so how you could come into the conclusion that there was no bullying, I genuinely can’t get my head around. I mean they tweets are there!!!

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’m all for people to be partisan, but you can actually just judge based on the actual tweets that they posted, so how you could come into the conclusion that there was no bullying, I genuinely can’t get my head around. I mean they tweets are there!!!

I’m with you on it. A lot of his article is bollocks but no denying the factual ones about their bullying. It’s hypocrisy. Anyway I’m going to try and distance me myself from it all I get too wound up and a twitter ban is probably good for me right now. God my life is boring at the minute. Might make a paper mache of Hopkins and set fire to it. 

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Hold on. I thought you were a free speech absolutist. 

I’m convinced now actually that everyone should delete the Twitter app, deactivate their accounts and get back to interacting with people in the real world. The experiment has failed, the only people who benefit from it are the worst kind of attention seeking, snide, pathologically unhealthy, self absorbed wankers. 

Look after yourselves, look after those closest to you - the rest is just noise 

• Upvote 2