You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres may leave - Rafa

rubble-rouser

If that's my agenda to get the leeching owners out of the club, then yes.

Your posts give the impression that you want the manager out, you do not discuss the owners.

But the placid acceptance that you and Delmar show beggars belief really - the last thing we need is our manager, Hicks's new best buddy, inviting bids for our player. As i said, what's happened to the "he's not for sale at any price" comment from just 6 weeks ago? Can you really not see that Rafa has changed his tune?

There is no "placid acceptance" of anything. I do not see any evidence that Benitez is Hicks's best buddy, and I doubt that he would agree to a sale if he had the choice. However, what is clearer every day is that others than Rafa control the money. And this is purely a question of money.

Of course City don't need much of an invitation - but they know now that our manager would consider a sale rather than simply dismiss any bid out of hand. So in other word, it is a public encouragement.

Again, it will not be the manager's decision, if a bid is high enough. He is an employee, the owners will decide. It remains to be seen what Benitez's reaction would be.

As i said, why do the owners' dirty work? And that goes for the fans who are willing to rationalise EVERY thing the two leeches do. Tell me, what is the point from a footballing point of view from having £100m for a player just to service debt and keep the banks happy? Do you really thank Rafa would be given £100m to reinvest - he'd be told that Chamakh is the replacement. So how on earth is that "best for the club"?

The owners do not think from a footballing point of view. From a business point of view halving one's debt is in certain situations very desirable. Of course Benitez would see very little, if any of the money. This happened already last summer, is happening now, and will happen in the future.

I have advocated stronger action than so far against the owners in other threads. That does not mean that I cannot see the reality of the situation from a business point of view. All players are for sale in any club. It is just a matter of price. I do not like it, the only way to stop it is a salary cap throughout Europe, but that is another discussion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The owners do not think from a footballing point of view. From a business point of view halving one's debt is in certain situations very desirable. Of course Benitez would see very little, if any of the money. This happened already last summer, is happening now, and will happen in the future.

Exactly my point - any sale would be for business reasons, and that simply isn't the manager's province. Rafa should be concentrating only on the footballing side - he KNOWS he would see none of that money, that the team would be fatally weakened and not strengthened, so knowing that, why come out and say that the players are effectively available at the right price?

I love Rafa but something that is quite obvious recently is that certain things are being allowed to come into the media to make us fans aware of what is really going on at the club especially at a time when many Benitez supporters have begun to question his position. Rafa would NOT sell Torres or Gerrard. For me, its clear what is going on here....Similar to what happened after Athens or anytime when the spotlight is heavily on Benitez, certain things get into the media to allow the fans to see "ALL" sides to the story!!

Exactly my point - any sale would be for business reasons, and that simply isn't the manager's province. Rafa should be concentrating only on the footballing side - he KNOWS he would see none of that money, that the team would be fatally weakened and not strengthened, so knowing that, why come out and say that the players are effectively available at the right price?

Maybe he is trying to apply some pressure? everyone knows there are only two people that would sell.

I hope people read this how its meant to sound if anything could make more fans go against the owners its reports like this. People go sick at reports like this because they have misinterpreted but these reports. Make some think the worst this is fantastic in our fight against the owners.

These are dark days for this fantastic club. The Torres article, the Hicks Jr. incident, no squad investment capability. I don't know guys, but I'm 42 and I have never seen such dark times surround this club (obvious human tragedy aside - and I mean that with the utmost respect).

Look, I'm an OOT, I have no insight to local vibes and as a result, I would appreciate the comments of some of the stalwarts on this site who are closer to L4 than I. Are we really that "condemned"? Is there any positive to come out of a situation that looks to be coming to a head?

I'm so, so worried about this club.

Rafael BenÃ*tez admits Liverpool could have to sell Fernando Torres | Football | guardian.co.uk

Rafael Benítez has admitted that he cannot guarantee he will be able to keep Fernando Torres at Liverpool if the club fail to finish in the top four of the Premier League this season.

The Liverpool manager said earlier in the campaign that Torres was "not for sale at any price" but has now acknowledged that key players could leave if he does not secure qualification for the Champions League. "Finishing in the top four is the key to keeping everyone together," Benítez said.

Asked whether Liverpool, who have significant debts, would be able to resist a £100m offer from Manchester City for Torres, he said: "At the moment we have to do the best for the club – and the best for the club is trying to improve the squad."

But when pressed for a second time on the matter, he replied: "We would have conversations if we had to decide about this."

That appeared to be a reference to talks with the co-owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who loaded on to the club the £174m they borrowed for their takeover. A failure to qualify for the Champions League would have a damaging impact on Liverpool's finances

Didn't Benitez guarantee we would finish in the top 4? Why is he then now speaking about what would happen if we do finish outside top 4?

Guest Super Sub

I don't think it should come as any surprise that Torres would leave Liverpool if we didn't give him the football he was looking for. Don't forget that he left the club he supported asa boy to play for a team that was contending for honours, so why would he stay with LFC if he wasn't getting that here? I know he lovesthe club and all that but he didn't support the club as a boy, he only started taking an interest after the club had enquired about him, and showed an interest, which is something that United never.

You could ask yourself the question, would we be better of without Torres but the 100 million and then buying two 50 million quid players? Or say 3 30 million quid players?

