You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Friend in Need

Rico1304

My girlfriend's dad has Myloma which is a form of cancer. He's recently had a relapse and they've found a number of new tumours which have made him really ill so he's been hospitalised in Addenbrooks in Cambridge. He was told earlier in the week that he'd have to be in hospital over Christmas having a new round of chemo so obviously celebrations have been a little muted here.

Anyway, his best mate is an American bloke called Jerry. GF's dad spoke to Jerry on the 23rd to say he's in hospital and will be over Christmas, during the conversation GF's dad said to Jerry that he feels that he's at the bottom of a mountain and doesn't know if he's got the strength to climb it.

What does Jerry do? Books a plane ticket to England that left on Christmas Day so he can tell GFs dad that he'll be with him all the way. Unbelievable, thats a real friend. Going to see him tomorrow and will buy that Texan the biggest drink I can.

That is top class. You can't buy proper friendship, the term 'friend' is increasingly cheap these days what with Facebook etc, but you're lucky if you meet one or two people who give that much of a fuck about you in your whole life. How did they become mates? Were they in the military?

Karma? Just found out that Jerry got upgraded on the flight over so travelled Bus Class instead of cattle class. Once in there he got talking to a bloke and during the converstaion told him the reason he was coming over. The bloke was from a village 20 miles from Cambridge so offered him a lift and spared him a hellish coach ride.

Karma? Just found out that Jerry got upgraded on the flight over so travelled Bus Class instead of cattle class. Once in there he got talking to a bloke and during the converstaion told him the reason he was coming over. The bloke was from a village 20 miles from Cambridge so offered him a lift and spared him a hellish coach ride.

Leg.

Friendship knows no boundaries.

That man sounds like a real fucking champion. What a friend that is, flying across the atlantic on christmas day. I take it the GF's dad didn't know he was doing it?

Fantastic.

I read that and think, I don't think I have a friend who cares that much. My family yeah, but my friends? I don't think any of them would do that.

True, true 'friend' as others have said.

I was with the ex for a couple of years and all the way through it her ol fella was battling cancer and eventually died. it put a massive strain on the relationship and for a variety of reasons it didn't work out although we are still very close.

Good luck mate.