You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bye bye Rafa.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says he "guarantees" that they will finish in the top four despite their poor form so far this season.

Having begun hoping to challenge for the title Liverpool lie seventh in the table, 13 points behind leaders Chelsea and out of the Champions League.

"I am sure we can do it because I know we are better than the team you are seeing on the pitch," said Benitez.

"I can guarantee we will finish in the top four."

On Sunday, Liverpool lost 2-1 at home to Arsenal, despite scoring first.

That result, their sixth league defeat of the season, left them five points adrift of the Champions League places. And it extended their run of poor results to only three wins in the last 15 games, their last home victory having come against champions Manchester United on 25 October.

Benitez is facing the most difficult period of his five years in charge at Anfield, but insists he will not compromise his principles to get out of an uncomfortable situation.

"For five years I think we were doing well," he said. "So we have to keep going in the same way because the club is stronger now in everything: the squad, the value of the club is better than five years ago.

"Yes, it is a bad moment but I still think we can improve.

"I think it is very important for any manager, but especially here in England, to be strong.

"You have to show you have an idea, you have your own people that you can talk with and analyse things and say 'This is the way to do things' and we have to keep going.

"The main thing for me is to come here early in the morning, do my job, go home still working a little bit and try to be ready for the next day.

"That is the way to do things and that is an example for the players - and they are doing the same thing.

"Everything can be improved and if we make mistakes we keep going.

"There are still 22 games to play so we know we have to change our target. Now it is to get three points against Wigan and then start thinking about Portsmouth (at the weekend)."

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this on the BBC. I agree with him. We will be top four.

606 spastics can fuck off.

i pray to god we do, but at the moment it seems beyond us. i think fabio starting regularly and keeping that back four together, plus getting aquilani playing regularly will do us no harm though

Bit if a bold statement that.

Digging his own grave ?

he might as well throw his hat in and put his job on the line, because he'll lose it anyway if we finish outside the top four. this way he can say "told you so" if he does get us there, which for me, he wont

Guest PurpleNose
i pray to god we do, but at the moment it seems beyond us. i think fabio starting regularly and keeping that back four together, plus getting aquilani playing regularly will do us no harm though

We're 5 points off 4th, with 22 games left. I'm actually surprised at just how close to 4th we are baring in mind how monumentally shite we've been, coupled with the injuries.

We're lucky Chelsea are the only really good side in the league.

We're 5 points off 4th, with 22 games left. I'm actually surprised at just how close to 4th we are baring in mind how monumentally shite we've been, coupled with the injuries.

We're lucky Chelsea are the only really good side in the league.

yeah, i agree, which makes it hurt even more how we're doing because the liverpool of the back end of last season would be about 10 points clear now! what a difference a summer can make!

I would rather the manager make statements to the media instead of [insert random player name] spouting off about how we need to step it up, turn the corner, work hard for each other, believe, and all the usual guff we hear from certain players. I've also noticed how when one of the players "issues a rallying call", that player tends to have a poor game straight afterwards.

I understand that fans want to know what's going on, but in this situation I would prefer the players to close ranks and just get on with it.

Finishing 4th can hardly be qualified as a success really, can it?

Not what we would quantify as success. In terms of where we are at this season it could be deemed by some. Top 4 and a trophy would be what I am expecting to call a small success but I would demand better next season, a lot better.

Guest PurpleNose
As I said in the other thread i'd love a boss who guarentees winning the league

I'd want them carted off if they made that guarantee at the moment.