You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International teams

RedinSweden

Do you support your national team?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support your national team?

I know that Engurland get a lot of shit on here, but I have always watched the matches and supported them. It helps a bit being away from all the shit in the press, but I still reckon i would if I lived in England again. I just always have.

Anyway, it got me thinking about how many on here do support their national team.

So, we need a poll. For the purposes of the poll, your national team means one that you are eligible to play for.

OK?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Engurland get a lot of shit on here, but I have always watched the matches and supported them. It helps a bit being away from all the shit in the press, but I still reckon i would if I lived in England again. I just always have.

Anyway, it got me thinking about how many on here do support their national team.

So, we need a poll. For the purposes of the poll, your national team means one that you are eligible to play for.

OK?

You´re english? I thought that you´re swedish.

Anyway, I support our national team. I supported Czechoslovakia since I was a small child and then continue to support Slovakia after we gained independence.

As a little boy ( I am born in 1978 ) I started to watch footy when I was 4-5 years old. I watched espana 82 ( at least father told me, I don´t remember) but when Mexico 86 took place I watched already almost every game.

The matter is that before the iron curtain fell in 1989, we in Eastern Europe haven´t had chance to follow top leagues from Western Europe. So we followed international footbal which was more often to see. And since 1986 England was my 2nd team behind our national team. And when I have fallen in love with Gascoigne in Italia 1990 I liked English national team as much as my own. And it is the same until now.

But the question was, if I am fan of our national team ( Slovakia). Yes I am a big fan.

I sort of support England, but truthfully I won't ever watch them if a Liverpool player is not in the team. I don't get the support of foreign countries, mind you. All this nonsense about English Liverpool fans hating the English national team and "supporting"" Spain is idiotic.

i did when i was a kid but i dont hardly watch them now.if theres no other good teams playing on the box and theres fuck all else on tele? i'll stick it on out of boredom.

its our media that piss me off more than anything! they act like were fucking brazil and expect us to win everything when were clearly shite.

another reason the press go after international managers is because when they realize that there '2/3 weeks all expenses paid jolly up in the summer' is under serious threat! thats why i love it when we fail to qualify!

Not really, Canada does have a national team but they're horribly shit. I don't think I've ever even seen them play to be honest.

Our best players usually are eligible for another country and play for them: Owen Hargreaves, Jonathan de Guzman, etc. except when they aren't very good like Iain Hume(scotland), Julien de Guzman(holland), Tomasz Radzinski(Poland, and spelled incorrectly I assume), etc.

Didn't scored a goal in our one world cup berth, didn't score a goal in our confederations cup berth, but Canada did manage to win a goal medal in the Olympics for football.... in 1904.

Oh, and I'd qualify to play for Canada and Ukraine.

Not really, Canada does have a national team but they're horribly shit. I don't think I've ever even seen them play to be honest.

Our best players usually are eligible for another country and play for them: Owen Hargreaves, Jonathan de Guzman, etc. except when they aren't very good like Iain Hume(scotland), Julien de Guzman(holland), Tomasz Radzinski(Poland, and spelled incorrectly I assume), etc.

Didn't scored a goal in our one world cup berth, didn't score a goal in our confederations cup berth, but Canada did manage to win a goal medal in the Olympics for football.... in 1904.

Oh, and I'd qualify to play for Canada and Ukraine.

(And didn't England win a gold medal in the Olympics for [ice] hockey a long time ago? Strange.)

I enjoy following my national team (the USA). They don't have good enough players to be able to compete with the better football nations, but are tough to beat and usually make for one or two entertaining WC games. The expectations aren't high, so the media coverage isn't over-the-top, something that puts me off about the England team.

But the fact that so many injuries occur during international breaks tempers my enthusiasm a bit. It's annoying for club success.

I'm from Northern Ireland and i support Northern Ireland. Used to kind of like England when i was younger but am seriously bored by that now. Every so often another side will come along that i like and want to see do well (Croatia 96, Slovenia 2000) but really, Northern Ireland aside, international football is what i consider "time off to relax"

Genuinely couldn't give a shit, haven't supported England properly since 98, took an interest in 2002 but the wags shite at the last world cup was the final nail in the coffin.

I've never been one for all this 'I'm not English I'm scouse' bollocks mind you, I am English, but I just think it's a squad of horrible bastards, the fans are bellends, the national press are disgrace. I don't want anything at all to do with it. If anyone thinks this squad of England players gives a shit too, they must be nuts.

I'd be quite happy to see England win the World Cup but not in the same league as happy as I would be to see Liverpool win the Carling Cup.

I just can't get motivated enough to enjoy watching England at all. Aside from the 5-1 against Germany (it was basically Liverpool who won that) and the 4-0 against Holland, I can't remember a game involving England that I've got any form of real joy over.

The interest stirs during the big tournaments but only as an inferior substitute to quench one's thirst because Liverpool aren't playing.

Strangely enough though, despite not getting rugby at all, I did feel a sense of pride watching England in the Rugby World Cup, seeing the veins bursting out of Dallaglio's neck during a warm up. If the football team demonstrated half of that level of pride and grit as opposed to the arrogance they usually show it would be a start.

i want england to win but i wouldn't lose any sleep if they didn't.if i was going out and england were on tv i wouldn't be bothered about recording it,now if it was liverpool and i wasn't going the game i wouldn't even go out i'd make sure i was staying in to watch it or down the pub.

I'm English and would also qualify to play for Scotland.

I remember growing up wanting Hansen, Souness and Dalglish to do well and then in 86 being pleased when they went out after Hansen was left out by slur.

I was always brought up with a bit of hostility to England bcause of their fans and a general leftie scepticism of anything involving nationalistic flag-waving and members of the Royal family.

I got caught up in weatching England in 1990 and again in the latter stages of Euro '96, and i was in a shared student house in London in '98 so ended up following that campaign. Since then, apart from 2001, I've hardly given a shit. I wnet made when Croch and Gerrard scored againist T&T last time round to shut up a hostile pub full of Mancs and cockneys and I probably watch some of their games this time round. I've only been genuinely disappointed at England losing a few times - the penalties in 90, 96 and 98. Basically, pleased if they win, especially if there are some of our lads in the team, but the idea of Mongo being lionised like Bobbly bloody Moore if he's captain and tehy win a trophy is too awful to contemplate.

To be honest RiS, you've fucked up the poll as per usual. There needs to be an option for "I dont exactly support my national team but then I still take an active interest in said international games. I like to disassociate myself from everything English, however I cant get away from the fact that this was where I was born. At the same time it is very very difficult to support a team of players mainly from other teams than Liverpool, especially Rooney, Lampard, Cashley and Terry. For these reasons I am begrudgingly sitting on the fence."

Poor form Jim, poor form.