You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TV Licence

Nomad

I currently live at home with my mum who pays for the TV licence each month.

over the past 2 years I have been getting letters telling me that I personaly have not got a TV licence for my address, they have threatend me with court and police action etc. They also said they are sending investegators to the house.

They tell me that if I call them on a premium rate number they will stop any action being taken and sort out payments.

I called them twice and its still persisting.

1. I dont need a licence if my mum has one for the house do I?

2.If they try and come to the house they have no right to come in do they?

fucking assholes only need to do an adress search to see if it has i licence, is that to much hard work?

sounds iffy to me this. For a start I wouldn't be ringing any fucking premium rate number!

if they want you they can pissing well come round and speak to you in person, even if it IS legit, which I doubt.

Yes thats why Im not bothering, im thinking of allowing them to turn up in the van and when there outside turning the TV towards the window so they can watch

Yes thats why Im not bothering, im thinking of allowing them to turn up in the van and when there outside turning the TV towards the window so they can watch

Someone came round mine about a month ago. No van, just a car, a corsa at that. showed the ID asked for my TV licence, like fuck do i know where it is. Anyway, after some discussion and him being a tit with his little star trek scanner type device i showed him the bit on my bank statement with the money coming out. Turns out i've been paying it registered to the house i lived in over 2 years ago. Oops.

Someone came round mine about a month ago. No van, just a car, a corsa at that. showed the ID asked for my TV licence, like fuck do i know where it is. Anyway, after some discussion and him being a tit with his little star trek scanner type device i showed him the bit on my bank statement with the money coming out. Turns out i've been paying it registered to the house i lived in over 2 years ago. Oops.

Gutted. Hm I wonder if the people living there have had free TV for 2 years.

I ordered a dvd player about 6 years ago and had it delivered to work to save me going to the parcel force depot. Anyway, a week later I started getting similar letters saying I needed a licence for this address.

I either emailed them or went on their website to stop it; can't remember which, but I didnt have to phone or write to them.

When I was in uni we didn't bother getting a license and would get threatening letters every week. Months later we had a knock at the door. I was upstairs and the only one in (watching TV), so I looked out the window to see who is banging on the door and there is a serious meat head outside. Living at the time in a rough part of Liverpool I didn't answer. Yep, it was the tv licence people on a visit, they put yet another letter through the door.

I ordered a dvd player about 6 years ago and had it delivered to work to save me going to the parcel force depot. Anyway, a week later I started getting similar letters saying I needed a licence for this address.

I either emailed them or went on their website to stop it; can't remember which, but I didnt have to phone or write to them.

I think mine down to buying a new TV you have to fill in a form when you but one for some reason

When I was in uni we didn't bother getting a license and would get threatening letters every week. Months later we had a knock at the door. I was upstairs and the only one in (watching TV), so I looked out the window to see who is banging on the door and there is a serious meat head outside. Living at the time in a rough part of Liverpool I didn't answer. Yep, it was the tv licence people on a visit, they put yet another letter through the door.

I think mine down to buying a new TV you have to fill in a form when you but one for some reason

I bought a DVD player last week and they asked me to fill the form out so I put down a false name and address. It's a bit too "Big Brother" for me.

When my mum bought her TV (from Asda) she filled out the form as follows:

Tony Blair

10 Downing Street

London

England

Reminds me of a story when I was a kid. One of the telly detectors knocked on our door and we never had a licence, so my dad quickly grabbed the telly and ran it upstairs, which was no mean feat considering the weight of the fuckers back in the day.

Anyway, my arl man opens the door and informs the fella that we don't have a telly, hence why we don't have a licence. The licence man rightfully doubts this and asks to come in and see. My dad, all cocky, says it's not a problem and lets the fella in to inspect the empty space where the telly once stood. He was right, there was no telly, but the was a big fuck off video recorder with about 80 video boxes scattered around it!

The fella creased himself so much he let my dad off.

• 9 years later...

Giving this thread a boot because I've been wondering why I fucking bother paying at all.

My licence is due on New Years Day, I usually pay £10 or £20 a month over their automated phone system when I can be arsed; it's quick enough and dead easy to do,  but do I get for my  money?

The only program I regularly watch on terrestrial tv is Long Lost Family, and that's on ITV anyway. I hardly ever find mysellf flicking around out of boredom, I'm fully IPTV'd up and find myself watchiing those hooky channels,  and I'll use Kodi on my Android boxes if i want to watch a film  or a box set.

