You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ice hotel

neko

was watching a show last night on the construction of the ice hotel in the far north of sweden....excuse the pun, but it looks very cool.

ICEHOTEL #20 › World's largest hotel made of ice and snow

Hôtel de Glace

i know there are a few of them around the world (sweden, alaska, quebec city...) so they are obviously popular. i'm fascinated by the structures myself, but i have some serious logistical questions to ask before i'd consider staying there.

for starters, how on earth do you stay warm all night sleeping on a bed of ice ? you'd have to remain fully clothed for the arctic all day....sex would be out of the question if you had to disrobe at all.

need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night ? or at any time for that matter ? or take a shower ? the bathrooms are made of blocks of ice !

the bar looks amazing, but all they seem to serve is ice vodka - try and order a warm coffee drink and you'd melt the table, and the glass.

any thoughts ? anyone stayed there ?

i like the stark cold beauty of winter at times, but you'd probably have to pay me to stay there.

ice-hotel.jpg

We have always planned to go. There is an ice bar in Stockholm which is a good laugh, but extortionate. I know people who have stayed there who said it is amazing, but cold. Surprising really.

i noticed the 'ice bar' links from the hotel...

ABSOLUT ICEBAR

surely you just show them your alliance of funny swedish comedians membership card and you get complimentary drinks ?

i noticed the 'ice bar' links from the hotel...

ABSOLUT ICEBAR

surely you just show them your alliance of funny swedish comedians membership card and you get complimentary drinks ?

Not yet...

I did get my mate in there free and a ridiculous room upgrade at the hotel it is part of when he went to stay the night there by phoning the manager in advance and telling them he was a journalist writing a piece for The Guardian.

We have always planned to go. There is an ice bar in Stockholm which is a good laugh, but extortionate. I know people who have stayed there who said it is amazing, but cold. Surprising really.

I worked in Stockholm a few years ago and we went to that. Cant remember if it was The Nordic Sea or Nordic Lights hotel were it is. They gave us parkas and furry boots and served Absolut in ice glasses. Was pretty good but half an hour was about as much as we managed, then we went to the Tam O'Shanter afterwards as I recall and watched Celtic, then on the way back laughed uproariously at a shop called Rolfs Kok, which is always a grin after a few pints. Kitchen appliances it sold I think, not pictures of Rolf Harris cock.

I worked in Stockholm a few years ago and we went to that. Cant remember if it was The Nordic Sea or Nordic Lights hotel were it is. They gave us parkas and furry boots and served Absolut in ice glasses. Was pretty good but half an hour was about as much as we managed, then we went to the Tam O'Shanter afterwards as I recall and watched Celtic, then on the way back laughed uproariously at a shop called Rolfs Kok, which is always a grin after a few pints. Kitchen appliances it sold I think, not pictures of Rolf Harris cock.

It is the Nordic Sea I think. You can't beat the word kök for hilarity.

• 2 months later...

Went to the Absolut Ice Bar in London yesterday. Not the same thing but just thought I'd mention it. £12.50 for 40 minutes with 1 drink included, followed by £6 a shot thereafter. Pretty pricey cough medicine if you ask me.

for starters, how on earth do you stay warm all night sleeping on a bed of ice ? you'd have to remain fully clothed for the arctic all day....sex would be out of the question if you had to disrobe at all.

The beds I've seen have had insulation and then reindeer fells on top. Reindeer feels are extremely insulating, it's what I use when sleeping outside in a tent in -20 Celsius.

The temperature inside an ice hotel is never really that low, much warmer than sleeping in a tent when it's cold. Much like a snow cave in that respect, which it basically is when you strip away the size and the bling.

Went to the Absolut Ice Bar in London yesterday. Not the same thing but just thought I'd mention it. £12.50 for 40 minutes with 1 drink included, followed by £6 a shot thereafter. Pretty pricey cough medicine if you ask me.

Probably cheaper, more enjoyable and better tasting then all the cough medicines i've been trying over the last 2 weeks.

Probably cheaper, more enjoyable and better tasting then all the cough medicines i've been trying over the last 2 weeks.

Certainly far better than my sadly-deceased grandma's recipe of warm milk with turmeric powder in it.