You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Aquilani Close to First Team Debut!

WhiskeyJar

Rafa Benitez today confirmed Alberto Aquilani is closing in on a first team debut.

Rafa: Aquilani is improving - Liverpool FC

The Italian international was scheduled to play for the reserves at Wigan last week but the match was postponed.

Despite being questioned for his lack of action so far, the Reds boss insists he is easing the player back to full fitness before giving him his chance.

"It's more simple than people think," said Benitez.

"He has been out for longer than we expected and, because he has been injured during the summer, he couldn't train properly.

"Now it is much better and it is a case of improving his match fitness.

"We want to play him and we thought we might have been able to do that with the reserves at Wigan.

"That was called off (last week) but we had some games at Melwood and he played 45 minutes against our reserves last week.

"We are trying to improve him as quick as we can.

"But when you have a player who is not fit, he is always going to need time to settle in to a game; if the game is tight and he makes mistakes, then you have a problem.

"We want to protect the player but, at the same time, we want to keep winning games; he understands that he needs to be a little bit fitter before he can play."

------------------

Its okay that you want to protect him Rafa but we need a little quality right now.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be ages till we see him my theory is that the deal for him was done on apps so the clowns are making Rafa not play him. Sounds stupid but i wouldnt put it past them twat's. I dont think we will see him propperly till Jan untill we sell someone.

Some theory that Si.

Well it makes sense.

The deal wasnt all upfront aswe know the value of the deal depends on apperences.

If he makes that ammount then we gotta pay up if we play him now then he plays so many then we have to pay and to be honest we are pretty fucked financialy as we all know so i cant see why not.

Personaly i think its what i said we cant afford to play him till we sell someone.

Well it makes sense.

The deal wasnt all upfront aswe know the value of the deal depends on apperences.

If he makes that ammount then we gotta pay up if we play him now then he plays so many then we have to pay and to be honest we are pretty fucked financialy as we all know so i cant see why not.

Personaly i think its what i said we cant afford to play him till we sell someone.

We're running a real risk of missing out on the CL spots if we don't get consistent results, and not having Aquilani makes our chances of getting those results look less likely. The owners wouldn't fuck the CL money up just to prevent them having to pay a few installments to Roma. You've obviously been round at Kuyt's smoking too much skunk.

This whole Aquilani thing beggars belief to me.

I hate to question Rafa ....but I will - How about starting the guy and seeing how he does then taking him off if and when hes knackered (60 minutes or so?) to see if he can contribute to matches rather than waiting till games are over then bringing him on as (alledgedly) he is not fit enough for the physical nature of the games.

V Arsenal he looked OK to me and that was over a month ago and this is an Italian international who has played in explosive games for his country as well as the Roma/Lazio derby - and they're telling me he is not OK to play V Blackburn Rovers. Imo clearly he should play on Saturday (from the start!!!) but we all know he won't. Playing him V Fiorentina - shocking. The more he does not play him the more pressure it puts on him when he eventually does play him in a game which matters.

It will be ages till we see him my theory is that the deal for him was done on apps so the clowns are making Rafa not play him. Sounds stupid but i wouldnt put it past them twat's. I dont think we will see him propperly till Jan untill we sell someone.

Well it makes sense.

Make your mind up, Si.

Rafa bought Aquiliani to play a more expanisve game but no longer wishes to play the game he bought Aquiliani for and Aquaman not playing has absolutely nothing to do with his fitness, so why not just get Stevie operated on and play him in Stevies role, unfortunately its just another example of a manager who has lost the plot