You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

I was born in 85 I’ve watched plenty of old games of Liverpool and other teams.  I had all the European cup finals and the road to the finals on a dvd.  I had the 80s cup finals against Everton as well before YouTube even existed.  I’ve watched plenty of big match revisited when I was at Uni.  I honestly watch football non stop.  I reckon about 90% of English top flight matches that are televised and don’t clash with another and plenty of lower league games as well.  There’s no shame in watching old games on YouTube either because you can actually get the whole 90 mins of matches instead of chopped highlights.  I’ve watched hours and hours of old world cups as well.

If you are watching these old games like I have done then you’re either clueless or watching it with rose tinted spectacles on if you think the standard isn’t absolutely dire compared to now.  The amount of punting the ball under no pressure, laughably bad positioning and comical mistakes on the ball makes the current women’s game look reasonable.  The likelihood is you aren’t bothering to watch anything and just talking shite without actually thinking about any of it.

• Downvote 4

13 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I was born in 85 I’ve watched plenty of old games of Liverpool and other teams.  I had all the European cup finals and the road to the finals on a dvd.  I had the 80s cup finals against Everton as well before YouTube even existed.  I’ve watched plenty of big match revisited when I was at Uni.  I honestly watch football non stop.  I reckon about 90% of English top flight matches that are televised and don’t clash with another and plenty of lower league games as well.  There’s no shame in watching old games on YouTube either because you can actually get the whole 90 mins of matches instead of chopped highlights.  I’ve watched hours and hours of old world cups as well.

If you are watching these old games like I have done then you’re either clueless or watching it with rose tinted spectacles on if you think the standard isn’t absolutely dire compared to now.  The amount of punting the ball under no pressure, laughably bad positioning and comical mistakes on the ball makes the current women’s game look reasonable.  The likelihood is you aren’t bothering to watch anything and just talking shite without actually thinking about any of it.

Some of us went to hundreds of games back in the 1970s and 80s and know for a fact those games didn't always consist of hopeful punts and long hopeless passes.

There are far worse teams in the PL today than there were in the top tier back then also. 

If your only knowledge of the 70s and 80s is youtube then you are talking through your arse.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I remember when tennis racquets were made of wood.

In fact, golf clubs were different awhile back too.

I think Tennis is a really good example.  If you took a semi pro back now they would twat McEnroe etc all over the shop.  Players now have come into the game as children having to react a lot quicker because the surfaces are quicker and the rackets mean you can hit the ball harder.  Years and years of exposure to.  They’re physically fitter and stronger because training has evolved and diets are better because science has moved on there as well.  So many new techniques exist now that didn’t then.  You could give a peak McEnroe a new racket and put him on a faster surface and he wouldn’t suddenly be able to handle the pace.

As I said earlier that doesn’t mean McEnroe wouldn’t be up there with the current top crop had he been born the same time and been exposed to all the same things but that’s not the point I’ve been making obviously.  I’m just stating this again because people who come late into a conversation tend to start chatting shite about things which were ironed out at the beginning and were nothing to do with the original point.

34 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The only one talking shit unfortunately is you. Everyone else is an idiot.

29 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Some of us went to hundreds of games back in the 1970s and 80s and know for a fact those games didn't always consist of hopeful punts and long hopeless passes.

There are far worse teams in the PL today than there were in the top tier back then also. 

If your only knowledge of the 70s and 80s is youtube then you are talking through your arse.

Literally cannot believe the shite he is continuing to spew, quadrupling down on stupid.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is a great example of the monetization of mediocrity. All of a bunch - except the very best who have that something the others don't.

McEnroe had it in spades.

I think mediocrity is wrong.  It’s just the boringness of it.  Money has turned sport ruthless.  Years ago there were plenty of characters in every sport.  They tended to have natural ability and whoever had the most or could combine it with more drive to improve was the best.  Now though every thing about an individual is monitored to the nth degree because if it isn’t the person/team who is doing it will be better.  All these small details which nobody ever paid attention to in those days because they didn’t have the knowledge, equipment or experience to implement them add up.  It’s made everything a lot more boring.

You would never get a Steve Heighway coming from a University team now.  Footballers just don’t stand a chance unless they’ve been coached and played alongside and against the other top players themselves consistently.  Even the Vardy story that gets parroted as some lower league triumph is a myth.  He was an academy player until 16.  Science has taken over.

13 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

According to you anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Or are you bored and just wumming mate? As usually you talk some sense.

You said I’m an idiot and everyone else is talking shite.  It didn’t make sense.

It’s just an opinion I don’t know why everyone is so rattled by it.  Go and watch any old game you want right now it’s like watching a Sunday league game.  Someone put a video of Van Basten walking 15 metres with a ball unchallenged and then just twatting it at goal as if it’s something you wouldn’t see up and down the country at every single amateur standard.  You see less and less goals like that because sides defend it better at the top level.  I’m honestly shocked how dense people are being on this topic.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Would make a great pub team. Cruyff, Beckanbaur, Zoff, Mueller etc. Worth getting up early standing in the rain eating a soggy bacon butty for.

Haha, what a load of cack the above mentioned where, no vision, no footballing skills basically. 

We where fed on shite in those days weren't we? Bacon Butty included. 

Cruyff? Fuck me what a waste of space that lad was, its painful when you look back to see what was on offer. 

13 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Haha, what a load of cack the above mentioned where, no vision, no footballing skills basically. 

We where fed on shite in those days weren't we? Bacon Butty included. 

Cruyff? Fuck me what a waste of space that lad was, its painful when you look back to see what was on offer. 

Who does a better Cruyff turn? Lallana or Cruyff?

Go and watch some of the 70-71 European cup final.  The full game is on YouTube.  The first ten minutes and neither side has put 5 passes together.  They’ve spent most of it just launching the ball up the pitch under no pressure or unnecessarily dribbling down blind alleys or in the middle of the pitch.  There’s a goal 5 minutes in where the Ajax centre half looks like he’s going to fall over his own feet again under no pressure.  He hits a long ball out wide to the winger who knocks it past his man hits a cross in where there’s one Panathinaikos defender and two Ajax attackers.  The standard is absolutely fucking shocking but no just keep parroting the same shite someone’s told you instead of using your own eyes or memory from 20/30/40 years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2