You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motorcycle?

Kenyanspeed

Leaving work on the same route for past 2 years and managed to hit black ice. First time i've been caught out by the stuff, a slight lean as i approached the roundabout was enough for the front wheel to fold. Bastard!

[YOUTUBE]3B-vtd6xMmU[/YOUTUBE]

Spent the rest of my 20 mile commute doing 35mph on an A-road with my arsehole imitating a rabbits nose. Felt like i was doing speedway with the rear wheel kicking out all the time. Seriously that was fucking great fun! I was surprised that i reacted quick enough to let go of the bike which ultimately made me feel good about the crash. Pissed off that i didn't get enough velocity to do a decent superman impression. Double Bastard!

Damage to bike/equipment:

Broken RH mirror

Scratched exhaust heatshield

Scratched footpeg

Scratched bar muff

Scratched visor and helmet (bastard)

Damage to me:

Nothing as yet apart from bruised ego.

No harm to yourself, that's the main thing. Black ice is a bastard, you have to be so careful around this time of year.

Is that your first proper binned it moment? Nowt like sliding down the tarmac on your arse to wake you up of a morning.

Used to see some cracking harmless bins at my mates tyre place. You would get some scalls in for new tyres, and we would sort them out and send them off with the new tyre mantra "Slippy, not sticky for the first 50 miles or so". Of course, they would throttle it away from the garage, trying to look hard in front of us rufty-tufty types and low-side it out of the place. Good times.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
Glad you escaped without any injury, is the camera mounted on the bike?

Camera is mounted to handlebar via an old bicycle bar-end and is positioned as such that it avoids damage, luckily!

@UM, that was my first binned moment, its taken 20k miles to join the club.

I fell off my scooter a month or so ago for the first time, forgot to put that up on here. I had new tyres on it from the MOT and it was wet, going round a corner, just didn't think to take it slower than normal. Broke my mirror and scratched down the side. Bit nervous about getting back on it now if Im honest.

First lesson of motorcycle maintainance, *never* skimp on your tyres. Luckily, dodgy compounds are fairly rare nowadays, but anyone who remembers the horror that was Swallow brand tyres, or some of those Barum jobbies. Avon deathmasters, even. They would last for ever mind, but only because they were made of teflon...

Small bike, Metzler ME22s were ace, as are Bridgestone BT45s for mediumweights. Stick like shit to a blanket, those things.

First thing I always do with new tyres is find a nice, quiet roundabout with shellgrip tarmac and give it a good blast around there a few times to give 'em a scrub. Get them nice and warm and then off for a play on the coast road.

• 4 months later...

Passed the Bike theory test today with the bare minimum result....that's how i roll.

Hazard perception test is the most annoying/pointless/stupid test i have ever done, thank god i don't have to do it again.

Jesus, how many year's and stages are there before you can ride any capacity you want?

I did my test in 1992 in southern Ireland, what a joke, the tester sat in his car and followed my around the outskirts of a town for about 10 minutes. Then he parked the car and told me to drive to the end of the road to do a emergency stop, that he couldn't even see!! That was it, test passed.

I did the test on a GSXR750, the funny thing was then, on a provisional licence, as long as you could afford the insurance you could drive anything you wanted, no 250cc 12bhp learner laws here. If by some miracle you failed the test you just hopped back on your bike with your provo licence and had another go a few months later.

• 11 months later...

I've come to realise that the only thing on the road that scares me is Deer. 10ton trucks and 4x4's i couldn't care less about, but to have a near miss with a fucking Deer is the only thing that browns my leathers.

Weird.

I've *almost* decided I am buying a GS1200 this summer. Never owned a German bike (or car for that matter) I've always gone for Japanese but that BMW looks like a beautiful piece of kit. I've always been one who whores the reviews and car/motorbike papers before buying one and I just haven't found anything to put me off.

bmw%20gs1200%202012.jpg

Bikers of TLW: Anyone with some input? I'm used to long distance biking, missed my GSF1250 since I sold it a year ago, 2 years old with 45000 on the clock. Distance ain't a problem. I just need the right bike.

I've *almost* decided I am buying a GS1200 this summer. Never owned a German bike (or car for that matter) I've always gone for Japanese but that BMW looks like a beautiful piece of kit. I've always been one who whores the reviews and car/motorbike papers before buying one and I just haven't found anything to put me off.

bmw%20gs1200%202012.jpg

Bikers of TLW: Anyone with some input? I'm used to long distance biking, missed my GSF1250 since I sold it a year ago, 2 years old with 45000 on the clock. Distance ain't a problem. I just need the right bike.

