You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

as if people weren't fed up enough...

Bob

We were outbid on Ronaldo weren't we? Houllier wanted him, but the Mancs more then tripled our bid to £12.7m for an unknown quantity who'd only ever player 31 professional games, and who was then useless for a three seasons before clicking.

Would any Liverpool player get 2 or 3 seasons of been average after us paying over £12m for him before the fans turned on him?

My understanding was that we could have got him for £5M and turned it down, then he turned up at the Mancs some time later, after an excellent performance against them in a pre-season game convinced them to bid decent money for him.

He was far from useless by the way and was always an excellent prospect without having a final ball. I don't think it took three seasons to find one either.

I agree it isn't easy, especially in today's market. But if we had invested a while back when we were spending millions on mediocre shite we might just have landed someone who could have done a job both then and now. I'm sure we all thought Kewell would do a better job but apart from him we haven't even remotely signed anyone who has given me a hint of hope. We haven't always been skint, we should really have spent more wisely than on a whim. It's all a guessing game of course... will said player fit in with the team, Country league etc. But i feel short changed by both scouts and managers alike down the years. As far as i can remember back most great teams have had great wingers.

Agree with this. Seeing as the same can be said for the right side as well, we really haven't done well on the winger front over the last decade.

We were outbid on Ronaldo weren't we? Houllier wanted him, but the Mancs more then tripled our bid to £12.7m for an unknown quantity who'd only ever player 31 professional games, and who was then useless for a three seasons before clicking.

Would any Liverpool player get 2 or 3 seasons of been average after us paying over £12m for him before the fans turned on him?

No. Ronaldo was demanding ridiculous wages, I think, and we were like.. No dice.

The next summer the mancs bought him.

£5M a few years ago would have got us Ronaldo before the Mancs Johnny. I'm fairly sure there are other examples of players we could have signed in the wide positions who were relatively inexpensive but effective. Fact is our last two managers have decided not to buy natural wide players, or when they have, bought duds.

Apparently Ronaldo was snatched from under our noses after that friendly the Mancs had. If only we could've spent a couple of million more then we would have bought a player who would be the best in the world and whose value would increase eleven-fold. Instead we got Bruno Cheyrou.

Probably being a bit harsh there. It was pretty clear from early on that he was outrageously talented, even though he didn't always know how best to use his skills.

Chances are he wouldn't even have succeeded with us.

I bet United would have made a lot more out of Le Tallec too. To his credit, Slur's never been afraid to take a punt on a young player.

No. Ronaldo was demanding ridiculous wages, I think, and we were like.. No dice.

The next summer the mancs bought him.

I believe he wanted a £1m a year and we refused it. He now earns that in a month.

Can we have a poll of the best wingers we've not signed because we wouldn't pay the asking price?