You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon  it'd be piss easy to scam one of these just giving things. Photoshop a picture of a random Chelsea pensioner with some bruises and say he was robbed while trying to defend his medals from a marauding Albanian, post the link on a few choice Facebook groups and Tahiti here I come. I'd post a few Easter eggs with it though, like say he'd fought at the battle of kursk and maybe photoshop a picture of quincy as his face, as well as the words "let's find these people there scum" underneath.

I had a facebook message about six months ago from one of my sister's friends giving it the sob story about her daughter who was about to be kicked out of a children's hospital as she will be 18 soon so does not qualify for treatment free as an adult. Something to do with mental health as apparently her daughter attempted suicide some time ago. Obviously needs help, no problem there. But she set up a just giving page because she needed to pay for treatment in another country as the waiting lists in the UK are too long. I got a message asking to donate but I didn't feel comfortable as how is paying for her treatment in another country going to help her in the longer term? Surely more money will be needed in the future?

Anyway after raising thousands and pleading gratitude for helping raise the money and how it would help so much, the hospital she was staying in granted her future treatment on the NHS. Free, gratis etc.

Of course, she donated every penny back. Well, not exactly. Precisely none of it was returned.

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Alan Barnes, the disabled pensioner who received more than £330,000 in donations after he was mugged, has said he will give £10 to help the woman who raised the money pay a PR bill of thousands.

JS55853984.jpg

"Sat round the piano, singing "Happy Birthday" for the 8th time that day"

Celebrating the festival of death in a care home does seem to be in extremely bad taste. Especially if they did fancy dress. Some of the old dears would probably think their time has come if they saw someone in a black shroud holding a scythe.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Celebrating the festival of death in a care home does seem to be in extremely bad taste. Especially if they did fancy dress. Some of the old dears would probably think their time has come if they saw someone in a black shroud holding a scythe.

I used to live next to one of those homes, in a block absolutely teeming with elderly people. Lived in permanent fear of the reaper knocking the wrong door.

I mean, where do you go with this.

An investigation into the crossbow murder of a Russian sausage magnate has taken a bizarre turn, as police searching a suspect’s home for clues instead found a man handcuffed to a bedpost.

Investigators said the man, who they described as a pensioner, was being held captive and extorted to sign over his apartment, indicating a wider criminal ring behind the grisly murder of the oligarch Vladimir Marugov on Monday.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I mean, where do you go with this.

An investigation into the crossbow murder of a Russian sausage magnate has taken a bizarre turn, as police searching a suspect’s home for clues instead found a man handcuffed to a bedpost.

Investigators said the man, who they described as a pensioner, was being held captive and extorted to sign over his apartment, indicating a wider criminal ring behind the grisly murder of the oligarch Vladimir Marugov on Monday.

IncompleteHomelyIndianglassfish-max-1mb.

• Upvote 1