You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I want to know...

kopitegaz

... what the opinion of all the Tories, who (from day 1) have been saying its not fair for Gordon Brown to be PM without an election, think about what happened when Maggie got the boot. Although I was only 18, I dont seem to recall the Tories wanting an election back then. Double standards from politicians.... who would have thought it?

This is not a "lets slag Gordon Brown off" thread, though I have no doubt whatsoever that it will turn into one.

According to our constitution there is nothing wrong with an unelected PM. After all it's only the electors of Kirkcaldy that ever get the chance to vote in/out Gordon Brown. The PM is purely first Lord of The Treasury a Primus Inter Pares role. Although with those Pares that doesn't seem much of a challenge.

Personally I think we need to be more realistic and acknowledge the party system in a written constitution. With that acknowledgement should come recognition that no matter how hard you try to tell people they're only voting for Mrs Spriggs from the constituency they will cast their vote depending on who they want to see as PM. More and more so now with 24 hour new media. Future imposition of PM without election should not be allowed.

So either both were ok or both were wrong. This is a constitutional issue not a party lines issue. But people who vote labour, tory, libdem whatever because that's what "we" do and always have done is a bugbear of mine. It's not a footie team you're supporting, learn the fuckin issues.

See, nowhere did I bash that one-eyed Presbyterian, clueless, paranoid, gold-selling, country-bankrupting, stalinist mong now did I?