You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

as if people weren't fed up enough...

Bob

The offal have decided to cheer us all up with a poll.

Everyone loves a good poll. They havent RiS'd it up or anything, it a really well set out poll.

Only problem is the question, and more appropriately the answers.

Vote: Left winger of the Decade

Fucking hell.

The options include a past it central midfielder, a left back, an attacking midfielder who bas better off the front man and barely actually existing in this decade for us, and then Kewell, Babel and Riera.

Fucking hell. A decade of that shite.

Vote: Left winger of the Decade - Liverpool FC

Guest Pistonbroke

The names on the list make for sad reading. We haven't had a decent left winger in ages and it's a while since we had a decent right winger. In fact we've had our wings clipped like a bird who isn't allowed to fly any more.

Guest Pistonbroke
I think Berger is comfortably the best of a fairly woeful bunch there.

What is it about this club and a complete inability to sign quality widemen?

They should have made the poll " Vote, shittiest left winger of the decade ". It would made it a level playing field then.

Guest Pistonbroke
I just don't understand why we haven't gone out and bought someone as good as McManaman. Sure it's dead easy. You just type "excellant winger who will be a success" into ebay and buy him. Easy.

Or maybe our scouts could do their job better.

It helps if you don't spend all your money on central midfielders.

Or maybe our scouts could do their job better.

Two fine points. I am of course been a bit arsey as the list of left wingers we have had over the last 10 years is, well, retarded.

However, it is not as easy as some peoples annoyance seems to suggest. Certainly, right now, we either have to produce our own one from the acadamy, or spend £20m or so to try and guarantee a good player (although when you look at the likes of Nani and Anderson at Man Utd, even this money doesn't guarantee quality)

We should have had better left wingers. About the best value for money we've had recently is probably Riera. For what we spent, I think we got our moneys worth. However, he is not going to get you a league title (Although I accept he almost did last year)

£5M a few years ago would have got us Ronaldo before the Mancs Johnny. I'm fairly sure there are other examples of players we could have signed in the wide positions who were relatively inexpensive but effective. Fact is our last two managers have decided not to buy natural wide players, or when they have, bought duds.

Guest Pistonbroke
Two fine points. I am of course been a bit arsey as the list of left wingers we have had over the last 10 years is, well, retarded.

However, it is not as easy as some peoples annoyance seems to suggest. Certainly, right now, we either have to produce our own one from the acadamy, or spend £20m or so to try and guarantee a good player (although when you look at the likes of Nani and Anderson at Man Utd, even this money doesn't guarantee quality)

We should have had better left wingers. About the best value for money we've had recently is probably Riera. For what we spent, I think we got our moneys worth. However, he is not going to get you a league title (Although I accept he almost did last year)

I agree it isn't easy, especially in today's market. But if we had invested a while back when we were spending millions on mediocre shite we might just have landed someone who could have done a job both then and now. I'm sure we all thought Kewell would do a better job but apart from him we haven't even remotely signed anyone who has given me a hint of hope. We haven't always been skint, we should really have spent more wisely than on a whim. It's all a guessing game of course... will said player fit in with the team, Country league etc. But i feel short changed by both scouts and managers alike down the years. As far as i can remember back most great teams have had great wingers.

£5M a few years ago would have got us Ronaldo before the Mancs Johnny. I'm fairly sure there are other examples of players we could have signed in the wide positions who were relatively inexpensive but effective. Fact is our last two managers have decided not to buy natural wide players, or when they have, bought duds.

We were outbid on Ronaldo weren't we? Houllier wanted him, but the Mancs more then tripled our bid to £12.7m for an unknown quantity who'd only ever player 31 professional games, and who was then useless for a three seasons before clicking.

Would any Liverpool player get 2 or 3 seasons of been average after us paying over £12m for him before the fans turned on him?