You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English Language - Pet Hates

The Golden Eel

Only joking mate. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about feminism lately, I find it quite amusing

Comes from waking up to the realisation that most of my problems arise from the lack of strong patriarchal figures in my family history.

• Upvote 1

All those new words and phrases that people throw into political arguments these days: woke, gaslighting, cuck, snowflake, etc.

It was good when I could recognise a Nightcat post by the frequent use of the word cuck, before actually reading that it was him who wrote it.

I've noticed this too. Maybe something to do with age as I've always said 'three' or 'think' sort of minus the h like the soft Irish way but noticed younger people saying 'fink' as in that horrible cockney way.

I put it down to 3 things:

Thick cunts

TV

But particularly, thick cunts who appear on the TV

I’m like pol pot when it comes to the destruction of the scouse dialect, I could quite happily wipe out villages of wankers who say fink or free, especially when representing the city publicly, such as in a podcast.

Capital offences:

Simlar- it’s similar, pronounce the ‘i’s yer dumb fuck

Excetera - well done, dumb arse, to his means the opposite of what you intend

Daggerlish - if you cannot pronounce His name properly, then you are not fit to utter it

Mute point - me mate is an officer in the navy over here, and he droppped this one whilst we were watching the match yesterday.

Why does it feel like there is only one other word for required (i.e. needs)? It's really fucking annoying once you realise how often it is used.

Depending on the scenario, you could throw in obligatory, compulsory, de rigueur, requisite, essential, mandatory.

But only if you need to.

Had an outbreak of agile speak at work in recent years and it's still mindnumbingly stupid to hear people use the term "learn" as a noun instead of "lesson"

(which is obviously far too complex and obscure a term for practical everyday use)

I think you need to learn them how to speak good.

Thick cunts

TV

I’m like pol pot when it comes to the destruction of the scouse dialect, I could quite happily wipe out villages of wankers who say fink or free, especially when representing the city publicly, such as in a podcast.

Capital offences:

Daggerlish - if you cannot pronounce His name properly, then you are not fit to utter it

Mute point - me mate is an officer in the navy over here, and he droppped this one whilst we were watching the match yesterday.

I say film as 'filum', because I'm Irish, and a cunt

Thick cunts

TV

Capital offences:

There's a girl in a cafe near ours who thinks I sound Scottish (!) when I ask for my espresso, presumably because I actually pronounce it correctly (and not "expresso" as she insists on saying).

As for thick cunts on the telly, I heard the presenter on BBC Breakfast this morning say "200 year anniversary". 

Fuck you, Louise Minchin! 

(I like to think Naga Munchetty was shouting that at her telly at home.)