You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe - now best in the world?

WaltonRed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He has been the best keeper in the world for the last three seasons, in my opinion. You don't win three out of four golden gloves without being pretttttty good.

He is top keeper, definitely in the Top 10, maybe even Top 5 but certainly not the best. For us as LFC fans he probably is, but also mancs think that VDS is the best, Barca fans cheer Valdes as the best etc.

I think football fans around the world won´t put Pepe even in their top 3. We must admit, that we are a little bit biased. Casillas and Buffon are definitely better.

He's defo top 5, to say top 10 is interesting though.

I'd like to see your full list.

As for Utd with VDS and Valdes at Barca, both sets of fans and probably the managers would swap you today.

I'd say he's better than Buffon, shot stopping they might be quite equal but distribution and quickness of line i'd say he wins.

I don't rate Buffon nearly as highly as the rest of the world appears to.

in fairness I might just have not seen enough of him, but in the 20-30 games i've probably seen him he hasn't struck me as the best in the world.

I'd have Pepe at number 1 - he's more consistent than Casillas, who was pretty woeful for most of last year and large parts of this year.

Cech doesn't even make the top 5, possibly even top 10 these days.

Guest Pistonbroke
I don't rate Buffon nearly as highly as the rest of the world appears to.

in fairness I might just have not seen enough of him, but in the 20-30 games i've probably seen him he hasn't struck me as the best in the world.

I'd have Pepe at number 1 - he's more consistent than Casillas, who was pretty woeful for most of last year and large parts of this year.

Cech doesn't even make the top 5, possibly even top 10 these days.

I agree with that. I'd say behind Pepe Brad Friedel is probably the most consistent keeper in the Prem.

Definitely the best in the world. I believe he's not 1st choice for Spain because Casillas plays for Real. Casillas is a superb keeper, but Pepe for me just edges him.

Agree with that. Casillas was very average last season, but will always be the spanish no1 because he plays for madrid. I wouldn't swap reina for anyone in the world. The guy has it all and is easily classified as a world class goalkeeper.

He is the best for the next 40 days until Buffon gets back from injury...

Buffon is simply the best...if you consider he has been there since when he was 17...you can't really compare him to Reina.

Reina is a great keeper of course but Buffon is a LEGEND.

Guest Pistonbroke

Buffon is simply the best...if you consider he has been there since when he was 17...you can't really compare him to Reina.

The discussion is about who is the best keeper now and not about legends and what they have achieved.

I love Pepe. But usually among the top 5 'keepers in the world there's very little space among them for any one of them to really be superior to the rest. I'd be happy with a number of 'keepers, but am ecstatic Pepe is here b/c he's completely crazy. I like my 'keeper to have a personality, for no real reason I can think of...

...said the Juventus fan.

haha

He is top keeper, definitely in the Top 10, maybe even Top 5 but certainly not the best. For us as LFC fans he probably is, but also mancs think that VDS is the best, Barca fans cheer Valdes as the best etc.

I think football fans around the world won´t put Pepe even in their top 3. We must admit, that we are a little bit biased. Casillas and Buffon are definitely better.

I disagree. Quite a lot of opposition fans I talk to now admit that he probably is the best in the world. That's Man Utd fans as well.

Buffon is way past his best and is error prone and I think the only things keeping Casillas in the Spain side is that he is the captain and he plays in the country.

I doubt even the most biased Barca fan in the world would suggest Valdes is the best in the world though. I wouldn't even have him top 20.

Pepe is definitely in the top three. Personally for his all round game, including shot stopping, command of his area and distribution, I would put him at the top. I don't think Buffon or Casillas are as quick off their line or distribute the ball nearly as well as Pepe. Casillas probably has the edge as a shot stopper, and Buffon is certainly a better "general" in the box however.

Guest PurpleNose

Cech has been shite since he's had to wear the mong hat.

Buffon, Casillas, Pepe and Cesar are the best four in the world. Fuck knows in what order. Wouldn't swap Pepe for any of the other three though, his distribution, which with Alonso leaving, probably makes him the best deep lying playmaker in England, is perfectly suited to the Premier League. He must have had about 6 or 7 direct assists in the last couple of seasons.

Got a long way to go to match the achievements of Buffon but he's definately got the character to do so. He cares, a lot.

And he's fucking cool.

I disagree. Quite a lot of opposition fans I talk to now admit that he probably is the best in the world. That's Man Utd fans as well.

Buffon is way past his best and is error prone and I think the only things keeping Casillas in the Spain side is that he is the captain and he plays in the country.

I doubt even the most biased Barca fan in the world would suggest Valdes is the best in the world though. I wouldn't even have him top 20.

Yeah, Valdes is a really average goalkeeper. If they hadn't just signed him up to a megabucks long terms contract, I'd be seriously worried about them poaching Pepe.