You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan @ Anfield, Wednesday night

zigackly

I have 100% record of not starting these threads, so hopefully no jinx.

Hope we begin exactly the same as against Arsenal, but finish differently.

Aquilani still looked off the pace against Arsenal, so I don't know whether I would start him or not, but he must get at least 30 minutes, come rain or shine.

I'm assuming Riera was eaten by a grue.

...............Reina

Johnson Carra Agger Aurelio

..........Masch Someone

....Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun

..............Torres

Nice positive performance and any kind of win please.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

How will we approach the game.

Positively and with a killer instinct if we take the lead = win

Defensively like the last few months and Wigan are capable on their day of adding to our woes.

Two up front please and take off the shackles. Let the players express themselves and build up some positive momentum. if that fails then we really are in the shit.

Given what happened early on in the Arsenal game I'd be tempted to start with (injuries permitting) the team that started on sun.

If we can build a decent 2 goal lead (which we should do against Wigan if we're being optimistic) then a half hour run out for Aquilani would be good. Would be nice to see a cameo from Pacheco too if at all possible.

Think we'll see a good performance and a commanding win. I'd have Gerrard centrally with Mascherano, AA off Torres and Benayoun playing from the right with, if he's fit, Riera from the left. Ideally, Lucas, Kuyt and Insua won't be starting. If Riera isn't fit, I'd be tempted to have Ngog and Torres up front from the off.

Also expect a performance from Glen Johnson, a player like him will be very eager to make up for Sunday, probably our player of the season.

We will win this.

Think we'll see a good performance and a commanding win. I'd have Gerrard centrally with Mascherano, AA off Torres and Benayoun playing from the right with, if he's fit, Riera from the left. Ideally, Lucas, Kuyt and Insua won't be starting. If Riera isn't fit, I'd be tempted to have Ngog and Torres up front from the off.

Also expect a performance from Glen Johnson, a player like him will be very eager to make up for Sunday, probably our player of the season.

We will win this.

Agree with all that!

We will win this.

I like your style with that selection. However, I'm not at all confidant about a win because I strongly suspect the players themselves aren't. Also, it very much depends which Wigan turn up - the shit one or the good one.

I'm not sure about Ngog and Torres together either. Admittedly we saw little of the ball up front on Sunday in the second half, but I thought they took up similar positions, even challenging for the same header from a goal kick on one occasion.

We've been hearing all season long that we have no back-up striker for Torres. If that is the case, why on earth should we play 4-4-2? Add to that Torres liking and being at is best in the sole striker role, and our possible improvements being in the midfield (and defence), it makes even less sense.

We've been hearing all season long that we have no back-up striker for Torres. If that is the case, why on earth should we play 4-4-2? Add to that Torres liking and being at is best in the sole striker role, and our possible improvements being in the midfield (and defence), it makes even less sense.

It is a good point but we have been struggling with a striker to play on their own when we do have strikers who can play as part of a front 2.

Benayoun can also play as a withdrawn striker as can Kuyt.

It may be an idea not to worry about the opposition and really go for it as the 4-2-3-1 has not really worked so far this season has it ?