You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan @ Anfield, Wednesday night

zigackly

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recieved a text with the following team.

Riena

Carra

Agger

Insua

Yossi

SG

masch

Aurelio

Torres

Kuyt

Haha this reminds me of one time when our coach did the line up in the dressing room before a match, he named the team and made a glowing speech about it being the best team in the league and that there was no way we could lose the upcoming match.

One of the players said: "Erm coach, thats only 10 players,"

Then he replied, "you are right, xxxx will also be in the team, but we will beat them anyway"

Its much the same scenario it would be for us if Rafa forgot to mention Kuyt in the original line up I guess.

Liverpool v Wigan Athletic - Match Preview

As disappointing as the second half on Sunday was, it’s gone now and we have an immediate opportunity to put it behind us. This game couldn’t have come at a better time for us, assuming we win it of course. Things are bad, but we have a chance to make them look considerably better if we can get back on track with a convincing home win, and aside from Portsmouth and maybe Hull, Wigan are probably the ideal opposition as they aren’t a side who will just look to make things difficult for us.

Sunday was the first time this season we’ve had a full compliment of players to choose from (I’m not counting the likes of El Zhar and Babel), but unfortunately that won’t be the case tonight as Glen Johnson is out. Nevertheless, things are much better on the injury front and it will be a strong looking side that takes to the field against Wigan.

In Johnson’s absence, Carragher will probably be asked to fill in at right back, and Steven Gerrard is expected to line up next to Mascherano in midfield, with Lucas dropping to the bench. Wigan are a side we should beat comfortably, although they are a side who can play nice football if you let them. It’s not a game where we need to be cagey, it’s one where we have to get on top of them from the first whistle and put them under pressure.

If Gerrard is playing in midfield then I expect us to do just that, as we’ll play with a higher tempo than usual and will hopefully have a lot more drive from the middle of the park. As brilliant as the Gerrard/Torres partnership is, I think it’s time we tried something a bit different, not because of either of them, but because the midfield behind them simply isn’t creative enough. Putting Gerrard back in there (at least until Aquilani is deemed ready to take on the mantle) will help.

Unfortunately, that leaves a big hole to be filled up there with Torres. Who do we have to do it? For me Benayoun is the only one who could do the job to an acceptable level, unless Kuyt suddenly remembers how to play football that is. Dirk will probably get the nod tonight, and can hopefully build on the couple of goals he’s scored recently.

Wigan are a strange team. There’s been times I’ve watched them and thought they looked pretty good, but then you have to be pretty bad to let nine in at Spurs. They’ve got some decent players, the left back who scored that amazing goal last week is good, and I like that Rodallega too. But there’s some shite in there as well and if we can’t beat them tonight than we may as well pack up and go home.

We badly need a result tonight, and I want to see us really go at them and for the players to show they haven’t given up the ghost. Rafa has ‘guaranteed’ we’ll make the top four, but if he’s to be proved right we need to start winning games soon, as the gap between us and the top four is growing by the week.

Line up prediction: Reina; Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insua; Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Aurelio; Kuyt, Torres:

Score prediction: 4-0 (Torres 2, Benayoun, Gerrard)

Good review Dave.

Shame Johnson is injured, as he was bought to help give us more threat out wide against the weaker teams that come to defend at Anfield and he has done that superbly... plus he's been arguably our best player this season, along with Pepe.

I totally agree about Gerrard in centre midfield and as people know I have been going on and on about that for ages... but it just makes sense to me that we need more creativity in centre midfield, something the Mascherano / Licas partnership doesn't offer. Gerrard will give us more umph in that position, plus we've won every game he's started in centre midfield this season.

Re: Torres partner, I hope it is Benayoun, as you say, (if Aquilani doesn't start) as it is his best role and he deserves it on form more than Kuyt. I'd prefer Ngog to get the nod over Kuyt, who really should be dropped just to show the rest of the squad that players are picked on form, not reputation alone. But I guess Kuyt will play, he always does, regardless of form.

Aquilani should be playing, as he needs games and the team needs his quality. If Rafa doesn't think he is ready for the Premiership tempo and tackling, then he can play behind Torres in a free role, as he's got the creativity it seems. I'd like to see Pacheco on the bench, as other than Yossi and Gerrard (and hopefully Aquilani) he seems capable of making a telling pass, from the glimpses I have seen from him.

I suspect we'll win and easily, as Gerrard from centre midfield really does give our side an extra dimension in attack.

We're due a good performance and hopefully it's tonight.

-----------Reina------------

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Benayoun--Aquilani--Masch--Dossena

-----------Gerrard-----------

------------Torres------------

l think Kuyt and Insua need a rest and with Kelly and Reira being injured, I'd bring in Dossena and play Yossi on the right. If Johnson is fit I'd play him, if not I'd play Degen. Wigan will sit back and be happy with a draw so the game is there for the taking.

2 nil win.

Anyone know what miraculous event caused the dropping of Lucas? Is this why Rafa is now able to guarantee fourth spot?

I won't believe it until I see the line up on .tv.

-----------Reina------------

Johnson--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Benayoun--Aquilani--Masch--Dossena

-----------Gerrard-----------

------------Torres------------

l think Kuyt and Insua need a rest and with Kelly and Reira being injured, I'd bring in Dossena and play Yossi on the right. If Johnson is fit I'd play him, if not I'd play Degen. Wigan will sit back and be happy with a draw so the game is there for the taking.

2 nil win.

Kuyt will play - he always fuckin plays.