You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Aquilani Close to First Team Debut!

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article.

To be fair though, "Claudio Aquilani's diagnosis could be dismissed as biased but for his employment as a paramedic at Roma, his son's former club."

Which actually makes him more biased given the way (somewhat stupidly) our club publically criticised Roma's medical staff.

Another gobby relative, great.

Hopefully this is the truth...

A source close to Aquilani, however, says the Italian has no personal problem with the Liverpool manager and that his frustrations are purely professional. "Alberto understands perfectly why the manager does not want to risk him, that if he plays too early he may be out for much longer," said the source. "He's desperate to play, naturally, but he knows he must be careful. His relationship with all of the staff at Liverpool, including Benítez, is excellent."

Yeah, damning that. Especially this bit

A source close to Aquilani, however, says the Italian has no personal problem with the Liverpool manager and that his frustrations are purely professional. "Alberto understands perfectly why the manager does not want to risk him, that if he plays too early he may be out for much longer," said the source. "He's desperate to play, naturally, but he knows he must be careful. His relationship with all of the staff at Liverpool, including Benítez, is excellent."

If Alberto really understands why Rafa didn't bring him on instead of Lucas or Mascherano against Blackburn, he is either totally bereft of confidence in own ability or brainwashed.

Lucas and Mascherano are more creative than me.

I'll just read the bits below and ignore the latest gossip shite.

Claudio Aquilani has also denied the former Roma midfielder has had trouble adapting to the move to Liverpool. He added: "He is really happy in Liverpool, he has settled in really well. He's getting to grips with the language, which was a problem at first, and he is always surrounded by friends, family and his fiance. He likes the city a lot, the culture, the football and the atmosphere at the stadiums. He has been really impressed by the bond the crowd have with the players."

I see it like this, If Aqualani can give 15 mins against Arsenal at the end of October, then I am very surprised he has not given more in any games whilst he has been on the bench.

I am fully behind making sure the lad is not rushed back etc etc, but whilst I see him sitting on the bench then I feel he could contribute at least another 15 mins to change some of the games we have had.

Jan Molby and Les Lawson were making this point after the match on Saturday.

Again if Aqualani plays tomorrow and gives us an hour plus in a meanigless game, I am no doctor, but I'm pretty sure he could have given us 15/20 mins against Blackburn to try and change the game.

If Rafa feels he could not change the game more than El Zhar fine, no problem with that its his decision.

Agree with everything. And Rafa didn't even have to choose between his beloved Nabil and Alberto, as he could've just taken off Lucas or Masch for Aquilani with 15 minutes to go.

Of course he is fit enough for that.

Agree with everything. And Rafa didn't even have to choose between his beloved Nabil and Alberto, as he could've just taken off Lucas or Masch for Aquilani with 15 minutes to go.

Of course he is fit enough for that.

There is a massive difference between how English & Italian football is reffed though.

If it is going to be a success then ultimately he will have to adapt.

However, the BS & any Fat Sam team are always some of the worst thug/alehouse teams outthere, & we were away.

Why make that adjustment as difficult as possible?

Home (always gives more protection), in a competition reffed somehwere inbetween the Italian & English leagues against a team who are not going to be going 100% seems perfect for him to start.

Then our next game is home against a footballing side.

The only time he would have seen teams like the BS or BBurn playing with a ball on a grass field in Italy is if he had gone to a rugby match by mistake & even then the ball spends more time on the ground.

He's here for 5 years... ease him in gradually.

Am I the only one who sees little point in rushing back a player with a questionable fitness record during a season where the chance of winning the league title has been gone long time? I'd rather we eased him back in, especially given the injury problems we've had in the past rushing players back - Owen & Kewell - and continue to have with Torres and Gerrard to an extent. If the observations of those who have a firm interest in Italian football are correct, and a physically stable Aquilani is worth close to double what we paid for him, then it makes perfect sense to ease him back. When we bought him, people were outraged that we'd signed a player with a very questionable injury record and now people are outraged that the club are doing all they can to ensure that he doesn't break down again and, although a generalisation, a lot of those who were outraged at buying an injury prone player are the ones who are outraged that we are being careful with him, to ensure his injury problems don't continue.

Well then he shouldn't have been bought in the first place.

Let me know when Rafa is culpable.

He gambled, taking advantage of the fact that he was injured, to buy him (in Rafa's eyes) at half price.

He will be praised, or culpable, for that decision, at the end of Aqualini's career, not at the beginning.

I do not know enough about Aqualini as a player to judge whether it was good or bad judgement.

Typically though, Rafa is criticised for not taking risks (which is utterly stupid given his character is such a sterotypical gambler's) & then criticised for taking them

Rather like how "Too many squad players" became "Too much money spent on the 1st team,not enough on the squad".........

I think the sole reason Aqualani has not played is down to our form, and who we played. Firstly, had we been playing well and putting in good performances then I think we would have already seen him for a few more 25 minute appearances. I think had we been winning games and with us 2 or 3 up with 20 mins to go, then Aqualani would have seen play. Instead, we have been struggling and in tough games against opposition that don't play football but clog and batter, which will be fine for Aqualanie once he gets used to playing against that, but not ideal for making a debut in a new foreign league. Rafa has seen this as not a good introduction for a skilfull composed player to try and find his Premiership feet in. I think the game we were most likely to see him in was City, but the two very early injuries put paid to that.

