You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First car advice

Karl_b

Brethren, at the age of 24 I've finally gotten my arse in to gear (pun intended) and learnt to drive. All seems to be going well and I'm aiming to do my test round Easter time and I'll be looking to pick up my first car soon after.

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about cars, insurance or any of that jazz. I don't want to spend a massive amount (I'm thinking less than £1.5k) but I need something that is fairly presentable as I'll have to go out to site, etc and we can't have me looking silly now. I'll be 25 next July so I believe this may cut my insurance even though I'll be a new driver and I'll do the pass plus if it's likely to save me a few quid. I've had Corsas (no chance), Polos (perhaps) and Clios (never going to happen as I'll have 'Nam like flashbacks of an ex) suggested so far but I really have no idea what's for the best.

So, GF, what should I be looking at buying?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Buy a brand new one...free insurance,years tax etc

Use the 1.5k as a deposit.....and spread the rest.

£1.5k on a motor a money pit IMO.....had a mountain bike that cost that..

I bought a 51 Mitsubishi Carisma 1.9 for 1,250 a couple of months back, it's built like a tank, no trace of rust anywhere underneath it.

You've got to love the personal pride involved with Japanese construction, everytime a window-wiper falls off some engineer somewhere kills himself and his entire family.

There's only one piece of advice that counts when it comes to cars in my experience mate.

Buy Japanese.

This

Honda, Toyota , summat of that ilk.

Ultra reliable - which should be your main consideration with your first car. I completely ignored this and consequently lost tons of money on shit, but aesthetically interesting, bangers.

Honda Accord - pick up a very good 1.8 manual easily with your budget. Older or high mileage 2.0 litre for the same budget.

Electric windows, ABS and air conditioning (combined with heating stops yer windows fogging up on rainy days), decent fuel economy. Nothing ever goes wrong with them, so your maintenance costs will be low.

Prolly get about a V, W or X reg with reasonable milage for £1500 - Depends on condition. For £1500 you can't go wrong.

Alternative might be a Toyota Avensis, but they tend feel worn out and saggy in that price range.

Smaller car, look at Toyota Corolla - very reliable. Comes with reliable electrics and will polly have air con as well.

And you don't want to be turning up to client site in a Micra.

Problem with small cars, is that they can be tiring to drive - engine is normally puny and therefore noisy when on the motorway. Also tend to have less noiseproofing, which contributes to tiredness if you're travelling to client sites.

I've used my Accord (on my 6th one) for regularly travelling to clients 4-5 hours away and always feel reasonably fresh when arriving on site. My record was 5 1/2 hours to Hastings on the south coast and 7 1/2 hours to Newcastle when we had really heavy rain a couple of years back when the M1 was closed near Sheffield.

Edited by CaptainK

Nissan Micra

For the love of God no! For your budget, consider something like a Toyota Yaris if you want Japanese, otherwise a Ford Ka or Fiesta would be a good choice (as long as you don't mind driving around in a wanky looking Ka). Don't bother with French makes like Peugeot, Renault or Citroen as for the money you will likely end up with a money pit (albeit one that has comfy seats). Also, don't bother looking at Fiats for that money since you'll be in a world of pain and will become over-familiar with public transport.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

My daughter passed earlier this year and got herself a V reg Peugeot 206 with 57k miles for exactly £1500 ( we were given the privilege of paying ).

Looks sporty and has cd etc.but only 1100 engine & low insurance group & no problems so far.

A few people in the same boat have all found that Tescos are best for insurance. She paid £1700 for 3rd part fire and theft ( she is 18 so you should be cheaper ). As somebody said before you can keep the cost down by adding a more mature driver or going on their policy , but you aren't building up any no-claims for yourself.

My daughter passed earlier this year and got herself a V reg Peugeot 206 with 57k miles for exactly £1500 ( we were given the privilege of paying ).

Looks sporty and has cd etc.but only 1100 engine & low insurance group & no problems so far.

A few people in the same boat have all found that Tescos are best for insurance. She paid £1700 for 3rd part fire and theft ( she is 18 so you should be cheaper ). As somebody said before you can keep the cost down by adding a more mature driver or going on their policy , but you aren't building up any no-claims for yourself.

i'm a named driver on a direct line policy, partly because i couldn't get finance in my name and partly because it made it all cheaper......

every time we phone them up my insurance comes down too, today its gone from 150 a month to 100!

I'd get a new one if possible, my first car is still costing me in repairs. Get a small engine too too or you'll be paying over £200 a year tax.

I couldn't disagree more. You lose money from the word go. You lose karls budget in the first 6 months. I would never ever ever buy a new car. Ever.

Focus is a good shout to be fair. probably the best to drive for any front wheel drive equivelent motor, and they are reliable as well.

As for insurance, there are one or two insurers out there that offer no claims bonus to named drivers on policies. I believe More Than might be one, but I'm not certain.

I'm pretty sure googling "no claims bonus for named drivers" will net something...