Looks similar to my bros mates bike.He has a BMW 1200 but it does looks bit different and his red and black.They go forever mate BMW use to have the most reliable bikes out or flying pigs as they were called.

My bro has a suzuki gsx 1400 thats really nice bike as well.

Anyway yeah the BMW he has is weird looking as it looks a bit like a trails bike in a way like there bulky looking at the front and skinny from base of tank to rear..I know he has had it for around 4 years at least and never had one problem with it. Also thats what BMWs are for is the touring so know problem there mate.

With a total about 6 hours experience of a fully automatic bikes spread out over 3 years and zero car driving, I hired Russian Minsk two stroke 125cc Fully Manual motorbike round the mountainous North Vietnam for a week. Talk about learning curve. It was one of the best stupid decisions of my life. Minsks are ace, and older than you and I. Minsk:

2530d1254216514-black-minsk-125cc-motorbike-sale-img_1370.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Tragedy in qualifying for the IOMTT.

BBC Sport - Isle of Man TT: Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita killed

sle of Man TT: Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita killed

Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita has died in an accident at the Isle of Man TT qualifying session.

The 43-year-old Tyco Suzuki rider, who first competed in the iconic Manx event in 2009, was only entered into the race earlier in the day.

Matsushita is the 21st rider to die at the races since 2000.

"Yoshi was a really popular competitor who had a large number of friends in the TT Races paddock," clerk of the course Gary Thompson said.

"He was a genuine and friendly character who always had time for everyone. He will be sorely missed."

The coroners have been informed and an investigation into the circumstances of the accident is under way.

Matsushita was a regular competitor in the Superstock and Superbike classes and finished fifth in the 2011 TT Zero for electric bikes.

An official statement on the TT website read: "ACU Events Ltd regrets to announce that Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita, 43, was killed during the qualifying session at the 2013 Isle of Man TT Races in an incident at Ballacrye in the north of the island. The session was immediately red-flagged following the accident."

After being confirmed in the race earlier in the day, Matsushita had said he was "surprised" to be competing, adding: "For several years I have wanted to fulfil my ambition to race in the Supersport 600 class."

British MotoGP rider Cal Crutchlow tweeted: "Sad news from TT tonight. Thoughts are with Yoshinari family and all involved."

Cuntingfucktwatballachingspunkchoparsedribbles.

Got a puncture in my rear earlier (ooerrr) which was too big for the AA to fix. They don't use rubber plugs anymore and instead try to use that fucking useless green shit thats meant for the lycra brigade on their pushbikes.

Fucking cunt spun my rear wheel and pissed green slime everywhere through the puncture completely covering the underside of the bike. Worracunt!

We're not allowed to use plugs anymore he said! Health and safety gone fucking mad as per usual.

luckily it was an old tyre..was going to replace both in a month, in some ways im glad it didn't happen on a new set. New toe slider maybe required considering the effort it took to correct the incoming lowside which then nearly turned into a highside when i get it upright and started to dip to the left..still amazed/bemused that i didn't bin the bike, adrenalin kept the bike intact lol!

Awesome save from me, but pissed off with AA after eventually taking 3.5 hours to get home on my usual 20 minute commute.

bmw%20gs1200%202012.jpg

The R1200GS is the bike my favourite drummer has, so I've read a fair bit about his trials and tribulations with it... and it's been all over Europe and the USA with a serious amount of miles across numerous iterations of the model.

By all accounts, it's a serious bit of touring kit, but seriously heavy too... hard work to pick one up once it's fallen. Allegedly decent for mild off-road terrain too... certainly rough 'off the map' roads.

I'm not a biker, so obviously my true knowledge is limited, other than to say it's highly reputed and reliable, if a little 'dull' in some people's eyes. Depends what you want from a bike, but 'fun' wears thin on anything that's not reliable.

If you search for 'Neil Peart' and R1200GS you should find a fair few articles on his journeys with this bike (he rides from concert to concert on this bike, typically on lesser traveled routes - so we're talking hundreds of miles per day. If it was a crap bike, I doubt he'd keep using them!

Enjoy the little wheeled beast!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...