You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 4th is a disaster this season even 3rd, I'm sorry but we are a terrible team bar our main players. There all his players and he can't have any excuse. He paid 20m for a player who has played just 20 mins in the league so far. Nobody put his arm up his back to sign him.

I fully expect Liverpool to finish 4th but so what?

What does finishing 4th get us? Owners who can go crawling to the bank saying "look champions league play off".

There is no title challange this season and whats the difference in the squad from last season?

If this is the 4th year without a trophy and miles away from the winners of the league, it should be end off.

4th will be a disaster because as you mention, its only a CL qualifier now and a tough one at that. 3rd would be less of a disaster since we'd go straight to the groups. It would be a huge disappointment after last season.

We'll do well to finish 4th imo.

Agree finishing 4th is the least you can expect, but when you are knocked out of the CL in the groups stage, knocked out of the Carling Cup in the 4th round and only have the FA Cup (because it has not started yet) left to play for in December (not considering the UEFA Cup) there should be no way back for a Liverpool manager, especially not someone who have not won a throphy in 3 seasons and never won the league despite it being his 6th season in charge.

Its simply not good enough.

Now! if it was after January window and all the teams were as they are, i would of agreed. But the Chavs have a few windows to prepare for, Arsenal will make a few signings because of injury's, Manc are the Mancs who don't really bother because they already have depth, City are gonna go ape shit and buy loads now they have shown how good they can be they will get players of the highest calibor., Then you got Sunderland and Spurs. We have no chance what so ever unless we are taken over by some rich arabs and before January ends.

Part of me thinks Rafa's guarantee could turn out to be true basing it on the way the team has performed later on in the season over the last few years and part of me thinks he is talking chocolate salty balls. This year however it is even harder to believe with his guarantee being reliant on Gerrard and Torres staying fit for every game which isn't going to happen. My intuition tells me a miracle is on the horizon and Aquilani will go fucking sick on every one paulie walnuts style and everyone will have to submit.

I think he has made a rod for his own back but personally I am very happy with that because once it becomes clear we wont make 4th the club will have to act and just point out he failed to deliver on his guarantee.

The other possiblity is he knows if the next 3 to 5 results go against him he is going to be sacked anyway and he can at least then say you didnt allow me the chance to finish 4th.

I think he has made a rod for his own back but personally I am very happy with that because once it becomes clear we wont make 4th the club will have to act and just point out he failed to deliver on his guarantee.

The other possiblity is he knows if the next 3 to 5 results go against him he is going to be sacked anyway and he can at least then say you didnt allow me the chance to finish 4th.

You;re a fucking disgrace, Nick. Have a fucking word with yourself, you're going to be very happy with yourself because a manager of Liverpool fails? Jesus fucking Christ. New lows. New fucking lows.

You;re a fucking disgrace, Nick. Have a fucking word with yourself, you're going to be very happy with yourself because a manager of Liverpool fails? Jesus fucking Christ. New lows. New fucking lows.

Your another one just interperating things that arent there, please act your age and not your show size

We are 5 points behind Villa, with 22 games to play, and if we finish above them , Rafa will declare himself a miracle worker ! The man thinks we are idiots. With the players in our team, it is a deficit that we should be able to overturn, but his statement tonight makes out that the task will be outstanding.

We are 5 points behind Villa, with 22 games to play, and if we finish above them , Rafa will declare himself a miracle worker ! The man thinks we are idiots. With the players in our team, it is a deficit that we should be able to overturn, but his statement tonight makes out that the task will be outstanding.

If he says it's guaranteed, it means nothing of the sort. It makes out that it's no great shakes because that's what he expects.

I think 4th is a disaster this season even 3rd, I'm sorry but we are a terrible team bar our main players. There all his players and he can't have any excuse. He paid 20m for a player who has played just 20 mins in the league so far. Nobody put his arm up his back to sign him.

I fully expect Liverpool to finish 4th but so what?

What does finishing 4th get us? Owners who can go crawling to the bank saying "look champions league play off".

There is no title challange this season and whats the difference in the squad from last season?

If this is the 4th year without a trophy and miles away from the winners of the league, it should be end off.

I'm not interested in having the same debates about expectations again but I just want to make a point about Aquilani here. Don't you see that your criticism there is actually shooting at Rafa for doing something for the long-term benefit of LFC instead of his own short-term benefit of having a strong start to the season, or even one good season. He's buying quite a sought after prospect with plenty of years in him at a bit of a cheaper price because he comes with an injury. It's the same as the Johnson buy. LFC cannot afford to buy players in their late twenties for big money anymore, and out interest in Arshavin was a folly for me. If we're getting a maximum of £20m a season to spend on improving the squad then it needs to be spent on players that we can get the most out of over a number of years.

Buying an instant fix for too much money or throwing in an injured player too soon would be much more selfish things for Benitez to do.

He's performing well below par this season but I think a few of the things being levelled at Rafa are out of line.

If he thinks merely finishing in the top 4 is enough, he's wrong. A sustained, consistent challenge for the title is what we want each year as a minimum and thats not going to happen this year for sure. Its time for a change and has been for 3yrs.

No, a sustained and constant trumping from vagrants is what you want Baz, and don't you deny it.

I'm not interested in having the same debates about expectations again but I just want to make a point about Aquilani here. Don't you see that your criticism there is actually shooting at Rafa for doing something for the long-term benefit of LFC instead of his own short-term benefit of having a strong start to the season, or even one good season. He's buying quite a sought after prospect with plenty of years in him at a bit of a cheaper price because he comes with an injury. It's the same as the Johnson buy. LFC cannot afford to buy players in their late twenties for big money anymore, and out interest in Arshavin was a folly for me. If we're getting a maximum of £20m a season to spend on improving the squad then it needs to be spent on players that we can get the most out of over a number of years.

Buying an instant fix for too much money or throwing in an injured player too soon would be much more selfish things for Benitez to do.

He's performing well below par this season but I think a few of the things being levelled at Rafa are out of line.

But Stu, surely if you know you haven't got a lot to spend then it can't be wise to blow the vast majority of it on a player with an injury record to rival Harry Kewell. That can't be in the long term interests of the club as it's a hell of a gamble.