You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie 'Long Ball' Carragher

Guest juanmanual

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was any movement in the midfield our defenders could pass to them- which they did in the first half. Second half Carra almost got robbed holding on to the ball looking for someone to move for him.

It is a clear tactic teams are using this year chasing with 2-3 players against our backline and forcing them to rush, and it is working as no one in centre of the park can pick up the ball and link.

Carra hoofs the ball throughout his carrer so don´t expect old dog to change his habbits.

He probably realized that his hoof has the same effect as his pass to Leiva or Masch so he plays it on his own.

What worries me is the fact, that Agger is now playing for 2 months and I didn´t see eny of his ball playing skills. He did not makes his runs forward, he´s not shooting and he is hoofing most of the time. Even Carra tryies to bring the ball out more often than Danny.

Yeah, give it to Lucas instead. That'll solve everything.

*hooof!*

*sideways pass*

It's gonna be a long week. I'll only be around here much if I'm sometype of masochist.

What worries me is the fact, that Agger is now playing for 2 months and I didn´t see eny of his ball playing skills. He did not makes his runs forward, he´s not shooting and he is hoofing most of the time. Even Carra tryies to bring the ball out more often than Danny.

Well Agger can definitely play along the ground, so maybe it's a case of either a) Rafa is asking them to knock it up towards Torres more, or b) they don't have much confidence in the midfield. (and in Aggers case he probably won't run upfield in the later stages when he's probably fucked anyway.)

Even Carra tryies to bring the ball out more often than Danny.

No he doesn't - never.

Carra hoofs first, looks for a pass 2nd. So basically he hoofs. Jamie "backpass" Carragher. That's always been his approach. But when there's no one in midfield willing to take it off him what else is he to do?

Anyhow I wouldn't want to change him cos he's a fuckin legend and has served us brilliantly over the years.

I think some our support want to question our captain's sulking at not getting the penalty and not performing as a captain.

Where was the driving of the team from the captain yesterday?, Carra was doing it so why couldn't Gerrard. Yesterday Carra was defending, which is his job, his job is not to go on silky runs or play 40 yard passes to feet, first and foremost it is to defend.

His job is to defend, and if that means he has to 'hoof' it then so be it. At least he doesn't shirk his job.

I'm getting sick of some people jumping on Carra for not performing or just hoofing, but people need to look at our 'leader' and his performances (when he has played) as a captain.

I'll be honest Gerrard is a great player but he is pissing me off as a captain big time. There was no pushing of the team, no backing up of players (not just yesterday but for a few seasons now) on the pitch. Every player bar Pepe needs to look at their performances this season and ask themselves have they justified the wearing of the shirt.

That first half yesterday was the best we've played all season and I was filled with confidence we would get 3 points. It's not just about Rafa and the mistakes he has made it's about everyone.

Does anyone else think that the reason we are playing more long balls this season, is that the defence, and Carragher inparticular, have no confidence in either Lucas or Mascherano? Last season, they simply passed it Alonso as they had confidence in him to make the right pass. Too many times yesterday, Lucas was free to accept a pass from the back four and they simply ignored him. The whole team needs to sit down and sort this out before we start to slide further down the league.

I'd rather he hoofs it than pass it to someone like Lucas who cannot attack, cannot defend, cannot pass, cannot create chance and cannot score (unless it's a peach own goal like the one which cost us the match at home to Villa).

I cannot believe how sudden our fall from grace has happened. From being one of the quickest passers of the ball we're suddenly reduced to a team of hoofers.

It's not only the hoofing that bothered me, it's the fact that they took ages passing the ball sideways and backwards as if we were six nil up, only too hoof the ball when we've finally realised there are no viable options available. Grow some fucking balls you pancies.

Does anyone else think that the reason we are playing more long balls this season, is that the defence, and Carragher inparticular, have no confidence in either Lucas or Mascherano? Last season, they simply passed it Alonso as they had confidence in him to make the right pass. Too many times yesterday, Lucas was free to accept a pass from the back four and they simply ignored him. The whole team needs to sit down and sort this out before we start to slide further down the league.

Carragher is pretty generous in his assessment of his ability to pass the ball but I'm sure even he can see that Lucas and Mascherano are far superior passers of the ball.

Sometimes though, it's good to bypass midfield, to go a little more direct, mixing it up is one of the keys to surprising your opponents and unsettling them. You can blame him for being a poor passer, but I don't think you can blame him for making a decision to vary the attack or having the balls to take responsibility for attempting a pass that most players know is going to fail.