You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Building a stronger immune system?

Elite

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Don’t mess with the microbiome man. Some bacteria just don’t dig butt plugs or deck chairs.

Exactly. They get rubber friction from the butt plugs which causes a chemical reaction, turning them into mini Mongol Soldiers which then go around the insides chopping everything apart.

You're a fucking sicko with your deck chair remark though.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Studying the gastrointestinal microbiome is my job (albeit in animals mainly not humans) and it's fucking boss. Without our little microbe friends all animal life on this planet wouldn't be able to survive.

Is it generally just eating the right foods, and not sticking things into your arse?

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is it generally just eating the right foods, and not sticking things into your arse?

Pretty much, lots of plant fibre (that we can't digest ourselves) means plenty of nutrients for the commensal microbiome ("good" bacteria) These bacteria protect from pathogens and also produce short chain fatty acids, which amongst other things provide the main energy source for colonic epithelial cells and also protect from colon cancer.

Probiotic yoghurts etc, imo, are a complete waste of time and money. A triumph of marketing over science.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

Seemingly I've gotten the arse thing backwards. So, exit only and not entry. It will save me money on poppers.

Thanks @Jenson

Actually, faecal transplants are quite the hot topic at the moment, especially in treatment of Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis and also chronic C.difficile infections.

Don't throw away the poppers just yet.

6 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Actually, faecal transplants are quite the hot topic at the moment, especially in treatment of Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis and also chronic C.difficile infections.

See @Numero Veinticinco what did I tell you?

Just get a boyfriend with IBS and you can kill two birds with one stone...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I actually suffer from UC (I also have Barrett's oesophagus) and diet is the only thing that keeps me stable. I couldn't image a faecal transplant. WTF does that entail?

EDIT: I just had a quick read up on it and I knew it from a different term - HPI. Something that was mentioned to me as something "for the future".

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

Pretty much, lots of plant fibre (that we can't digest ourselves) means plenty of nutrients for the commensal microbiome ("good" bacteria) These bacteria protect from pathogens and also produce short chain fatty acids, which amongst other things provide the main energy source for colonic epithelial cells and also protect from colon cancer.

Probiotic yoghurts etc, imo, are a complete waste of time and money. A triumph of marketing over science.

Interesting. What’s a proper alternative to probiotic yoghurts, Jenson?