You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trio related question for you:

My missus gets a train every morning from Lime Street to Liverpool South Parkway. She got on the Norwich train this morning and before she reached LSP (the first stop) the conductor collared her and told her that her Trio was not valid as it is (to quote the conductor) "Only valid on Merseyside trains so next time get one of your own!" and tried to have her for fare-dodging!

I rang up Merseyrail this afternoon on my break only to have some obstructive, condescending jobsworth tell me that Liverpool South Parkway isn't in C1 and when I whispered to my colleague that I had "a right snotty get here" he overheard me and accused me of swearing at him. I may have used indrustrial terminology to describe his arrogant, condesceding and unprofessional manner to my colleague, but I certainly didn't swear AT him.

What's the deal with a Trio that gets you from Town to Speke if it's not even valid on the trains that run in the zones that you've paid for?

Trio related question for you:

My missus gets a train every morning from Lime Street to Liverpool South Parkway. She got on the Norwich train this morning and before she reached LSP (the first stop) the conductor collared her and told her that her Trio was not valid as it is (to quote the conductor) "Only valid on Merseyside trains so next time get one of your own!" and tried to have her for fare-dodging!

I rang up Merseyrail this afternoon on my break only to have some obstructive, condescending jobsworth tell me that Liverpool South Parkway isn't in C1 and when I whispered to my colleague that I had "a right snotty get here" he overheard me and accused me of swearing at him. I may have used indrustrial terminology to describe his arrogant, condesceding and unprofessional manner to my colleague, but I certainly didn't swear AT him.

What's the deal with a Trio that gets you from Town to Speke if it's not even valid on the trains that run in the zones that you've paid for?

London Midland was the name of the company who operated the train to Norwich. Fucking conductor threw my missus off at Liverpool South Parkwayas if he'd caught her bunking on, the cheeky, bird-flu infected-turkey-shagging Norfolk twat! His whole attitude was "Get off my train you fare-dodging scouse cunt."

I could be wrong, but I think Liverpool South Parkway is on the boundary of Zones C1 and C2 - so if you've got a C1 ticket, then you can use it on any train service that stops there. (Merseytravel issue the tickets, so ring them instead of Merseyrail.)

I think the gobshites on the train were wrong and deserve a cockpunch.

I could be wrong, but I think Liverpool South Parkway is on the boundary of Zones C1 and C2 - so if you've got a C1 ticket, then you can use it on any train service that stops there. (Merseytravel issue the tickets, so ring them instead of Merseyrail.)

I think the gobshites on the train were wrong and deserve a cockpunch.

Yeah, he made a point of accusing her of fare-dodging by trying to use a "Scousepass" on a "Non-Scousepass" train even though the journey started and ended in Liverpool and then made a point of throwing her off at Liverpool South Parkway in full view of the other passengers while shouting "Thanks and don't come back!" at her.

Absolute beaut!

And I did ring Merseytravel and had the most arrogant, obnoxious wannabe-bizzie that I have ever encountered in my entire life. First he thought I was trying to say that I wanted use the pass outside Merseyside (duuuuurrrr!) and then arrogantly informed me that "Liverpool South Parkway is NOT in Zone C1."

Picture the Garth Marenghi IT man scene in The Office. I reckon that's his hero.

Edited by rargh

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, he made a point of accusing her of fare-dodging by trying to use a "Scousepass" on a "Non-Scousepass" train even though the journey started and ended in Liverpool and then made a point of throwing her off at Liverpool South Parkway in full view of the other passengers while shouting "Thanks and don't come back!" at her.

Absolute beaut!

And I did ring Merseytravel and had the most arrogant, obnoxious wannabe-bizzie that I have ever encountered in my entire life. First he thought I was trying to say that I wanted use the pass outside Merseyside (duuuuurrrr!) and then arrogantly informed me that "Liverpool South Parkway is NOT in Zone C1."

Picture the Garth Marenghi IT man scene in The Office. I reckon that's his hero.

Seriously - get a Trio boundary map (free) off Merseytravel, wrap it round a brick and twat anyone who tries to stop your missus making the journey she has paid for.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

On Friday morning (11 a.m. at Mann Island) the Merseytravel Committee will meet to decide on the new trains for Merseyrail.  This decision will have huge implications for the future of guards on Merseyrail.

Merseytravel Unison Branch supports the campaign by RMT (the Rail, Maritime and Transport workers’ union) to ensure the security and safety of our passengers by keeping guards on the trains and resisting the temptation of short-term cost savings offered by “Driver-Only Operation”.

This is not just a case of protecting jobs.  In August, a guard safely evacuated a trainload of passengers, while the driver was incapacitated following a collision  at a level-crossing in Southport.  And this month, a guard in the City Centre intervened to protect a passenger  from a sexual assault. 

Please show your support for the RMT Campaign  by contacting your Councillor by email, telephone, Twitter, or whatever to ask her or him to urge the Chair of the Merseytravel Committee, Cllr. Liam Robinson, to make safety Merseyrail’s top priority and to keep the guards on the trains.  (You can find you Councillors’ contact details on your local Council website.)

Please pass this message on to your members, your friends, family, social media contacts, etc.  The more people get involved in this campaign, the better.

They should definitely keep guards for safety reasons; there was that guard who screwed up a few years ago and ended up killing that girl, but that sort of thing would happen more often if there was no guards at all. Ironically, it's the drivers they can happily dispense with, as trains can drive themselves these days.

Guest Pistonbroke

They should put it to those who keep all of them in a job, I.E the paying public. Having an automated train without a driver or indeed Guards is not something I would personally like. 

They should put it to those who keep all of them in a job, I.E the paying public. Having an automated train without a driver or indeed Guards is not something I would personally like. 

You may have to get used to it, as Deutsche Bahn announced earlier this year that they will have driverless trains by 2021.

Guest Pistonbroke

You may have to get used to it, as Deutsche Bahn announced earlier this year that they will have driverless trains by 2021.

I rarely use trains mate, I prefer using the car for longer journeys. In fact I've only used a train a handful of times since the early 90's. 

Guest Pistonbroke

What about driverless cars?

Personally I'd rather be in control of my own car, although i can see the positive side from having that control taken away from those who shouldn't be allowed on the roads or the elderly who might want to have the freedom to go where they want. It would also be hugely beneficial to those who are disabled and unable to drive themselves. It is not something which should be made compulsory, although I reckon I'll have shuffled off this mortal coil before that could happen. 

Personally I'd rather be in control of my own car, although i can see the positive side from having that control taken away from those who shouldn't be allowed on the roads or the elderly who might want to have the freedom to go where they want. It would also be hugely beneficial to those who are disabled and unable to drive themselves. It is not something which should be made compulsory, although I reckon I'll have shuffled off this mortal coil before that could happen.

You forgot drunk people.

20 years mate. You won't be allowed to drive as the cars will be vastly superior to you in every way. Well, I say you won't be allowed but you'll be priced out of it as insurance for a human who could be tired, angry, pissed, high, just a poor driver will be extortionate.

I've been on driverless tube trains and don't see the issue. You don't have lift attendants anymore and that seems to work ok.