You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smacks of moving the goalposts

Moving the goalposts is when people say it's just like Houllier because he finished 2nd, then the season after both didn't do as well. I don't remember people clamouring for Houllier's sacking in December of 2002.

That's not a point directed at you, Mick.

Finishing 4th can hardly be qualified as a success really, can it?

It depends , we have no god given right to finish in the top four , with the players we have then Yes we should and if we do, as things stand right now it would be a success, but all I know right now is that we deserve to be where we are and Rafa has to start to realising that.

How dare a manager predict success for his team!

You'd count predicting a top four finish as a success? From where I look at it, it's a necessity, a bare minimum for a Liverpool manager.

Edit: only just saw the other posts on the same subject- didn't mean to step on the points!

I think he just probably asked does he think we'll finish top 4 and he answered it.

Peopel are looking for things that aren't there too often, lately.

He said, 'I guarantee we'll finish in the top four'.

Whether he was asked the question, 'Can you guarantee you'll finish in the top four?', I don't know but either way it's a very bold statement.

I don't have a problem with him saying it because my view is, fucking too right we'll finish in the top four! That should be the bare minimum.

He said, 'I guarantee we'll finish in the top four'.

Whether he was asked the question, 'Can you guarantee you'll finish in the top four?', I don't know but either way it's a very bold statement.

I don't have a problem with him saying it because my view is, fucking too right we'll finish in the top four! That should be the bare minimum.

I was more talking about people saying he's shifting the goal posts by saying 4th is success. He didn't say that. He just said he guarantess we'll finsh top 4.

Guest Pistonbroke

I feel he's given a few managers their team talk for when they play us. To me it sounds like a statement a worried manager would come out with. We have to hope we can get a top 4 finish, otherwise we are going to slide into more debt.

Guest PurpleNose

Out of interest how would people like him to have responded?

"Deffo"

"Maybe"

"Fucking no chance, we're shite"

He'd get a caining whatever he said. It simply doesn't matter.

Just want to beat Wigan. Not interested in what he says, what he might have said, or what the press have made up.

I think we will finish in the top 4, not because we are any good, but because the teams we compete with are serial underachievers.

Neither Villa, Spurs or City will be able to put together a decent run of wins, they will always stumble more often than not and thats what will save our arse.