You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan @ Anfield, Wednesday night

zigackly

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening Echo | Mascherano set to retain place

Mascherano set to retain place

15/12/2009 - 15:10:49

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano is likely to be fit to face Wigan at Anfield tomorrow in the Barclays Premier League.

The Argentina captain sustained a thigh problem which forced him off in Sunday’s defeat at home to Arsenal but he trained today and is expected to retain his place in the starting line-up.

Right-back Glen Johnson, also substituted against the Gunners, spent today with the physiotherapists and did not train.

He is more of a doubt.

Winger Albert Riera still has a hamstring problem so will not be risked while £20m summer signing Alberto Aquilani is likely to find himself on the bench again.

Provisional squad: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Torres, Cavalieri, Lucas, Aurelio, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Degen.

They are selling tickets for this in the Club Shop in Liverpool One. Walked past before and there are posters in the window advertising.

The only good thing that can come out of us being shit IMO, lets get rid of these post Istanbul glory hunting whopers! Iv'e noticed how easier it is getting tickets lately (must be if iv'e managed so many) people who have to travel must be thinking its not worth the effort, combine that with crimbo, hopefully they fk off for good!

mid-week, ten days before Christmas, against wigan, in this kind of form?

It's hardly any wonder it's not sold out. I thought long and hard about it myself tbh.

It's not surprising at all that it's not sold out due to the time of year and the current financial situation but I was surprised to see them selling them in the Club Shop. Cant remember them ever doing that before.

Good side Wigan and they always cause us problems. They'll be confident and they'll be excited to be at Anfield.

I'm not confident at all.

1-1

Not sure I agree they always cause us problems Tom, but they have made it a bit more difficult for us the last three times we have been up against each other than what they used to.

How much of thats down to the S.Buce factor is difficult to tell, but Bruce usually always makes it difficult for Rafa in the league.

03-Dec-05 Liverpool - Wigan 3-0

11-Feb-06 Wigan - Liverpool 0-1

02-Dec-06 Wigan - Liverpool 0-4

21-Apr-07 Liverpool - Wigan 2-0

29-Sep-07 Wigan - Liverpool 0-1

02-Jan-08 Liverpool - Wigan 1-1

18-Oct-08 Liverpool - Wigan 3-2

28-Jan-09 Wigan - Liverpool 1-1

Total: 6 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses, 16-4 goal difference.

Not sure I agree they always cause us problems Tom, but they have made it a bit more difficult for us the last three times we have been up against each other than what they used to.

How much of thats down to the S.Buce factor is difficult to tell, but Bruce usually always makes it difficult for Rafa in the league.

03-Dec-05 Liverpool - Wigan 3-0

11-Feb-06 Wigan - Liverpool 0-1

02-Dec-06 Wigan - Liverpool 0-4

21-Apr-07 Liverpool - Wigan 2-0

29-Sep-07 Wigan - Liverpool 0-1

02-Jan-08 Liverpool - Wigan 1-1

18-Oct-08 Liverpool - Wigan 3-2

28-Jan-09 Wigan - Liverpool 1-1

Total: 6 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses, 16-4 goal difference.

Weird. I thought they had a better record against us too.

The ones in bold sre probably why i think that. They were both midweek games too.

id be happy with the luckiest shitiest win ever in the history of football

Nothing matters on Wednesday other than 3 points

A win is exactly whats needed. Doesn't matter how we play at the moment points is what matters. But i think we will beat wigan comfortably if we can get a performance like the first half against arsenal.

I'm taking my girlfriend, it's her first game at Anfield.

Think we'll be right next to the Wigan fan, I hope he doesn't swear as she's a delicate little flower.

She's also demanded the Torres bounce, so if any of you with 'insider' knowledge could ask Rafa to play him and get him to score I'll invest to rep you. Oh and save me a parking space could you?

Cheers