I'd rather have seen more from Aqualani, and against Blackburn would have rather have seen him then El Zhar, but I think Rafa brougt on El Zhar because ElZhar would have known to expect the immediate very heavy challenges and lumping and clogging around the pitch, whereas for Aqualani it may have come as a bit of a shock and may have lessened the impact with only 20 mins left.

Am I the only one who sees little point in rushing back a player with a questionable fitness record during a season where the chance of winning the league title has been gone long time? I'd rather we eased him back in, especially given the injury problems we've had in the past rushing players back - Owen & Kewell - and continue to have with Torres and Gerrard to an extent. If the observations of those who have a firm interest in Italian football are correct, and a physically stable Aquilani is worth close to double what we paid for him, then it makes perfect sense to ease him back. When we bought him, people were outraged that we'd signed a player with a very questionable injury record and now people are outraged that the club are doing all they can to ensure that he doesn't break down again and, although a generalisation, a lot of those who were outraged at buying an injury prone player are the ones who are outraged that we are being careful with him, to ensure his injury problems don't continue.

Playing him for 15 minutes a whole fucking month after he played 20 minutes does not in any way, shape or form constitute rushing him back.

We played Arsenal october 28 and the game against Blackburn was the 5th of december.

He gambled, taking advantage of the fact that he was injured, to buy him (in Rafa's eyes) at half price.

He will be praised, or culpable, for that decision, at the end of Aqualini's career, not at the beginning.

I do not know enough about Aqualini as a player to judge whether it was good or bad judgement.

Typically though, Rafa is criticised for not taking risks (which is utterly stupid given his character is such a sterotypical gambler's) & then criticised for taking them

Rather like how "Too many squad players" became "Too much money spent on the 1st team,not enough on the squad".........

It isn't that complicated.

He bought an injury prone player for £20 Million. You can't spend that sort of money and not play someone because you are scared to play him.

If he then plays him and then gets injured, doesn't that really say something about the signing?

He bought an injury prone player for £20 Million. You can't spend that sort of money and not play someone because you are scared to play him.

If he then plays him and then gets injured, doesn't that really say something about the signing?

No. It says you played him too early and didn't let him fully recover from his injury.

If we had started Torres last week and he broke down again, would that say something about Torres? No, it would say we brought him back too early.

I dont think it is scared to be injured as much as adapting to alehouse hoofball.

He'll have to do it eventually but why not make the adjustment process gradual?

You don't take your 1st driving lesson in pouring rain in the rush-hour on a motorway although ultimately you'll have to drive there as well.

But If Rafa feels that to be the case fine, Any thoughts on what I said regarding the system and no place for him being in the side as a more obvious reason he is not playing?

I don't buy into that at all. Rafa has stated that Aquilani is to play between Mascherano and Gerrard. His best position by all accounts is as the more adventurous of the two centre midfielders.

Again I don't buy this sorry. We have a £20m player of huge talent and were not bringing him on because were not playing well.

As I have said before I'd like to think Aqualini can't wait to test himself against other teams in the prem.

But If Rafa feels that to be the case fine, Any thoughts on what I said regarding the system and no place for him being in the side as a more obvious reason he is not playing?

I definetely think that your theory is a possibility.

Rafa is a probability-based gambler who constantly takes measured risks, if they have positive returns to his belief system.

It is very possible that he saw a chance to grab a £30m asset for £15m so jumped in quickly.

It would be a mistake if he has done this without thinking fully about the system, but it is possible, given his numerical-based, risk-taking character

Playing him for 15 minutes a whole fucking month after he played 20 minutes does not in any way, shape or form constitute rushing him back.

We played Arsenal october 28 and the game against Blackburn was the 5th of december.

In the scheme of things, 15 minutes isn't going to give him match fitness, it wouldn't really do anything to his fitness levels, it'd just increase the likelihood of him being kicked. He needs long periods during games not 10-15 minutes and it makes clear sense to be selective about which teams to play him against. Throwing him into the deep end, in massive games like the derby, or games when were still hoping to progress from the group stage aren't those kinds of games, nor are matches against teams managed by shithouse like Allardyce who appear to routinely instruct their players to stick it up the opposition. I'm as frustrated as the next person about all of this but I think we're doing the right thing by taking our time with him, seeing as we bought him. Whether buying him was the right move, that's another discussion altogether, and one that can't be clearly considered yet anyway because we have no outcome to judge it against.

No. It says you played him too early and didn't let him fully recover from his injury.

If we had started Torres last week and he broke down again, would that say something about Torres? No, it would say we brought him back too early.

Or he is infact an injury prone player who we paid far too much for?

I can appreciate Rafa wanting to play it safe with Aquilani, but we need to be playing him. He offers the possibility of something we do not have at the moment. I think that because of the run that we are on, he is reluctant to open the team up and wants to maintain the two defensive midfielders.

I always felt Rafa was happier with Alonso and Mascherano and finding a place for Gerrard rather than Mascherano and Gerrard in the middle.