You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comfort food

Guest Pistonbroke

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I was about to call you a jock-strap but we all know where thats disappeared up 

Is that right though? Ive never known that to be an insulting term for Scottish people. At all. For a nation of men who wear skirts that seems a bit fucking prudish. 

I’ve never heard Scots in Scotland referring to themselves or any other Scot as ‘jock’. It always feels like a word used by others/English people. It always feels a bit dismissive 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Mook said:

One of these places has just opened right next to my work, going to give it a go on Friday...

https://www.germandonerkebab.com/

Just a massive franchise like Dominoes, Maccies etc. Probably reaching out to other markets as it's like a Doner war over here with thousands of different shops in every major City battling for the Doner supremacy. Keeps the prices down in most places and quite a few of them do a lovely Doner with generous portions and only cost about 4-5€. I bet these lot are charging a whole fuck more over in the UK. 

54 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just a massive franchise like Dominoes, Maccies etc. Probably reaching out to other markets as it's like a Doner war over here with thousands of different shops in every major City battling for the Doner supremacy. Keeps the prices down in most places and quite a few of them do a lovely Doner with generous portions and only cost about 4-5€. I bet these lot are charging a whole fuck more over in the UK. 

Wouldn't surprise me, their website doesn't have any prices which is always a bad sign.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Mook said:

Wouldn't surprise me, their website doesn't have any prices which is always a bad sign.

Aye, noticed that myself. Plus whenever you look for food that is advertised as coming from somewhere else you just know it will cost double. It's the same if I want to buy certain English goods like Sarsons vinegar etc or eat at some place that does English style Fisn N Chips with mushy peas.  

Had a chuckle that they are advertising it as 'German Doner' as well. I also noticed they just use Beef and Chicken. If I'm going to have a good Doner then I'll nearly always plump for the Lamb. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Aye, noticed that myself. Plus whenever you look for food that is advertised as coming from somewhere else you just know it will cost double. It's the same if I want to buy certain English goods like Sarsons vinegar etc or eat at some place that does English style Fisn N Chips with mushy peas.  

Had a chuckle that they are advertising it as 'German Doner' as well. I also noticed they just use Beef and Chicken. If I'm going to have a good Doner then I'll nearly always plump for the Lamb. 

Isn't most doner just cats, dogs, chickens bollocks, etc just crushed together?

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Elite said:

Not really mate.....I suppose some use the real cheap off cuts of meat etc, the ones with a good rep just use quality layered meat for their spits. 

2 hours ago, Elite said:

It only a proper doner if it’s all of those things as well as being dropped on a disgusting floor, rolled along said floor to the grill and reheated several times over the course of a week or two. And it’s got chilli sauce. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It only a proper doner if it’s all of those things as well as being dropped on a disgusting floor, rolled along said floor to the grill and reheated several times over the course of a week or two. And it’s got chilli sauce. 

And if the doner meat on the spit is only about an inch thick, surrounding a massive maggot's nest throughout the middle.