You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comfort food

Guest Pistonbroke

Got an enormous slab of braising beef in my slow cooker with shallots, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, pointed red pepper, beef stock, parpika, tons of black pepper, bit of cumin and herbs du provence at home now and I cannot wait to eat it with crustry bread and butter. 

Mouths watering reading that mate. 

Who’s had clootie dumpling?

I've had it, my granny used to make it. It's shite.

Having said that, I don't like any sort of cake or desert with fruit in it.

I was an adult before I realised there were people out there who don't like dried fruit. No wonder you don't like Christmas

It is denser than the center of a black hole. A teaspoon weighs about 20kg.

But fantastic with it.

We were at a big get together at the weekend and one of my friends had brought clootie dumpling which we had with Birds custard. It didn't quite fit the Mexican theme but it was the star of the show

• Upvote 1

I was an adult before I realised there were people out there who don't like dried fruit. No wonder you don't like Christmas

But fantastic with it.

We were at a big get together at the weekend and one of my friends had brought clootie dumpling which we had with Birds custard. It didn't quite fit the Mexican theme but it was the star of the show

I love fruit & I like a lot of dried fruit too, I just don't like any sort of fruit or veg in my desert.

I'm not really a desert fan to be honest, if I was to skip one of the three courses it would be that one every time.

My granny used to make dumpling once a week & I'd eat it out of obligation, 'much preferred her chocolate cake.

But fantastic with it.

My wifes granny used to make it. Steamed in a muslin bag for about 4 days.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Surely to Shiite this is where it does exactly what it says on the tine here Cath, meat, spuds, pastry, gravy.

I need science, Arthur. Science. Quantities and cooking times.

The pie I’m talking doesn’t have gravy. You eat it with pickled cabbage

Fair enough Cath, I dont think I’ve ever eaten a meat and potato pie. I’m looking forward to getting cooking again soon, will have to get some gluten free pork pies on the go as the brother in law will be hung us a hand moving.

got ourselves a heavy duty meat grinder for the kitchen aid which needs to be christened.