You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International teams

RedinSweden

Do you support your national team?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support your national team?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I support Scotland - go to most home games and at least one away per season. Wouldn't say I'm particularly patriotic but they're my team and it's a chance to go matches at home & abroad with friends who support loads of different clubs.

I'm not anti-English either but love seeing England lose. When I first got into football they had arseholes like Bryan Robson on the team while we had Dalglish, nowadays I can't face the thought of 'Brave' John Terry, Cashley Cole or Rooney winning the World Cup. Ever since I can remember I've wanted England, Man U, Rangers & Celtic to lose every game they play, can't help it now.

I don't support England but I am interested in the fortunes of the national team and watch the games. I don't think I'd ever pay to see them play, but I reserve the right to get really excited and bandwagony should England reach, say, the WC semi finals. I do have a soft spot for Capello's England, it must be said.

However I also reserve the right to guffaw if it all goes tragically wrong in some dramatic penalty shoot-out.

Been to a few games, always a good laugh with a lot of mates who you otherwise wouldn't go to games with, and sometimes watch them when they're on (given my strong dislike of all thins non-Liverpool that is quite the step) but "support" is a bit strong.

A conversation me and my mate Dirk - that's Kuyt to you, what we call, " normies" - had when Holland where in Glasgow for a friendly three or so months ago pretty much sums it up. Dirk was cracking a few jokes about how bad Lucas is, I told him that while I appreciated the offer I wasn't willing to take part in a three-some with him and his wife, he rejected my plea to flying kick Ferguson on national T.V; anyway, I asked Dirk, rather tentatively, not to score against Scotland; but I told him to get two against Burnley.

In typical Dirk fashion, he hit the post against Scotland and got 1 against Burnley.

To be honest RiS, you've fucked up the poll as per usual. There needs to be an option for "I dont exactly support my national team but then I still take an active interest in said international games. I like to disassociate myself from everything English, however I cant get away from the fact that this was where I was born. At the same time it is very very difficult to support a team of players mainly from other teams than Liverpool, especially Rooney, Lampard, Cashley and Terry. For these reasons I am begrudgingly sitting on the fence."

Poor form Jim, poor form.

I vote for this option. Well, I would if the poll hadn't been RiSed up.

I would qualify for Ireland, England and Denmark (by virtue of a Danish grandparent).

I follow Ireland though, took more notice of England when an abundance of our lads played for them, but was never really a fan. Never felt that much affinity for Denmark in all honesty.

North Korea will be my choice of viewing at the summers World Cup.

I would like England to do well, but I cannot stand Ingerlund, with all that JT Captain Courageous, 3 lions on the chest, band playing the Great Escape theme, shitty World Cup song, 1966 an' all that, proud in defeat on penalties bollocks.

The only national team I've never liked is Sweden, especially under Lars Lagerback. The stereotypical functional, organised, dour football. I thought this of Norway too, but they haven't appeared to sully international tournaments for a while now. More recently, I've developed a dislike for Portugal because they embody the diving cunt mentality.

Both Scotland and Wales need to give it a rest with their "noble failure" syndrome. We know neither nation is populous so cannot be expected to go toe-to-toe with the best, but they have produced enough talent over the years to do far far better than they have. Look at Denmark. It's all that "proud to be Scottish/Welsh" bollocks that they always hide behind, without ever saying what exactly it is they're proud of. Maybe they don't actually know.

In terms of coaches, I hope Bora Milutinovic doesn't get a coaching job at one of the World Cup finalists. The Africans in particular tend to chop and change prior to tournaments so he could yet get the call. If so, we are in for "10-men behind the ball, keep it tight, don't even try to win the match" style football. Oh the joy!

I would like England to do well, but I cannot stand Ingerlund, with all that JT Captain Courageous, 3 lions on the chest, band playing the Great Escape theme, shitty World Cup song, 1966 an' all that, proud in defeat on penalties bollocks.

This apart from the wanting them to do well part. I hope the get twatted.

Pisses me off that majority of their fans demand a reason as to why I don't support them.

In saying that though, the World Cup is fucking quality!

I support England but they are a distant second to Liverpool. By and large I find qualifying for international tournaments a bit tedious, and I find myself hoping our boys come back in one piece occupies my mind more than the results themselves. Occasionally there is a big qualifying game, but more often than not the games do not exactly set the pulse racing.

Come tournament time (World Cup or Euros) then it is game on, and I get into it quite a bit more; but again, the passion is a distant second to following Liverpool.

Most of my family tended to support Scotland in the 80s due to the Liverpool connection at the time, but I was always an England fan up to the point where they became a disgrace.

I don't support anyone else especially though, I'm just hoping to see some good footy and avoid the national papers.

You´re english? I thought that you´re swedish.

Anyway, I support our national team. I supported Czechoslovakia since I was a small child and then continue to support Slovakia after we gained independence.

As a little boy ( I am born in 1978 ) I started to watch footy when I was 4-5 years old. I watched espana 82 ( at least father told me, I don´t remember) but when Mexico 86 took place I watched already almost every game.

The matter is that before the iron curtain fell in 1989, we in Eastern Europe haven´t had chance to follow top leagues from Western Europe. So we followed international footbal which was more often to see. And since 1986 England was my 2nd team behind our national team. And when I have fallen in love with Gascoigne in Italia 1990 I liked English national team as much as my own. And it is the same until now.

But the question was, if I am fan of our national team ( Slovakia). Yes I am a big fan.

Going off my grandparents, I am half Scottish and half german, although the germans were born in Latvia and Namibia. I was born in England though, if Bury counts, and my dad and his siblings were all born in England too after their parents had moved down. So, I support England, but I always want scotland to do well. And latvia. Never really support germany unless they are playing Belgium.

I support the US, and hate half the team.

Who do you hate? I agree that more than half the team is useless, annoying dead weight, but they're hardly hate-able. Unless you're talking about Donovan....he seems to rub people the wrong way....

(For the record I think he's by far the most valuable guy on the team. But I can understand why people find him annoying.)