Used to listen to a lot of radio but with bluetooth speakers in several rooms, hifi streamers in the living room, loft and main bedroom, all linked to hooky Spotify and Tune In Radio accounts, giving access to all the radio stations and podcasts I'll ever need. I guess I'm just wondering out loud, what's the fucking point in shelling out  £150 odd, wtf am I getting in return?

My front living room, which you can easily see into from the road doesn't have a telly in it, just an idock, so if the cheeky bastards came snooping then there's nowt to see anyway. My ISP is through VM but I have no telly channels with them, only the internet so what gives?

Reckon I should cancel my licence in January and get my money refunded? Anybody else have any experience of dodging these licence fee tory bastards?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Giving this thread a boot because I've been wondering why I fucking bother paying at all.

My licence is due on New Years Day, I usually pay £10 or £20 a month over their automated phone system when I can be arsed; it's quick enough and dead easy to do,  but do I get for my  money?

The only program I regularly watch on terrestrial tv is Long Lost Family, and that's on ITV anyway. I hardly ever find mysellf flicking around out of boredom, I'm fully IPTV'd up and find myself watchiing those hooky channels,  and I'll use Kodi on my Android boxes if i want to watch a film  or a box set.

Used to listen to a lot of radio but with bluetooth speakers in several rooms, hifi streamers in the living room, loft and main bedroom, all linked to hooky Spotify and Tune In Radio accounts, giving access to all the radio stations and podcasts I'll ever need. I guess I'm just wondering out loud, what's the fucking point in shelling out  £150 odd, wtf am I getting in return?

My front living room, which you can easily see into from the road doesn't have a telly in it, just an idock, so if the cheeky bastards came snooping then there's nowt to see anyway. My ISP is through VM but I have no telly channels with them, only the internet so what gives?

Reckon I should cancel my licence in January and get my money refunded? Anybody else have any experience of dodging these licence fee tory bastards?

My brother cancelled his recently, without breaking into your house I'm not sure what they can do.

My telly is the first thing you see when you look through my window which is the only thing stopping me doing it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

What about all the old people who get loads out of it but don't pay?  You’re helping to subsidise them. There’s a word for it. Can’t bring my self to say it. 

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

My brother cancelled his recently, without breaking into your house I'm not sure what they can do.

My telly is the first thing you see when you look through my window which is the only thing stopping me doing it.

Yup, been thinking the same for a while. Just feels like I'm tossing money away. The outrageous BBC political bias is also another reason why I so rarely watch these days and as a principle it would feel just in fucking them off over that anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I haven't paid a TV licence fee in over ten years. Every 18 months I get a letter asking me to tell them if I watch live TV. If I do they will find out and I will be in trouble. I don't watch live TV and my TV doesn't have an aerial or free view box or broadband TV connection.

I use the following website to tell them I don't need one and renew it within every two years... 

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/about.app

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It doesn't have to be a TV. It's anything with the capability of showing their content I think.

Just don't pay it. The sooner more people tell the corrupt BBC to fuck off the better. We're supposed to live live in one of the most forward thinking countries in the world but it's a criminal offence not to have a licence if you own anything that can show TV.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

It doesn't have to be a TV. It's anything with the capability of showing their content I think.

Just don't pay it. The sooner more people tell the corrupt BBC to fuck off the better. We're supposed to live live in one of the most forward thinking countries in the world but it's a criminal offence not to have a licence if you own anything that can show TV.

Yes it doesn't have to be a TV but they would have to prove that you are watching live TV on any device capable. Most court cases are based on a TV that has an aerial or free view box that broadcasts live pictures to a TV. If the TV doesn't have such a thing, it's hard for it to be proven. 

My sister was threatened as she didn't have a licence a few years ago and her kids were watching cbeebies on TV when licencing knocked on the door. Hard to get out of that. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes it doesn't have to be a TV but they would have to prove that you are watching live TV on any device capable. Most court cases are based on a TV that has an aerial or free view box that broadcasts live pictures to a TV. If the TV doesn't have such a thing, it's hard for it to be proven. 

My sister was threatened as she didn't have a licence a few years ago and her kids were watching cbeebies on TV when licencing knocked on the door. Hard to get out of that. 

Don't let them in?