You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Piano Lessons

Flying Pig

To add to my incredibly long list of great things that I can do badly, I am considering taking piano lessons. I can see the money that David Gray and (gods knows why) Elton John make and want a slice. If I start now I could be on a world tour by July.

Has anybody taken piano lessons and did they pack it in after a while? Or can anyone recommend a decent teacher preferably in North Wales?

Imagine how much more Melons would fancy me if I was great on the ivories.

Thanks in advance homos.

• 7 years later...

You can learn a lot of stuff on Youtube, I lived in a house with a baby grand piano a few years back & learned the outro to The Hulk as well as a couple of easy jazz things I liked.

I think lessons would definitely help but Youtube is free so I would have a go at that first & see how you get on before getting more serious about it.

I'd love to be able to play the piano.

• Upvote 1

Guitars get the chicks.

Having played in bands for years I wouldn't say that's necessarily true, the best looking cunt in the band* usually got the birds regardless of what instrument he played.

*This was never me by the way

You can learn a lot of stuff on Youtube, I lived in a house with a baby grand piano a few years back & learned the outro to The Hulk as well as a couple of easy jazz things I liked.

I think lessons would definitely help but Youtube is free so I would have a go at that first & see how you get on before getting more serious about it.

I'd love to be able to play the piano.

Mate, that is literally all you need. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bump.

I want to get an old keyboard and learn piano. I listen to classical piano while coding/studying and find some of it absolutely captivating. Any tips?

Bloody beautiful that mate 

Good luck. I badly wish I could play an instrument. Got bought a guitar for xmas a good 8/9 years ago and I just gave up after a few goes. Should really have taken lessons. Might look into it again because it's fucking cool to be able to play an instrument. 

Years ago, the quiet of a country pub would often be shattered by the invasion of a plethora of bearded and sweaty blokes dressed like cunts who would insist on forming a square and springing about with scarves and sticks and bells while singing he-nonny-no tunelessly.   

Bad enough, you may think.  But no, this has largely been replaced by something far, far worse...

Swarms of equally badly dressed bearded women and men now land upon unsuspecting hostelries armed not with scarves and sticks and bells, but with music stands, cajons, and that scourge of the musician, the ukulele.   Everyone of them tuned slightly differently, they fire up a rough approximation of some erstwhile popular ditty while squinting hard at some piece of paper perched on their metal music stand.  

Stagecraft does not feature large with the ukulele swarm.  What they lack in energy, timing, musicianship, charm, good looks, and star quality, well, they just lack.

They're fucking everywhere these days, and they're cunts.  Piano players, even bad ones, are heroes in comparison. 

• Upvote 2

Years ago, the quiet of a country pub would often be shattered by the invasion of a plethora of bearded and sweaty blokes dressed like cunts who would insist on forming a square and springing about with scarves and sticks and bells while singing he-nonny-no tunelessly.

Bad enough, you may think. But no, this has largely been replaced by something far, far worse...

Swarms of equally badly dressed bearded women and men now land upon unsuspecting hostelries armed not with scarves and sticks and bells, but with music stands, cajons, and that scourge of the musician, the ukulele. Everyone of them tuned slightly differently, they fire up a rough approximation of some erstwhile popular ditty while squinting hard at some piece of paper perched on their metal music stand.

Stagecraft does not feature large with the ukulele swarm. What they lack in energy, timing, musicianship, charm, good looks, and star quality, well, they just lack.

They're fucking everywhere these days, and they're cunts. Piano players, even bad ones, are heroes in comparison.

Haha, spot on that Peter.

Bad enough, you may think.  But no, this has largely been replaced by something far, far worse...

Swarms of equally badly dressed bearded women and men now land upon unsuspecting hostelries armed not with scarves and sticks and bells, but with music stands, cajons, and that scourge of the musician, the ukulele.   Everyone of them tuned slightly differently, they fire up a rough approximation of some erstwhile popular ditty while squinting hard at some piece of paper perched on their metal music stand.  

Stagecraft does not feature large with the ukulele swarm.  What they lack in energy, timing, musicianship, charm, good looks, and star quality, well, they just lack.

They're fucking everywhere these days, and they're cunts. Piano players, even bad ones, are heroes in comparison.

Stringy, that is quite possibly the most succinct and eloquent thing I've ever read on here.

• Upvote 1