Quantcast
Rafa's brazillians - Page 4 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tom R

Rafa's brazillians

Just to jump in.

Cavalieri, at £3.5m, for me is good business as he seems decent and if someone comes in on Reina late and breaks his arm, then we need good quality to come in for teh few months while Reina recovers.

However, Cavalieri should be playing reserves football so he is "match fit" so to speak and ready to step in. The problem is, Cavaleiri may need 5 or 6 games to get up to speed having not played for so loing, and that could be 5 or 6 games of mistakes until he finds his game feet.

To summarise - Cavaleiri is good business at £3.5m for good quality support to Reina. But he needs to be playing reserves footie while Reina is fit.

It is not even about match fitness for a goalie, Johnny. I'm sure he can manage 90 mins tonight for example.

However, as you say, if he doesn't have the required sharpness needed for a goalie and if he makes mistakes in the first 5 or 6 games, imagine what it must do to his confidence. A goalkeeper mistake is not the same as a striker missing a one-on-one - a goalie mistake will shatter his confidence to pieces. If he plays in the reserves once in a while, at least he can have some sort of sharpness.

I'm not even sure if he is any good and fit to replace Reina if needed, as he hardly plays!

I also don't understand why Babel, Voronin, Degen etc don't play any reserve games. They come in, play 1 or 2 games, be shit and then don't play any games for a month or so. I don't know why they can't play in the reserves to get some confidence and sharpness back.

It is not even about match fitness for a goalie, Johnny. I'm sure he can manage 90 mins tonight for example.

However, as you say, if he doesn't have the required sharpness needed for a goalie and if he makes mistakes in the first 5 or 6 games, imagine what it must do to his confidence. A goalkeeper mistake is not the same as a striker missing a one-on-one - a goalie mistake will shatter his confidence to pieces. If he plays in the reserves once in a while, at least he can have some sort of sharpness.

I'm not even sure if he is any good and fit to replace Reina if needed, as he hardly plays!

I also don't understand why Babel, Voronin, Degen etc don't play any reserve games. They come in, play 1 or 2 games, be shit and then don't play any games for a month or so. I don't know why they can't play in the reserves to get some confidence and sharpness back.

Yep. That's what I meant by "match fitness" when I put it in inverted commas. Sure I'm fit enough to play 90 mins of Premiership football between the sticks. We'd lose though. Badly.

The few times I've seen him (I think he's played 6 pr 7 times) I've thought he looked good. But I'd be very nervous of him coming into an important league game having not had any match practise for months.

He should be playing reserve football.

So you would play him ahead of another keeper who is better than him just because he had cost more money?

Great manouver there.

Just when they think they had you cornered and pinned down you spring back up again like an annoying blade of grass arguing with trees over the wind. Got to rep it for persistance alone.

It seems that playing squad players in the reserves is old school these days. Whenever I watch reserves games it almost always the players being developed or on occasion players getting match fitness.

I can only assume the people who have been doing this stuff all their life have made a judgment that the value of playing against a gang of 18 year olds every three weeks is minimal over and above the preparation done during the week is therefore not worth taking the development opportunity from youngsters.

As with most things it's a question of balancing the short-term, long-term and the percentages.

It's not just the back up keeper that should play for the reserves.

Babel for example should be playing games for them, rather than sitting on our bench the whole time.

There's a theme here: Rafa didn't like the fact that Parry controlled the academy so he just pretended it didn't exist, despite the fact that it cost us potential players and actual transfer fees and wages. Similarly he doesn't like the reserve system, so he lets players go weeks and weeks without any competitive football and expects them to be able to cope when they are finally called upon for the first team. How anyone can see training as being more indicative of a player's ability to cope in a competitive match than competitive football is beyond me. As my dad would say, he cuts his nose off to spite his face sometimes.

Oh, and I agree with Hermes - paying £3.5m for an average keeper to just vegetate is bizarre in any circumstances, but in ours, it's self-defeating. Get an 37-40 year old on a free and peanuts in wages and also develop your young keepers more effectively (we've got about twenty seven million of them on the books after all).

There's a theme here: Rafa didn't like the fact that Parry controlled the academy so he just pretended it didn't exist, despite the fact that it cost us potential players and actual transfer fees and wages. Similarly he doesn't like the reserve system, so he lets players go weeks and weeks without any competitive football and expects them to be able to cope when they are finally called upon for the first team. How anyone can see training as being more indicative of a player's ability to cope in a competitive match than competitive football is beyond me. As my dad would say, he cuts his nose off to spite his face sometimes.

Oh, and I agree with Hermes - paying £3.5m for an average keeper to just vegetate is bizarre in any circumstances, but in ours, it's self-defeating. Get an 37-40 year old on a free and peanuts in wages and also develop your young keepers more effectively (we've got about twenty seven million of them on the books after all).

Dudek is available on a free apparently?

On the reserve keeper issue.

1. Diego Cavalieri, Keeper

25. José Reina, Keeper

30. Charles Itandje, Keeper

41. Martin Hansen, Keeper

42. Péter Gulácsi, Keeper

43. Dean Bouzanis, Keeper

44. David Martin, Keeper

Enough said.

On the reserve keeper issue.

1. Diego Cavalieri, Keeper

25. José Reina, Keeper

30. Charles Itandje, Keeper

41. Martin Hansen, Keeper

42. Péter Gulácsi, Keeper

43. Dean Bouzanis, Keeper

44. David Martin, Keeper

Enough said.

We could nearly have a full starting 11 of just keepers! Yippee!

I guess it is not TomR's point, but the Brazillian's are offering good value for money!

Lucas at 5 million is good business- young, good enough for the squad and would fetch more if we sold him. Aurelio on a free is a good deal. Cavalieri at 3.5mill also a good deal as looks decent and could probably break even selling him.