I don't think it should come as any surprise that Torres would leave Liverpool if we didn't give him the football he was looking for. Don't forget that he left the club he supported asa boy to play for a team that was contending for honours, so why would he stay with LFC if he wasn't getting that here? I know he lovesthe club and all that but he didn't support the club as a boy, he only started taking an interest after the club had enquired about him, and showed an interest, which is something that United never.

You could ask yourself the question, would we be better of without Torres but the 100 million and then buying two 50 million quid players? Or say 3 30 million quid players?

You could also ask the question would the OWNERS be better off without Torres but 100M and with replacements in the 7 - 11 million bracket funded from other sales?

Anyone who thinks selling Torres would be would be a football decision is mistaken.

To be honest I think Torres won't want to leave since he likes being in Liverpool he has the best fans in the world. The feeling he gets from our shouts will beat 100m any day money is nothing compared to that feeling. Also he has said it before he isn't going to leave Liverpool not even in the hard times since thats when they need him the most. I think the offer of 100m will make Torres feel good since he would be the most expensive transfer even more then Cristiano, but yeah is the directors and his choice. If Torres is gone we are going to be losing one of the best players we have had.

Sell Torres for £100M, buy Villa for £50M, game on.

"Oh, Liverpool have just got £100 Million for Torres."

"So?"

"Well, instead of selling him for £50 Million, we could sell him for £75 Million. If Torres is worth that, then Villa is going to be worth something close to £100 Million!"

Prices inflate when teams know you have money. So, we'll see what happens.

Guest Pistonbroke

Just a manager trying to deflect the fact he's doing a crap job at present imo. Why have the fans on your back when you have the daft yanks to blame for everything. Yes they are scum and need to fuck off. But if our best players want to move then it will be because we can't offer them the CL etc. No truth in these stories and probably just shite journalism. But if there is any truth in them then i just wish certain people at the club would shut the fuck up and get on with their jobs.

Guest Super Sub
To be honest I think Torres won't want to leave since he likes being in Liverpool he has the best fans in the world. The feeling he gets from our shouts will beat 100m any day money is nothing compared to that feeling. Also he has said it before he isn't going to leave Liverpool not even in the hard times since thats when they need him the most. I think the offer of 100m will make Torres feel good since he would be the most expensive transfer even more then Cristiano, but yeah is the directors and his choice. If Torres is gone we are going to be losing one of the best players we have had.

I don't think Torres will leave either, but what I am talking about is at the end of next season if we didn't qualify for Europe then and not next season either. Then I think that Torres would leave, yes you can say he loves the fans but he did leave his boyhood team for honours so why would he stay? He could have stayed at Athletico for that.

How many times does people need to be reminded that the club is being run by a couple of lying, thieving cunts that are tearing it apart from the inside? Stop having a go at Rafa ffs! He's the smallest of our problems at the moment. Fortunately if selling Torres even came up as a possibility it could be the last drop in the HG farcebucket.

If Rafa agrees to sel Torres and stay's at the club he has lost my support and I will boo him at every opportunity.....

What the fuck happened to the "I'd walk if we sold Torres" stand!!

He is a f****** coward if he now encourages and approves such a sale.....

What else can you interperet those comments as but an invitation to bid - Jesus wept....

There is no way we'll get that amount back for transfers, so they can fuck off even trying to justify it....

It's seems official now;

Liverpool football club does not exist to win throphys, and we've become a selling club.... Or as Rafa would put it a "small" club!!!!!

If Rafa agrees to sel Torres and stay's at the club he has lost my support and I will boo him at every opportunity.....

What the fuck happened to the "I'd walk if we sold Torres" stand!!

He is a f****** coward if he now encourages and approves such a sale.....

What else can you interperet those comments as but an invitation to bid - Jesus wept....

There is no way we'll get that amount back for transfers, so they can fuck off even trying to justify it....

It's seems official now;

Liverpool football club does not exist to win throphys, and we've become a selling club.... Or as Rafa would put it a "small" club!!!!!

You're a mental. If it comes down to it, Rafa might HAVE to sell Torres in order to keep the club afloat, or it might come down to having to sell Torres in order to keep the team going. What's the point in keeping Torres if the rest of the team is full of shite?

Or would you like him to go "GUESS WAT? I SOLDZ UR BEST PLAYER. SO LONG SUCKAZ LOL!!!

I think if Torres was sold it's be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

It wouldn't be that it's Torres, it's be because the remaining semblance of what made the Club famous and renowned the world over, that which had been built up over the years with Shanks, Paisley etc., the solidarity between Club and supporters, that's what will have been sold down the river for profit.

If we sell Torres that will be telling me the Club has settled for mediocrity, we will have become an ordinary Club.

And I don't think I could put up with that.

Sell Torres for £100M, buy Villa for £50M, game on.

If that happened I'd actually be happy as far as the team went, because I think he's about as good. Not seen him that much and he's different from Torres, but absolutely fucking lethal when he's on his game, just like Nando is.

But even if that panned out I'd just be so gutted for Torres, he's loves the club, we love him, and it'd be the fucking owners that have put an end to it. Wow they'd really get some serious shit if they sold him, and I don't think they have any idea of how bad it'll get.

The fucking idiots.