You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Dalglish is number one, the rest are in no particular order. Had to include Liddell, as I heard so many boss things about him from my dad and granddad. Ian Callaghan, McDermott and Molby all unlucky to miss out, but I had to include Hughes. Ten isn’t enough!

1. Dalglish

2. Souness

3. Gerrard

4. Barnes

5. Hansen

6. Keegan 

7. Hughes

8. Rush

9. Clemence

10. Liddell

I remember the stories about Liddell to, once as a kid going into the ground, Billy Liddell was getting out of his car and me Dad made me look at him, " there's Billy Liddell Lad" 

Another one they used to mention as a favourite player of the time, a bit later mind, was Geoff Strong, who could play anywhere apparently, maybe he wouldn'take the list but worthy of a mention, and yes 10 is not enough as I'd like to name the lot who put on the Red shirt, probably be easier naming the not so good. 

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

I remember the stories about Liddell to, once as a kid going into the ground, Billy Liddell was getting out of his car and me Dad made me look at him, " there's Billy Liddell Lad" 

Another one they used to mention as a favourite player of the time, a bit later mind, was Geoff Strong, who could play anywhere apparently, maybe he wouldn'take the list but worthy of a mention, and yes 10 is not enough as I'd like to name the lot who put on the Red shirt, probably be easier naming the not so good. 

The 1965 FA Cup winning team are all Liverpool legends, aren’t they.

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

One season.

He belongs in their top ten for that. Simply because naming players like Kevin ratcliffe in your best ten is embarrassing for the fans. Same for Peter Beardsley.

Just now, Tony Moanero said:

The 1965 FA Cup winning team are all Liverpool legends, aren’t they.

I would say so, before my time but me mum and dad where there. Byrne, Stevenson Lawler. Wasn't that the first time they wore the all red strip? Shanks telling Yeats to put them on to see how it looked. 

My uncle who died the other year was obsessed with Billy Liddell to the point of stalking him. My uncle was dead and non verbal but used notepadsp to communicate. Basically every written conversation was about Billy Liddell.

His son cleared out the loft after he died and found Billy Liddell's signed shirt from the 1950 FA Cup final. He probably met him and stalked him until he gave him his shirt to leave him alone.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, The Guest said:

Football is constantly evolving and you have to take that into account.  If you put that shocking in 2010 team with Konchesky and Jovanovic etc in a time machine and travelled them back to 1978 they would run rings around Dalglish and Souness etc

69E85FBE-58C3-4B76-9200-48AA7697FEBC.gif

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

My uncle who died the other year was obsessed with Billy Liddell to the point of stalking him. My uncle was dead and non verbal but used notepadsp to communicate. Basically every written conversation was about Billy Liddell.

His son cleared out the loft after he died and found Billy Liddell's signed shirt from the 1950 FA Cup final. He probably met him and stalked him until he gave him his shirt to leave him alone.

Haha, that shirt would be great to have, as mentioned above, some older fella said once, although Evertonians we would try to get in Anfield to see Liddell when Everton was away.

23 hours ago, The Guest said:

Football is constantly evolving and you have to take that into account.  If you put that shocking in 2010 team with Konchesky and Jovanovic etc in a time machine and travelled them back to 1978 they would run rings around Dalglish and Souness etc.  They would just outrun them for a start but on top of that they would just keep the ball better and be far more tactically aware.  The training and education of players is just astronomically better.  If you watch old games even from 20s years ago there’s just so much launching the ball under no pressure.  I watched the famous Liverpool Leeds charity shield game the other week and the standard was comically bad looking back now.  Some people just outright refuse to see it though.

When comparing Souness to Gerrard it’s unfair on Souness because he was born decades earlier.  If he’d have been born the same year as  Gerrard I’ve no doubt he’d have been a better player than he was because he would have worked under the same training methods, played on better pitches etc but there’s nothing to say he would have been the player Gerrard was for me.  When there’s people actually saying he was a better player dominating midfields and stuff i honestly find it hilarious.  He just did not have the variety and set of skills Gerrard had.  When you bring up tactical awareness etc you need to get a grip.  Go back and watch some old games.  They’re absolutely wide open constantly.  It’s relative obviously but you’re living in a fantasy land.  I’m giving Souness a massive benefit of the doubt.  I’m not just whitewashing what he was at his time he is nowhere near Gerrard.

Can you put whatever you were drinking yesterday on the alcohol lockdown thread on the GF please 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lovely looking shirt, that.

e0awxP2uT_PtTMiJXBsgqvLGrnZtLEqnLELJiDD7

15 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Haha, that shirt would be great to have, as mentioned above, some older fella said once, although Evertonians we would try to get in Anfield to see Liddell when Everton was away.

Should have said "deaf" rather than dead.

He somehow managed to blag his way onto Liverpools tour of New York in 1963 as the official photographer even though he just did it as a hobby. 

He had sone really good colour photos of the team at the Statue of Liberty and the Ed Sullivan show.

I think Bill Kenwright used to love Billy Liddell and go to watch Liverpool because of him as well.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Should have said "deaf" rather than dead.

He somehow managed to blag his way onto Liverpools tour of New York in 1963 as the official photographer even though he just did it as a hobby. 

He had sone really good colour photos of the team at the Statue of Liberty and the Ed Sullivan show.

I think Bill Kenwright used to love Billy Liddell and go to watch Liverpool because of him as well.

They'd be good to have or see, could be the time when Shanks couldn't believe no one had heard of Tom Finney. 

People are too emotional about it all.  Go and watch a game from the 70s or 80s and look at the vast difference to now.  I find the funniest clips to be ones of Maradona doing stuff 12 year old kids can do these days and the comments sections are always full of the general public talking as if no player has ever done anything like it since.  These players were obviously fantastic at the time and were pioneers but the skills, positioning and reading of the game that were the top of the game have since been taught and implemented generation on generation.  Those teams of that time would struggle to beat 4th tier teams now.

• Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, The Guest said:

People are too emotional about it all.  Go and watch a game from the 70s or 80s and look at the vast difference to now.  I find the funniest clips to be ones of Maradona doing stuff 12 year old kids can do these days and the comments sections are always full of the general public talking as if no player has ever done anything like it since.  These players were obviously fantastic at the time and were pioneers but the skills, positioning and reading of the game that were the top of the game have since been taught and implemented generation on generation.  Those teams of that time would struggle to beat 4th tier teams now.

You are still drinking the turps again today? Impressive.

46 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Just stop drinking and posting. 

Go for a lie down, sleep it off and keep a low profile for a couple of days and we won’t take the piss too much. 

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I think the true greats of the game would be able to translate their skills to today quite easily. Some wouldn't through lack of athleticism or physicality, but most would.

The difference is the style of play. Every game I watch from the 70's until about the mid to late 2000's is so up and down and is basically all hoof ball and balls down the channels. It's a bit hard to watch for me. For the most part, football is so much more structured now in the build up.

• Upvote 3

Good boy, now go back in the basement your mommy will bring the tea in a bit.