You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

R.I.P Alan A'Court

njackets

Liverpool Football Club were sad to learn of the death of ex-Red Alan A'Court, who passed away on Monday following illness.

Related Links

A'Court, who was aged 75, joined the club in 1952 and enjoyed an 11-year spell at Anfield, in which time he featured 381 times and scored 63 goals.

A strong and direct winger, he made the Reds' left flank his own during that time and even featured for England in the 1958 World Cup, despite plying his trade in the Second Division.

A'Court also had the honour of being the first man to score a competitive goal under Bill Shankly and Brian Hall of Liverpool's Former Players' Association, was quick to pay tribute to him, in a week that marks the 50th anniversary of the Scot's Anfield arrival.

"It's extremely sad news and everyone at the club is deeply saddened and shocked," said Hall.

"We knew he had not been well, but we did not realise how serious it was. He was a terrific footballer and a lovely guy.

"It is a real shock because I only saw him three or four months ago. Everyone at the club would like to pass on their sympathies to Alma and his family at this sad time."

Rainhill-born Alan gave the club outstanding service from the day he made his debut against Middlesbrough as an 18 year old on 7th February 1953 until the last of his 355 League appearances in the final fixture of the 1962-63 season.

Peter Thompson was signed from Preston North End to fill the left-wing role that Alan had made his own for so long and he moved on to Tranmere Rovers in October 1964.

He made his farewell appearance for Liverpool in the club's historic opening European tie against Reykjavik in September 1964, despite not having played in a single League match during the whole of the previous season!

Alan had passed his 30th birthday by a few days when he moved to Tranmere and he was perhaps unlucky to just miss out on the glory days which were around the corner, having to settle for a Second Division championship medal as his only major honour with the club.

He had just begun to establish himself as a first-team regular when the club was relegated in 1954 but missed only a handful of games over the next 8 seasons before promotion was finally achieved back into the top division. Alan scored 61 League goals for Liverpool, with another 2 coming in the F.A. Cup.

More info on Alan A'Court:

++ / LFChistory.net -- Past Present Future

A very sad loss,i knew Alan and Alma personally he will be greatly missed by many. One of my fondest memories of him is when i was walking past his house on my return from istanbul and him stopping me and my friend to talk about our experience the previous night,he always had time to talk about our club and the latest matches as well as the old days.

A true gentleman R.I.P. Alan, you were a legend.