You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English Language - Pet Hates

The Golden Eel

People from the UK speaking with a high rising terminal, the way the Americans, Canadians and Aussies (and probably Kiwis) do. Non-questions end up sounding like questions, and when they describe something it's like that flute player from American Pie talking about this one time at band camp.

estuary English is starting to have a negative affect on the Scouse dialect, too many fucking lame arse ejects saying soft souther shady drinking bastard free instead of the more Irish influenced t(h)ree, more and more with the soft "th"s, they need a good kicking in the bollocks, yer don't fink yer think, yer imbecilic, interbred fucking mongaloid.

I've noticed this too. Maybe something to do with age as I've always said 'three' or 'think' sort of minus the h like the soft Irish way but noticed younger people saying 'fink' as in that horrible cockney way.

Winds me up when people cry arse about the use of the word literally instead of figuratively or virtually.

It can be used in more than just the literal sense, it is also used as a means of exaggeration and has been for a couple of hundred years. Literally has even been used as a form of exaggeration by Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald and James Joyce.

And its in literally every single English dictionary as such:

"Used for emphasis while not being literally true."

So stop moaning, you're trying to make yourself look clever, but you're literally doing the opposite.

Without mentioning a certain sport, but I fucking hate the number of players, managers and commentators who use ‘was’ instead of were.

in my opinion we was robbed today.

It seemed to start with Londoners/cockneys first but it’s spreading further and further and is absolute earaids.

Winds me up when people cry arse about the use of the word literally instead of figuratively or virtually.

It can be used in more than just the literal sense, it is also used as a means of exaggeration and has been for a couple of hundred years. Literally has even been used as a form of exaggeration by Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald and James Joyce.

And its in literally every single English dictionary as such:

"Used for emphasis while not being literally true."

So stop moaning, you're trying to make yourself look clever, but you're literally doing the opposite.

The OED was dead to me the day it made that concession.

Whenever someone says they "literally died" I secretly wish they had.

• Upvote 1

All those new words and phrases that people throw into political arguments these days: woke, gaslighting, cuck, snowflake, etc.

I used to think so too but they're hugely relevant. For example, feminists are trying to normalise cuckoldry and men are forced to go along with it because of no-fault divorce and family courts that punish men.