You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

positives:

Works hard. Always gives 100% which you can't fault.

Scores goals - always seem to be rebounds mind you.

Defends well when needed.

negatives:

Can't control the ball.

Can't beat players.

No pace.

Has a head like a bag of spanners.

He's not the classic footballer we'd all want on the right wing but he's all we have and since we couldn't buy an onion at the minute, we should support the lad fully.

He has been our worst player for most games this season. Insua is playing poorly and should be dropped. Gerrard is still some way from being injury free, and it's obviously hampering his play. Torres and Aquiliani not fit either. Mascherano has upped his game from the dismal level we saw in the first third of the season, as has Carragher. Agger's just back, so he and Carragher will improve as they get more time together.

There is no excuse for Kuyt. He's playing at his normal level, and when there isn't enough being delivered by the rest of the team to carry him, then it's a sorry state of affairs. My question has always been around why we should need to carry the player season after season in the first place? Benitez's fault, not Kuyt's.

Guest Pistonbroke
Well the sad thing is that at the moment, he's not our worst player!

As one of the more senior players in the squad and the amount we paid for him i'd say he needs to improve. Plus he gets an awful lot of playing time. But you are right, we have players performing at a lower level.

Kuyt should not even be close to our first 11.....

Decent forward in a 4-4-2 system, useless on the right in our system.....

I don't rate Babel highly, but he sure as hell would give us something that Kuyt don't if playing on the right... (He is pretty much useless on the left as he only cuts inside).

To be honest I'd rather see us playing Gerrard on the right, Aquillani in for Lucas in the middle and Pancheco behind Torres, rather then watching the team struggle to carry Kuyt through the games week in week out.... (Lucas will have to go because he is to similar to the superior Mascherano and does not have enough attacking abilities....)

He probably just needs a rest.

Does anyone else think that if Babel was given the same amount of starts on that right hand side of the 'front 4', he would do better than Kuyt?

Off course he would, he would not feel he had to do some magic every minute he was on the pitch and if he relaxed a bit I think there are several things that could go right for Ryan Babel.

But he looks like a nerve wreck every time he enters the pitch to me, really bad man management in his case because no matter how he has performed its not been good enough to stay in the team.

Before we signed Riera, Babel had a run in the team in the last stage of the season, but after the summer he was the one who had to break into the team and not Riera.

His confidence have been shot to pieces, no doubt in my mind and an attacking player without confidence is as useful as a prostitute without a pussy.

Guest juanmanual
Kuyt is a terrible player. He certainly shouldn't be anywhere near a Liverpool first team. One of Benitez's biggest failings right there. He kills so much of our play in every game, and turns possession into panic defending. He scores the odd goal and scampers about (stupidly) a bit, but that in no way compensates for the damage his shortcomings have on the rest of the game. Poor.

^^^^^^^^^

Is so fucking true its scary.

The fact Rafa cant see it is even scarier..............what must SG be thinking about Dirk i wonder????????

Kuyt should not even be close to our first 11.....

Decent forward in a 4-4-2 system, useless on the right in our system.....

I don't rate Babel highly, but he sure as hell would give us something that Kuyt don't if playing on the right... (He is pretty much useless on the left as he only cuts inside).

To be honest I'd rather see us playing Gerrard on the right, Aquillani in for Lucas in the middle and Pancheco behind Torres, rather then watching the team struggle to carry Kuyt through the games week in week out.... (Lucas will have to go because he is to similar to the superior Mascherano and does not have enough attacking abilities....)

Agree with that.

Off course he would, he would not feel he had to do some magic every minute he was on the pitch and if he relaxed a bit I think there are several things that could go right for Ryan Babel.

If Ryan Babel relaxed any more on the pitch he'd be fuckin lying down!

I know this is a painfully obvious point, but when we play well, he's shortcomings aren't anywhere near as glaring. But when we are shit, he is especially shit, and his shitness makes others around him look even more shit. Good balls bouncing off him, balls he can't reach because he has the acceleration of a milk float.

Rafa really is taking the piss when he picks him every fucking game, and hasn't really looked to replace him in the side.

I still like Dirk, and a lot of the frustration towards him is probably more to do with Rafa than the lad himself. And he's still someone you'd want in the squad imo. But Christ, he'd not be a starter in any top side in Europe. And i think that goes to the root of the problem with Rafa, graft comes first, always. Which isn't a bad thing, graft is all important, but not at the expense of the team.

Kuyt started the season well, but he's been shit for a while. At least the last couple of games he's been shit and scored!

Still, what can we do? Torres has been injured, Benayoun's been injured, N'Gog isn't great, Babel's been shit and injured, Riera's been injured and shit. Even if Rafa had wanted to drop Kuyt (big If) he hasn't really been able to.

You can all suck my balls. According to the Actim Index, Dirk Kuyt is the fifth best striker in the Premier League this season behind Drogba, Defoe, Agbonlahor, and Anelka.

That's the ridiculous sort of analysis which keeps him in the team. The guy is simply not good enough, being able to trap a ball should be a basic requirement of a winger/striker. The amount of attacks that break down because of him are numerous, he can never get a ball passed to him unless it is easy, anything which requires a bit of ability, which you would expect a footballer to have goes untrapped. If we had a semi decent winger playing there we would have so much more being supplied into the box from that side - Rafa can persist with essentially 3 defensive players in midfield - it will see him out of a job at the end of the day.