You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Morse

Reina - nothing to do but pick the ball out of the net twice. He was wrong footed for the own goal, and no-one would have got to Arshavin's shot because it was so well placed. Other that a wayward goal kick in the last few minutes, Reina was solid.

Johnson - attacked well down the right in the first half, especially when he was played in by Kuyt. Any little contact by Denilson and he would have won a penalty. After his unfortunate own goal, his head dropped noticeably, so it wasn't a surprise when he got subbed.

Agger - contained Arsenal's attack well, and couldn't do anything to prevent the goals. Only disappointment was not getting into a position where he could have a long-range pop at goal.

Aurelio - set piece delivery was a little hit and miss, and he could have done better to help close Nasri down in the lead up to the first goal. Did well to nullify the threat of Walcott despite his lack of pace.

Carragher - his diving in to try and cut out crosses is too often resulting in a goal being conceded. I can't knock him too much as he has gotten the defence out of jail this way so often in the past. He tended to bypass the midfield a lot and I'm not sure if it's because on a subconscious level he doesn't trust certain players with the ball.

Gerrard - tried hard but just didn't have his game on today. He only seems to close down players in areas where there is little threat, and is developing a habit of playing for free-kicks. When they don't get given, he's doing a Ronaldo/Keane instead of tracking back. Unlucky with the penalty shout, although he did appear to have lost the ball already. Stevie lad, when taking corners from the right (outswingers), don't place the ball on the goalline in the quadrant, as there is a strong possibility you'll curl the ball out of play.

Benayoun - as ineffective as I've ever seen him in a red shirt. He just didn't look up for it today. He was the one player on our side who had an utter stinker today.

Mascherano - getting back to his best. Excellent hassling of Arsenal's midfield, and kept things simple when in possession. Also, didn't try his ambitious 30-yarder, for which those fans at the back of the stands are grateful! My man-of-the-match.

Lucas - very tidy in possession and tried to keep our game flowing. When it's not happened in front of him, it makes him seem ineffective, but he's maybe TOO disciplined to try and take the game by the scruff of the neck. He has benefitted from a regular run in the team, despite the results.

Torres - was certainly up for it and didn't appear to be showing any ill effects from his injury, judgements by how much he was throwing himself about. Should have done better when presented with an excellent chance early on but shot weakly at the keeper. In the second half he couldn't get into the game because we did little of note as a team, but he kept Arsenal's defence occupied throughout.

Kuyt - excellent in the first half and capped it with a goal. As I've pointed out before, his ball control is much tighter when up against the stronger teams. Struggled with the team's second-half approach, and should have done better when he got the ball on the right, when he had more time to control it and pick out a pass. Instead he panicked, got flat-footed and ended up stretching to control and cross it.

Aquilani (on for Mascherano) - eager to make an impact, but could do little with the poor movement ahead of him. Should perhaps be handed his first start against Wigan, alongside either Lucas or Mascherano, to provide a little more creativity from midfield.

Degen (on for Johnson) - understandable substitution after what happened with Johnson, and did well to try and get forward. One overhit cross after getting into a promising position.

Ngog (on for Benayoun) - not enough time to make an impact, and seemed to get in the way more than anything.

Wasn't his point that "well" is relative and perhaps we need a little more in the center of the park?

I am not saying I disagree with that.

He had a good game by his standards.

I'm not blaming Lucas btw. It's not his fault he's not good enough.

Most of the time he's not, if he played like today every game though then he'd be a damn sight closer.

I am not saying I disagree with that.

Most of the time he's not, if he played like today every game though then he'd be a damn sight closer.

IMO Lucas (and now Aqui) have been put into a lose/lose by the gaff.

Lucas has earned his spot by doing what Rafa wants from that position , which is not what I would like. Aqui can't win atm. He ain't Alonso and he ain't Gerrard so now what?