You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English Language - Pet Hates

The Golden Eel

I struggle with grammar (struggling typing this !) and am prone to most of the peeves that most posters have suggested!

But a certain f******l song always annoys me 'You've never won fuck all'!

It sense no makes?

Sorry but it just really annoys me!

*Whoosh*

I hate the general Americanisation of English (or soon-to-be Americanization).

My friend Wikipedia tells me:

Oxford spelling[citation needed] (or Oxford English Dictionary spelling) is the spelling used by Oxford University Press (OUP). It can be recognized for its use of British spelling combined with the suffix -ize instead of -ise. For instance, organization, privatize and recognizable are used instead of organisation, privatise and recognisable. The spelling is favoured on etymological grounds, in that -ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, -izo, of most -ize verbs.[1] The Oxford English Dictionary (OED), which is published by OUP, explains its use of -ize as follows:

"n mod.F. the suffix has become -iser, alike in words from Greek, as baptiser, évangéliser, organiser, and those formed after them from L., as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser. Hence, some have used the spelling -ise in Eng., as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or Eng. from L. elements, retaining -ize for those of Gr. composition. But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr. -ιζειν, L. -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic. In this Dictionary the termination is uniformly written -ize. (In the Gr. -ιζ-, the i was short, so originally in L., but the double consonant z (= dz, ts) made the syllable long; when the z became a simple consonant, (-idz) became īz, whence Eng. (-aɪz).)

In the last few decades, the suffix -ise has become the more common spelling in the UK. Many people there incorrectly regard -ize as American English, though it has been in use in English since the 16th century.[2] The OED lists the -ise form of words separately, as "a frequent spelling of -IZE...". In digital documents, Oxford spelling can be indicated with the language tag en-GB-oed.

The use of -ize instead of -ise does not affect the spelling of words ending in -yse, such as analyse, paralyse and catalyse, which come from the Greek verb λύω, lyo, not from an -izo verb.

• 8 years later...

I drive my missus to work sometimes and go through Dovecot along the way. We pass this huge sign outside a pub that has on it;

'NO PARTY TO BIG OR SMALL'

and it often makes me think that the person who asked for the sign is dim, the pleb who took the order is dim, the person who put it into the computer to design it is dim, the people who actually made it are dim, and the fella that put it up on the side of the pub is dim.

All in all, poor spelling is getting worse.

your fuck up that one, they only hold parties for clairvoyants....

I despise fick Cockney's and all of the fings they gibber on abart.

Also, "We was.." / "They was..."

Farkin' ell, proppa does my nat in.

estuary English is starting to have a negative affect on the Scouse dialect, too many fucking lame arse ejects saying soft souther shady drinking bastard free instead of the more Irish influenced t(h)ree, more and more with the soft "th"s, they need a good kicking in the bollocks, yer don't fink yer think, yer imbecilic, interbred fucking mongaloid.

whilst we're on the subject of language, the "chatting of wham" - what a load of shite, there are enough perfectly ways to tell someone they are talking shite/bollocks/horlicks (if you are in Wallasey), without having to resort to parroting Atkinson from the Anfield wrap.

MV5BMTA5NDU1ODI1MDVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDI0

'Awesome' is still top for me, Mount Everest is awesome, me buying a steak bake out of your shop is not.

Others on the hit list

Narrative - fuck off

Key - must be the most misused word in the English language, especially by sports pundits

Oh my days - what the fuck?

GOAT - this is a new one that apparently stands for 'greatest of all time', it's shit

• Upvote 5

"Living my best life" seems to be the new saying for girls on social media accompanied by a picture of them on their 7 day all inclusive Thomas Cook holiday in some bellend of a place.

I need a 7 day Thomas Cook all inclusive to be fair. I'm bored out my mind.

Not really the proper thread for this, but: I've been listening to a podcast hosted by two Scottish blokes and one of them consistently uses "not for the first time" and "not for the last time" in reverse, if you will. So he would say "Not for the first time this or that happens", when it clearly was the first time and he means it will happen later on as well. And if he wants to point out something happened before, he will use "not for the last time". And the other guy never corrects him. 

Don't know if this a thing, or just a Scottish thing or just that guy.

• Upvote 1