Sign in to follow this  
The Woolster

Defending corners

Only saw the highlights from last nights match, but noticed Insua I think it was on the back post defending a couple of corners. Did this also happen Vs Blackburn?

Has Rafa changed things or is it just because Insua is a short arse so not worth having him mark someone?

Yeah, noticed that myself with Insua on the goal-line. However, he was probably caught outa position , as he was most of the game.The lad needs a rest, big time.

If we are gonna use all 11 players to defend corners, then why not stick players on the posts.Surely it cant make matters any worse IMO

Whether you have a man on the post or not is usually the goalkeeper's call. Our marking scheme is tweaked for pretty much every game, so this wasn't a great surprise.

Who said it would it be a Keeper's call?

Dunno about anyone else, but I haven't noticed anyone defending on a goal post for a while, so wondered if Rafa is trying to address the goals scored from set pieces problems that we've had.

Personally I think it is good for one or 2 on the goal line for inswingers, but out swingers you can see how it is meant to work with that goal that was dissalowed against Everton, everyone stepped up, leaving the attacker in front of the keeper and interfering with play whether they get a touch or not.

Who said it would it be a Keeper's call?

Coaches and managers.

Dunno about anyone else, but I haven't noticed anyone defending on a goal post for a while, so wondered if Rafa is trying to address the goals scored from set pieces problems that we've had.

Aurelio used to be on the post quite a lot of the time last year.

Personally I think it is good for one or 2 on the goal line for inswingers, but out swingers you can see how it is meant to work with that goal that was dissalowed against Everton, everyone stepped up, leaving the attacker in front of the keeper and interfering with play whether they get a touch or not.

The free man we were using has the option to drop back onto the line should the situation make that desirable like Kelly did against Lyon.