You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well we're now competing with Chelsea, the filth, Arsenal, Villa, Citeh, Spurs and yes; the mighty Birmingham City for this guaranteed 4th place. On the plus side, Fulham don't play tonight so at least we stay a point ahead of FUCKING NINTH

Who shall we fall behind next? Stoke fucking city? Oh aye. Fourth place guaranteed Rafa. Looks like it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Stu, surely if you know you haven't got a lot to spend then it can't be wise to blow the vast majority of it on a player with an injury record to rival Harry Kewell. That can't be in the long term interests of the club as it's a hell of a gamble.

You are 100% correct. But Benitez will claim he was told Aquilani wasnt fit, then he wasnt match fit then he took longer than expect to get match fit. Finally the games he was match fit to play in were too rough and tumble for him to make his mark!

Well we're now competing with Chelsea, the filth, Arsenal, Villa, Citeh, Spurs and yes; the mighty Birmingham City for this guaranteed 4th place. On the plus side, Fulham don't play tonight so at least we stay a point ahead of FUCKING NINTH

Who shall we fall behind next? Stoke fucking city? Oh aye. Fourth place guaranteed Rafa. Looks like it.

I was looking at the table this morning, and we're actually the same number of points from the top as we are from the bottom.

Says it all really.

I'm not interested in having the same debates about expectations again but I just want to make a point about Aquilani here. Don't you see that your criticism there is actually shooting at Rafa for doing something for the long-term benefit of LFC instead of his own short-term benefit of having a strong start to the season, or even one good season. He's buying quite a sought after prospect with plenty of years in him at a bit of a cheaper price because he comes with an injury. It's the same as the Johnson buy. LFC cannot afford to buy players in their late twenties for big money anymore, and out interest in Arshavin was a folly for me. If we're getting a maximum of £20m a season to spend on improving the squad then it needs to be spent on players that we can get the most out of over a number of years.

Buying an instant fix for too much money or throwing in an injured player too soon would be much more selfish things for Benitez to do.

He's performing well below par this season but I think a few of the things being levelled at Rafa are out of line.

Spot on that.

I really don't get this arguement. Birmingham go on a boss run and suddenly are gonna carry it on for the full season?

Villa last year did similar to this and fell apart around March and even ended up in 6th.

That's your opinion Stu, We will have to wait until a few years time to see the outcome.

But lets get one thing straight Liverpool Football Club is not in a position to take a £20m gamble on a player with an injury record like his.

Again only time will tell.

But Stu, surely if you know you haven't got a lot to spend then it can't be wise to blow the vast majority of it on a player with an injury record to rival Harry Kewell. That can't be in the long term interests of the club as it's a hell of a gamble.

I accept your points, and they are both very valid. I see it from another perspective which is that if you are trying to meet expectations above your resources, something we are doing, then if you see a player that has the possibility of becoming something very good for the club, and he's got a discount sticker on him because of his injury, then you take that chance that you'll get more than what you paid for.

I know it's a gamble but to compete with clubs with more resources you're going to need to pull a few rabbits out of hats, that's essentially why we hired him.

And we're going to need a fair few rabbits if the Yanks want to spend just enough to keep the Champions League money rolling in; and they do.

Rafa needs to get more out of his average players like Lucas and Kuyt then we might have a chance of making 4th. The owners shafted him in the summer, the players need competition to stay on there toes but funds went on reducing the debt. That said we should be doing better and playing with more spirit.

I accept your points, and they are both very valid. I see it from another perspective which is that if you are trying to meet expectations above your resources, something we are doing, then if you see a player that has the possibility of becoming something very good for the club, and he's got a discount sticker on him because of his injury, then you take that chance that you'll get more than what you paid for.

I know it's a gamble but to compete with clubs with more resources you're going to need to pull a few rabbits out of hats, that's essentially why we hired him.

And we're going to need a fair few rabbits if the Yanks want to spend just enough to keep the Champions League money rolling in; and they do.

Without doubt he's been shafted for money in the last couple of windows and he has to take chances.

But the problem I've got with this particular signing is the consequences that it might have later on. If he doesn't make an impact this season then it may mean the difference between qualifying or not qualifying for the CL next season. If we don't get qualify next season and I really think we've got a fight on our hands, then I can only see a scenario where we have to sell players. That's why I can't see his signing as one for the future, it may be too late by then.

I really don't get this arguement. Birmingham go on a boss run and suddenly are gonna carry it on for the full season?

Villa last year did similar to this and fell apart around March and even ended up in 6th.

Thats not the point.

it's about us, we are below Birmingham City.

I suspect we probably will, but having not looked at the table for weeks, I must admit I am not overly confident

That winning run needs to start sharpish.

To save you taking a look, we're currently 7 points off Arsenal in 4th and 8 points behind Villa in 3rd.

I hate using the term "must win", but tomorrow really is one of those games.

Stu £20m is not a discount, Seriously who gives the price tags? I know very very little of Aquallani infact I've never heard of him to be honest.

So if for instance he was fit and Man Utd paid £30m for him I'd be questioning old whiskey nose.

Mate, listen to the podcast that you yourself took part in. Listen to what Seraf says about him. I'd imagine a shitload of that money is based on him playing and us winning things too.

£20m doesn't buy you much; it just about gets you a Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson or a Nani. Or two Serbian kids you don't even need to play.

Well apparently he didnt get the Alonso money and yet he still signed Alberto.

Point is, in order to sign anyone he ended up needing to generate £30m (i.e spent little/not significant sums of the any transfer "fund")

Ergo, if he doesn't bring in £30m...

Desperately trying not use the words n*t spe*d.

78 appearances in 5 years for roma is a hell of a gamble for 20 million

Thats not the point.

it's about us, we are below Birmingham City.

I was commenting on a post that said we are competing with Birmingham City for 4th.

They have just gone on their best top flight run in over 30years. It wont continue but that doesn't seem to stop the comment on them being in competition with us.

I think we will finish in the top 4, not because we are any good, but because the teams we compete with are serial underachievers.

Neither Villa, Spurs or City will be able to put together a decent run of wins, they will always stumble more often than not and thats what will save our arse.

And we are?